Diesel Chipping for 330d (204hp engine)

BuggyBen

I have a 330d Saloon with the 184hp engine which i chipped using a plug and play chip that I got from someone on ebay for £190.

I can start by saying that I used to do loads of miles and I added the chip at 74k miles and it has now done 153k. The performance jump was noticeable as in it was more revy and the turbo felt smother but more powerful....Great! It’s consistently returned between 38 and 40 mpg in all the time I have driven it. Again, great!

Problem is (nice problem) Ive just ordered a 56 plate E46 330d convertible that I get in 5 days with the 204hp engine. (I honestly cant wait!) I want to chip it but cant find a review or any description of diesel chip manufacturers. They all claim great results but range massively in power and price. (the Schnitzer one was £1500!)

So could people add any personal experiences (good or bad)they have had and let me know who made it.

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it’s a 10 month old car Im a little worried about the warrantee issues that BMW warned me about. (i.e. invalid)

With a bolt on chip at least I can take it off quickly and they are none the wiser. I guess a re-map is detectable and therefore my warrantee invalidated.

Were the feeding me a load of horsedung.gif because they can’t offer the service?

What about remaps from Hartge, Alpina or similar which have close ties to the factory - are they more acceptable to a dealer? Speak to a different dealer and see if they'll recommend someone and/or allow the mod with the exception of any direct damage caused by it. Different dealers, different attitudes. My Audi dealer isn't bothered about my remap.

As mentioned earlier, I'd steer well clear of one of those crappy tuning boxes that just make the car dump more fuel into the engine - especially on a 10 month old car.

Not really familiar with offerings for BMW's but can you get a switchable map from Superchips et al?

Just spoke to Mike Cooper at DMS..... What a nice bloke!

£695 to come to me and he thinks its about 260hp and 550torque which is a great improvement.

Apparently is undetectable by BMW service and they will guarantee it for 3 years.

He directed me to Evo Review as a review of their service

Sounds like Im sold if I don’t hear anything else.

[ QUOTE ]

Just spoke to Mike Cooper at DMS..... What a nice bloke!

£695 to come to me and he thinks its about 260hp and 550torque which is a great improvement.

Apparently is undetectable by BMW service and they will guarantee it for 3 years.

He directed me to Evo Review as a review of their service

Sounds like Im sold if I don’t hear anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. Sounds like good news! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I have a 330d Saloon with the 184hp engine which i chipped using a plug and play chip that I got from someone on ebay for £190.

I can start by saying that I used to do loads of miles and I added the chip at 74k miles and it has now done 153k. The performance jump was noticeable as in it was more revy and the turbo felt smother but more powerful....Great! It’s consistently returned between 38 and 40 mpg in all the time I have driven it. Again, great!

Problem is (nice problem) Ive just ordered a 56 plate E46 330d convertible that I get in 5 days with the 204hp engine. (I honestly cant wait!) I want to chip it but cant find a review or any description of diesel chip manufacturers. They all claim great results but range massively in power and price. (the Schnitzer one was £1500!)

So could people add any personal experiences (good or bad)they have had and let me know who made it.

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

We charge £450 on this model. Gains are approx +50bhp and +100nm of torque.

If a re-map is an option, always go for it over a plug and play device. A tuning box will throw up errors related to injection, and a half decent technician will know why. A good re-map will not cause these errors.

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Ben,

I've now had my 330d (204bhp) re-mapped for nearly a year now - and it still amazes me to this day. I did a little review after I had it done on here - and at the time I said the only downside of having the re-map done, was the amount of black smoke that is pumped out when accelerating, hard. I have found ways around that, and that's to try and have your filters changed, half way though your service. The other alternative is to try and use Shell V-power diesel as much as you can, which decreases smoke by a fair margin.

The 204bhp engine is very deceptive. It may only seem like a short increase from the last engine, but in terms of performance and how the power is delivered, it's on another planet. Also, most of the 204bhp bmw owners I have know (including myself) have actually had allot more power than the stated factory figures. Mine was showing nearly 220bhp as stock - and is now running nearly 280bhp and over 430Ib ft of torque.

Performance wise, I won't go into any graphic detailing - because I'll have the 'I never do wrong PC brigade' on my back - but this car seriously, seriously punches way above it's weight.

Up until recently, I travelled all over the place for work and like anyone who still has a little bit of immaturity in them wink.gif I brightened my (what were otherwise boring) journeys up with a little bit of light hearted (but safe grin.gif) competition. One driver of a 997 Carrera 4S was particularly impressed with the way the derv went. It's wayyy quicker than a standard 535d (as my brother will testify ! haha). The fact that's it's a manual also gives it the edge over the 535 and 335 in terms of driving experience.

I'll be selling it in a few week, but one very special experience that will stay with me for a long long time, was the time I was returning from Oxford (M42) back up north. It was a cold March evening and I drove myself into a convoy of Subaru's. Probably returning from some meet. I know us BMW drivers aren't most other road users cup of tea, but the Japanese performance car owners REALLY hate us. The convoy was 'lead' by a 07 plate WRX STI Type UK. They were cruising at a steady pace of around 65-70mph - I upped the speed of my cruise control just enough to pass them and then tuck myself back in and back down to 75ish. After that moment all hell broke loose.

The Subaru's were picking a 'fight' I thought. Like I said before, I won't go into any specific details - but lets just put it this way, there wasn't a car there (including the Type UK) that could keep with the 330. A thumbs up and even a an indication of 'f*cking hell' from them once on a lit up M1 told me the whole story. The Type-UK driver ignored me - the daddy was embarrassingly ripped apart by a tractor.

enjoy it fell

beerchug.gif

• 1 month later...

BMW had my car for 2 days to check it over and have come back with a clean bill of health because I thought it was not as fast as it should be.

Im now going to get it re-mapped but really don’t know who to go for still.

DMS seem the right choice because of reviews but are more than double to anyone else I talk to. I know most of the reasoning behind the price is down to magazine advertising.

The other two companies that seem to come up are Angel and p-torque.

Im happy to pay that sort of money but is it really worth the extra? Any help really appreciated as I do feel very lost.

[ QUOTE ]

BMW had my car for 2 days to check it over and have come back with a clean bill of health because I thought it was not as fast as it should be.

Im now going to get it re-mapped but really don’t know who to go for still.

DMS seem the right choice because of reviews but are more than double to anyone else I talk to. I know most of the reasoning behind the price is down to magazine advertising.

The other two companies that seem to come up are Angel and p-torque.

Im happy to pay that sort of money but is it really worth the extra? Any help really appreciated as I do feel very lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will at ptorque is the best bloke for you. 169144-ok.gif

I have decided to go with P-Torque. They are not really local (over 240 mile round trip) but they offered a good price and seem to get good reviews here and on other forums.

Im booked in for Monday to have a pre and post dyno so I will post the results once I have them.

I can’t wait to see the results as the last bolt on chip I had was rally good and Im hoping for better results from the re-map.