E92 M3 test drive

Woppum

So went for my first drive of the new M3 today. I should start by saying I had a few reservations. Firstly I thought the new M3 would be no faster in a straight line than my CSL. Obviously I already have a better power to weight ratio so couldn’t really see how the E92 would be any quicker up to 100. Secondly I thought it would be too soft and close to the RS4 that I drove and disliked a couple of weeks back. Lastly I was worried that its size and weight would make this car a big no no.

I phoned up Sytner High Wycombe first thing this morning. Discussed allocation and the wait, then asked about whether the demo was sold. As it turned out the demo would be available from the end of Jan. obviously I have an order elsewhere but wanted to be polite. I arrived at the dealership around half an hour later. A gleaming red with blk leather car was in the forecourt looking totally gorgeous. I looked at every line of the car digging for personal criticism. There was none, well nothing aesthetic I could complain about. I just want bigger brakes. This car looks great, striking, better than the RS4 which looks a little bland by comparison IMHO. Then I notice the tires. The fronts especially looked at if they had done 1200 miles on the Nurburgring, not the road. Someone has been really enjoying themselves in this car!

I stroll in, get a nice Americano and wait a couple of seconds for my salesman to come out. The next half hour we specced up my car, drank my coffee and discussed the best delivery they could get me. As it turns out, a guy had dropped out of his December delivered car so he could get on the list for an SMG. So I could have that…. If I want it wink.gif I ticked all the boxes I wanted and the car came to £59k on the dot, we both thought DSG would be about £2k more so id be looking at £61k if I wanted one of those. Its an expensive car. There is more in it than the RS4 but was it going to be worth £5k more than a well specced new one of those?

Time for the testdrive. We get in and have a play with the i-drive. I told him not to touch, I want to figure it out and see how easy it is. It was easy, nothing hard. So in to the best throttle response, sharpest steering and full beans mode. He drives down the road first. I sit in and notice how quiet and solid the car is under normal driving. Nothing interesting so far then. He pulls over and lets me in.

The clutch and the box is very very good. Not the slightest bit notchy, not heavy, just short and very precise. There wasn’t a stall or a judder for the whole journey. So again much better than the RS4!

As soon as the traffic opened up and I could give this car full chat I did and feck me this car is quick! Faster than the CSL certainly, faster than the RS4, well even more so! It kicks you back in the seat and acceleration is relentless from the off. I really was not expecting this. As I have said before the RS4 felt no quicker than the CSL. More response low down certainly but when the CSL is in the right gear, or indeed through the gears I don’t believe there would be a hair between it and the Audi. This on the other hand would pull enough difference to make a few people very jelous. This car in the dry would quite easily pull 100 in under 10 seconds. In fact as the power cam so early on, it wernt a huge difference in acceleration from the 430 or a Gallardo! I don’t know if this car was a prime example but the acceleration really blew me away.

The car made a great noise, but it was subdued. Even at full chat it was too quiet. Im sure a supersprint would sort this out though, and in fact coupled to that fantastic V8 im sure would make it sound first class.

Hadleing. Well the car is heavy, not rolly, especially in sport mode the car stays very flat, but it is heavy. You can feel the weight is against you in the corners. Too much so really. It was the worst thing about the car. It just didn’t give you the confidence you needed in the corner. In this respect it was no way near as interesting to drive as the CSL. The steering was also too heavy, and the steering wheel too small. It just stopped you (clieche mode on) from feeling one with the car. I am not anti-audi, but again im afraid it was still a better handler than the RS4. sharper and more controllable in the corners. Those special PS2’s are also very good. A perfect in-between the cups and the normal PS2’s giving you great grip in the corners.

The next factor hurt me the most as it effects the new CSL too. The size! It’s a big car, much bigger than the CSL or last gen M3. my favorite roads are rather narrow but in the CSL I can still fly through them and have enough room on the other side for cars to pass without me really having to slow down. In the E92 you have to slow down and really be away of the size. This is a shame. I would get used to the size of it obviously, but this will always hinder thw cars potential.

Interior is very nice. Seats are comfy and materials are first class. There are nice little touches like a seatbelt that comes to meet you when you sit in the car and the I-drive is very useful. I thought the dash was nice and the new position of the on board computer didn’t bother me. In fact I thought it looked more modern.

