Diesel Chipping for 330d (204hp engine)

BuggyBen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to P-Torque Monday and I thought it would be rude not to report back on what happened.

Basically I now drive a completely different car. If you look at my previous threads I have winged a bit about it feeling like its being held back and the MPG is much lower that I expected. Mainly because I had a 184 hp saloon with 153k on the clock before that felt faster and gave better economy so I really wasn’t happy with my shiny new car.

Anyway the figures that came back after about 2 hours of tweaking were:

262hp (63 gain)

419 torque (118 gain)

All these figures really mean nothing at the end of the day, its how the car feels. The power comes in smooth and strong and it doesn’t seem to have any flat spots in any of the gears. I really feel that this is how that car should have left BMW.

The real shocker is that I have now covered about 450 miles and my average MPG is at 37.5 from nothing over 32 Im driving the car fairly hard as I have been testing out the power at different speeds and gears so I think it could go over the 40 mpg mark if I went on a good run and drove like a normal person

Anyway for what its worth I would (unsurprisingly) highly recommend anyone to Will at P-Torque as he is a really nice guy who obviously know exactly what he’s doing! notworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I went to P-Torque Monday and I thought it would be rude not to report back on what happened.

Basically I now drive a completely different car. If you look at my previous threads I have winged a bit about it feeling like its being held back and the MPG is much lower that I expected. Mainly because I had a 184 hp saloon with 153k on the clock before that felt faster and gave better economy so I really wasn’t happy with my shiny new car.

Anyway the figures that came back after about 2 hours of tweaking were:

262hp (63 gain)

419 torque (118 gain)

All these figures really mean nothing at the end of the day, its how the car feels. The power comes in smooth and strong and it doesn’t seem to have any flat spots in any of the gears. I really feel that this is how that car should have left BMW.

The real shocker is that I have now covered about 450 miles and my average MPG is at 37.5 from nothing over 32 Im driving the car fairly hard as I have been testing out the power at different speeds and gears so I think it could go over the 40 mpg mark if I went on a good run and drove like a normal person

Anyway for what its worth I would (unsurprisingly) highly recommend anyone to Will at P-Torque as he is a really nice guy who obviously know exactly what he’s doing! notworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.

Pleased you are happy Ben, enjoy the new power 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The gains they offer on the 535d look quite small - 10% on the 272PS engine. Probably less on the 286Ps engine. I wonder why?

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually needs changing, another 535d owner noticed the mistake.

Actual gains are 45 - 55bhp and 80 lbs/ft torque

[ QUOTE ]

A dilemma! To be safe, surely it's best to have a detachable kit that you program/de-program at will via the diagnostic port? I have a Superchips Bluefin for my A4 2.0 TDI; it's excellent. Look them up to see if they cover your Beemer.

[/ QUOTE ]

hate to put a downer on things but the Bluefin ups your ecu count everytime you use the thing, this can be seen using the most basic of software like the free vag-com version.

This just shouts "I have been messing with my ECU!!!" to the dealer.

At least Will and the others roll the ECU counter back so it matches what the diagnostics say at BMW/Audi etc. when they plug into your car.

Don't go turning it on/off very often, or better still just leave it on once you have done it once.

Because it is not got enough brain power to do it, it is getting very advanced to do all that, the REVO dongle is the same, Audi said straight away when I took mine in "Oh, so you have chipped your car then?"

Luckily I knew the tech well, and he said they had no problem with it themselves, however the problem now is the computers talk back to Germany when you plug them in, this is so they can check your car has not been tampered with, all decisions whether to give the go ahead on warranty work will no longer be made by your local friendly dealer.

"the computers talk back to Germany when you plug them in, this is so they can check your car has not been tampered with, all decisions whether to give the go ahead on warranty work will no longer be made by your local friendly dealer. "

CRIKEY !!!!!!!

Anyway...

My car is due it's first service (on the BMW Service plan) and I'm looking at getting it re-mapped shortly.

The service indicator is showing 2,000 miles... is it worth hanging on and waiting till the service is done. Also, is there anything that doesn't normally get replaced (like filters) that I should get changed pre-re-map? (other that rear tyres!)

Cheers

Paul

[ QUOTE ]

Because it is not got enough brain power to do it, it is getting very advanced to do all that, the REVO dongle is the same, Audi said straight away when I took mine in "Oh, so you have chipped your car then?"

Luckily I knew the tech well, and he said they had no problem with it themselves, however the problem now is the computers talk back to Germany when you plug them in, this is so they can check your car has not been tampered with, all decisions whether to give the go ahead on warranty work will no longer be made by your local friendly dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your profile list two BMW's but your comment is about Audi so I'm a bit confused. Was it Revo on the Audi?

Overall I'm leaning more and more to not getting the 535d remapped.

I had the A6 TD chipped and used the REVO SPS dongle, that was a while ago now.

Chipping the 535d is a must, however use a company that will come out and re-map the car when needed at no extra cost though as BMW do have a habit of overwriting the ECU from time to time.

Mainly when they upgrade the main cars software, which isn't actually that often, but if your car has not been in for a while you may as well wait till after your service now biscuits.

Also, got to say I was not that impressed with Revo, never really knew if it was that much of a gain, I wouldn't personally use them again.

I had the dongle for my car and couldn't tell if anything was that different, then when I had my 2.0tdi s-line I tried one of the Revo dealers cars, also a 2.0tdi, and couldn't really tell it was that different from mine.

Also I have had a couple of bad experiences with Superchips, we used to be one of their franchises and they were not the best when it came to customers not being that impressed with the remap.

DMS on the 535d was like night and day, after getting my car back from BMW after an I-Drive update I thought the turbo had gone or something, I nearly took it back, but realised after a couple of miles and leaving a 530d for dead that they had wiped the map and it was back to standard.

To be honest you don't deserve to own a 535d if you don't re-map it!! wink.gif

I would encourage you to come and try the P-Torque mapping.

I will offer it for £350 all in. After mapping, you can test drive the new map on the day for as long as you want before paying to make sure you are happy.

I also dont charge to flash the ECU back to tuned state if the dealer feels the need to wipe it off 169144-ok.gif