MIV vs MKV Prices

belperandy

I sold my MIV R32 a while ago to fund a bigger house purchase and I thought I could live without the R:.

Since moving I have slowly been saving up and looking to buy another but this time the MK5 R32.

I was a bit shocked when I saw prices, a lot being the same or above original list price.

From what I read when I used to use this forum a lot MK5 prices wouldn't hold up as well as the MKIV prices or maybe they would be similar certainly not higher.

I bought my MKIV R32 when it was 2 years old. It was mint condition with every optional extra so came to over 27K when new. I paid 17K which was about the going rate at the time.

Now I am looking for the same but a MK5 about 2 years old, not bothered about an extras so would just go for basic spec but I can't find anything near the 17K mark, and I thought optional extras's didn't add much value at all to the second hand sale price. Well it certainly didn't for mine.

Can anyone explain why the prices are so high considering the MK5 is a mass production model unlike the MKIV. If prices don't budge soon I will just have to go without.

Cheers.

Probably VW being greedy as the Mk 4 was such a good seller and they probably thought the Mk 5 would go the same way so stuck the prices up to make more profit...

I've noticed the same because I've been looking at Mk 5's recently. My Mk 4 was £22,500 when I got it at 11 months old but I'd be lucky to find an 11 month old Mk 5 for that now.

I din't think the MKV's retail went up that much from the MIV. I know the MKIV was 22,340 to start with and then went up to 22,590 I belive.

Then the MKV came out I belive the base model came in at 23,722 or at least thats what the parkers guide says the retail was for a 05 one.

After that the price seems to keep climbing slightly and the VW site now says 24,597.

I don't like it how VW do this, by introducing a model and then quietly go about increasing the retail for no reason. Its not like they are increasing the spec.

There is a silver MK5 (DSG) on sale at Hull VW which i saw yesterday and with a quick glance inside it doesnt have many options apart from the full leather seats, its certainly had some mods done as the exhaust isnt standard. The seat bolsters are in poor shape and they have put a price of over 25k for it !. A bog standard DSG was less than that brand new. A second hand modified one should be no where near 25k IMHO so i think it might be there a while 169144-ok.gif

I will also be looking for an R32 next year 5 door dsg. £19,000+ is too much though. Gonna wait till next year, Id be happy to pay £15,000 - £17,000 for one so heres hoping they fall to that bracket by the end of next year, possibly a 2-3 year old model.

Cheers Mook.

There is a drowned one nr rochester that apparently starts up for £16,000 ish, insurance damage, could be a good deal if someone invests a few quid to get it inspected to make sure it's ok. And one on auto trader for £19,000k. Thats not bad, only 13,500 miles. Cheapest one ive found.

Got £18,000 to spend on one, but want to leave a bit for milltek and remap.

Just got to get this planning application in and sell my house, then the search can start properly early next year hopefully... bring on the credit crunch I say and get a good deal at just over trade for someone who doesnt want to give the stealer the satisfaction!!!

Lots of helpful info on here, good forum.

s3nut - your alright, last time I bought a cat D skoda Fabia vrs i couldnt get insurance unless i put it on a jig and it turned out to be wonky, ie cat C!! Filler used on the doors and all sorts. Apparently the people that classify whether they are cat D's or C's can sometimes be young inexperienced people who dont really know what they are on about. Unless you have had it on a jig and can prove the car is fine, with receipts of the repair work etc. otherwise i wont be able to get insurance, like last time. I was not happy as you can imagine. oh well we live and we learn!