On the test drive the salesman said that the owner of Sytner had his M3 with them getting its PDI. It was white so I went to have a look. Totally stunning and without doubt the colour I would get. With those fantastic ears and carbon fiber roof this car looked nothing short of the Don of all the current BMW’s. Only making it slightly lower and giving it shiny black shoes would make this car any more impressive.

So im slightly smitten as you can probably tell. Very surprised too. Its interesting. What I said to the salesman is I would only get the car if I thought it was more interesting than the CSL. I thought that would be an impossible target and would safely keep this standard M3 out of my thoughts and keep my wallet in my pocket. Sadly it is a very close call. The acceleration and looks have me won over. It makes the car a lot of fun alone. If I didn’t have the CSL id have this M3 without a doubt, but that’s not the case and the CSL is still a more interesting car to drive, especially in its current set up. Its also made me think that considering how good the E92 M3 is, how fecking good will the next gen CSL be. Staggering is my bet, shaming most cars under £130k. Id even go as far to say the poor 997 Gt3 may have a bit more competition this time round! Im going to sit tight, twiddle my thumbs and count the weeks, days, minutes and seconds until the CSL is released. God that car is good!!! Wow, simply WOW!!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Is it not only 1.5" wider than E46, probably because it was not your car it felt large/strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah im sure to some extent it is that, but it was a big car. Fecking awesome too. Im still tingling now from my test drive. Only the R32, CSL and F430 have only ever made me feel this way. Must resist and wait for CSL... crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well Wapps totally diferent car than the TWO I have driven, neither of which would get past me in any gear!!!!!!!.

Prohaps a head to head if you buy one to see who gets were first Aye. ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have only driven 1 E92 M3 but did get a good hour in it. Driven 2 RS4s for good lengths of time though. The first one I drive was when I had the R32. That left a very good impression. The second one I drove was when I had the CSL and that left me feeling very underwhelmed.

There is no denying the RS4 is very good at doing what it does. Offering fast, comfortable safe fun - but its just not the sports car the M3 is. I wouldnt even say its the 4wd that lets it down in that department, I think its down to the weight at the front. It just dosent seem as poised, keen to adjust at speed. It just offers something different.

In regards to comparing the 2s outright pace. I cant imagine the RS4 living with the M3 on a straight. The M3 a fair bit faster IMO.

The RS4 is great, its had huge praise, it even beat the M3 in Autocar - but for me, and any very keen driver the M3 really is the obvious way to go...

[ QUOTE ]

Well Wapps totally diferent car than the TWO I have driven, neither of which would get past me in any gear!!!!!!!.

Prohaps a head to head if you buy one to see who gets were first Aye. ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah blah blah, I'm tired of reading your praise for the RS4 and constant BMW bashing.... SLEEP5.GIF

Interesting write up Sam, it's nice to see a write up from someone who you can relate to (i.e a fellow CSL driver wink.gif).

I think I'm going to love the new M3, can't wait for a drive in one. My mate gets his white one on Monday, will post a review and some pics next week.

I think you'll love it too. The power really made me giggle.

I know it looks like im slating the RS4, im really not. It just never felt like a sports car to me like the new M3 and even that wasn't sporty enough for me. Really the CSL and M3 are different too, but the M3 is far closer to the CSL than the RS4 is. To me the BMW's are really in whole other category of sportiness.-+

Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts. As you said its very interesting to hear a CSL owners perspective...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif seriously, have you ever actually attempted intercourse with your Audi? yelrotflmao.gif

grin.gif Woppum - great write-up, glad to hear it shifts just not sure I could get over the asthetic problems it has from the rear 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif seriously, have you ever actually attempted intercourse with your Audi? yelrotflmao.gif

