Carbonfibre Vented Bonnet...

RedRobin

.... sekret.gif

Yes, I've gone and done it! I've just bought an OSIR carbon vented hood and it's in the bodyshop being painted....ALL of the topside painted red. It takes quite a lot of willpower to cover up carbonfibre! The OSIR carbon quality is superb. It's double skin and very stiff. Pics will follow in due course.

I guess I'll have to drive everywhere with my bonnet fully open! grin.gif

1237364-ventedGTIhood2.jpg

I don't know if any GTI owners have checked where the hottest spots are after a drive - Very cool around the air intake and battery side of the engine, warm at front and driver side, but very hot around the turbo area which is where the vent is on this CF bonnet. I lifted my bonnet and was surprised just how hot it was around the turbo when I hovered the palm of my hand after lifting the bonnet. I'm just desperate for justification! grin.gif

post-10081-137914407697_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....No pics of the top unpainted. I wasn't expecting it to arrive until tomorrow and had a busy day today so I just dashed in to inspect and discuss fitting. The bodyshop is a very good accident repair centre and part of my VW dealership - I got a great price and I know and trust their work. They wanted to get it under way asap so it can dry without being baked - My car is on display at the Audi event on Saturday. 169144-ok.gif

Hi Marcus 169144-ok.gif - Paint drying today and fitting tomorrow but I'm expecting a good fit - There's adjustability on the stock brackets etc and the body shop is a top notch accident repair centre whose work I know (they did my rear valance).

I'm not expecting any performance/handling differences! But who knows? grin.gif

I don't know when the next Portsmouth/Brighton meet is yet but the car will be on display this weekend at Castle Combe.

169144-ok.gif

Cheers, Arch - Most people are of the opinion that if any carbon is to be outwardly visible on the Mk5 GTI bonnet, it's better looking to paint the 'sides' and leave the 'centre' carbon rather than leave it all unpainted carbon. I agree with that having seen a totally carbon bonnet on a Mk5 R32 in the flesh.

I like the carbon 'centre' treatment but not on my car - I really like my carbon VeeDub badge, nose, and mirrors, and just think it wouldn't look smart anymore and would just attract too much attention whether admiring or not.

I receive so many positive comments about my car's appearance from people I know and from those I don't. More importantly I like the look of my car as it is now.

1237738-GTI_full804.jpg

169144-ok.gif

post-10081-137914407704_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

I receive so many positive comments about my car's appearance from people I know and from those I don't

[/ QUOTE ]

That's totally understandable - your car looks fantastic. I'm not a big fan of putting bits of carbon fibre onto a car but yours is one of the few I've seen where it works and when it works it works very well.

Burble - Thanks for the big compliment - It's really appreciated 169144-ok.gif.

Arch - I know what you mean when you say "That looks quite good but wrong at the same time" - It's a thin line. I've learnt from creating music that sometimes 'Less Is More'. It would have been too easy to say I've spent it so flaunt it! Large areas of carbonfibre don't look so great anyway imo.

169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

1237738-GTI_full804.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks quite good but wrong at the same time. confused.gif

I think you've made the right choice. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice RR, But I do like it with the carbon showing in the middle......Just right. 169144-ok.gif It picks up the black and red on the front grill.