grin.gif Woppum - great write-up, glad to hear it shifts just not sure I could get over the asthetic problems it has from the rear 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bazz spent a good looking and stroking its arse but couldn't complain. The pipes are a bit close together but I think that looks more modern to be honest. I think its right. I never liked the 997's Gt3 pipes in the centre to begin with but now looking at the 996 Gt3's now they just look old. Its the same with the R32's actually and I would now say the same for the new M3. I think it might grow on you, but you'll be the judge of that! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bazz spent a good looking and stroking its arse but couldn't complain. The pipes are a bit close together but I think that looks more modern to be honest. I think its right. I never liked the 997's Gt3 pipes in the centre to begin with but now looking at the 996 Gt3's now they just look old. Its the same with the R32's actually and I would now say the same for the new M3. I think it might grow on you, but you'll be the judge of that! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My only criticism of the E92 M3 is the fact you can see the rear exhaust silencer, if that was hidden I wouldn't have an issue at all. The spacing of them is fine IMO.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, b ut I'm still gonna ask!! grin.gif Did you have a look at the MPG?? tongue.gif

I did take a peak but I refused to be that interested. I averaged 16.6 for the journey which really wasnt that bad considering I did cain it quite alot. It wont be as frugal as the CSL, but you wouldn't expect it to be. My guess is take off a couple of miles from what you are used to. I get 18 in the CSL so id expect to get 16 ish in the E92. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah blah blah, I'm tired of reading your praise for the RS4 and constant BMW bashing.... SLEEP5.GIF

Interesting write up Sam, it's nice to see a write up from someone who you can relate to (i.e a fellow CSL driver wink.gif).

I think I'm going to love the new M3, can't wait for a drive in one. My mate gets his white one on Monday, will post a review and some pics next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mills it's not bashing it, it's a good car, but if we don't have an opinoin on what we think is the BEST then......................... well coffee.gif

Wapps has his opinion and good on him for loving it, but most don't and these are your guys (BMW M3 lovers)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have only driven 1 E92 M3 but did get a good hour in it. Driven 2 RS4s for good lengths of time though. The first one I drive was when I had the R32. That left a very good impression. The second one I drove was when I had the CSL and that left me feeling very underwhelmed.

There is no denying the RS4 is very good at doing what it does. Offering fast, comfortable safe fun - but its just not the sports car the M3 is. I wouldnt even say its the 4wd that lets it down in that department, I think its down to the weight at the front. It just dosent seem as poised, keen to adjust at speed. It just offers something different.

In regards to comparing the 2s outright pace. I cant imagine the RS4 living with the M3 on a straight. The M3 a fair bit faster IMO.

The RS4 is great, its had huge praise, it even beat the M3 in Autocar - but for me, and any very keen driver the M3 really is the obvious way to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Wapps glad you love the car. I just feel you did not drive the best of the RS4's. SMOKE6.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know where i live............. jump.gif Ow crist please don't let these guys know what I do all day 169144-ok.gif

I tell ya I would love to buy the M3 if it was free of some things I can't enjoy.......... one day maybe.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Wapps glad you love the car. I just feel you did not drive the best of the RS4's. SMOKE6.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be the case that the last RS4 I drove was not as good the best of them out there, but im only going on what I know. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mills it's not bashing it, it's a good car, but if we don't have an opinoin on what we think is the BEST then......................... well coffee.gif

Wapps has his opinion and good on him for loving it, but most don't and these are your guys (BMW M3 lovers)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found it to be the CSL lovers that don't like the new M3, some of them don't seem to understand that the CSL and E92 M3 are completely different cars, Wopps is aware of that fact and isn't really directly comparing like for like.

I love the RS4, so much so that I almost bought one a few months ago....I still quite fancy one, and if I'm honest there is a much greater chance of seeing me in an RS4 than a new M3.

Mind you, I might just keep saving for that white 997 GT3! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I averaged 16.6 for the journey which really wasnt that bad considering I did cain it quite alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, when EVO drove it in Spain, they got low teens out of it, but it's now a 4 litre V8, FFS, so anyone expecting to get the same mpg as the E46 has got to be out of their box.

EVO also put the RS4 and the E92 M3 pretty much on a par for all out pace, but, IIRC, they chose the M3 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

EVO also put the RS4 and the E92 M3 pretty much on a par for all out pace, but, IIRC, they chose the M3

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I did see that on pace they were rated very similar, the M3 is only supposed to be marginly faster. Maybe it is, maybe it just feels much quicker - however I think its more than that. Maybe mine was a very good example?