Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bazza_g

250gb drive for PS3...

27 posts in this topic

grin.gif I take it this would be ok for the PS3? - one question, is the fact its only 5400rpm going to be noticibly slower? I cant find a faster 250gb 2.5" SATA? 169144-ok.gif

PS3 is designed for 5400rpm drives, as they give off less heat.

grin.gif is the 60gb drive in there already 5,400rpm then? Bonza - it sounds like jobs a goodun 169144-ok.gif

Yes it's a 5400 rpm. 169144-ok.gif

You can use a 7200 drive if you pop it into a PC and set it to quiet mode, but still there is the heat issue.

5400 rpm is fast enough as the machine was designed round that.

grin.gif cool, drive ordered and will be here on Monday for the '2 minute' fitting job. Haven't got any tunes or game saves on the 60gb so will just swap out and not bother to back up. My understanding is that my PlayStation Online data is stored somewhere else on the PS3? 169144-ok.gif

You'll find out soon enough tongue.gif

I thought there was a config file on the HDD, but it's only a few settings if it's lost.

[ QUOTE ]

You'll find out soon enough tongue.gif

I thought there was a config file on the HDD, but it's only a few settings if it's lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif from a guide on the web about upgrading the drive... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If your storage device isn't large enough to handle a full system backup, you can selectively copy data over through the various music, photo, and game menus in the XMB. Your PlayStation Network login and system settings will remain safe on the system during the entire process. After you have your data safely backed up, you can move on to the actual hard-drive swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

grin.gif Top service from scan.co.uk - ordered at 5:30pm last night and arrived at work first thing this morning - screwdrivers at the read this evening yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Top service from scan.co.uk - ordered at 5:30pm last night and arrived at work first thing this morning - screwdrivers at the read this evening yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man I am so jealous - Look forward t=o your report.

grin.gif after a few beers I gave it a go with the wrong screwdriver last night and may have fecked the left hand screw on the old hard drive so I'm still at 60gb for the time being until I can find an appropriate screwdriver smashfreakB.gif

grin.gif finally sorted it - though slightly dissapointed with 'only' 200GB left from a 250GB drive after formatting for the PS3?

crazy.gif had one moment of panic when the PS3 displayed "cannot start, wrong drive found" a couple of times on start up but it appears to be ok now 169144-ok.gif

1240076-15102007%28Medium%29.jpg

post-3095-137914407812_thumb.jpg

The system reserves space, but there are boring techy reasons why you don't ever see the full quota of a disk. grin.gif

Good work Bazza. 169144-ok.gif

I will upgrade mine now grin.gif

grin.gif I've heard of techy reasons for not getting the whole quota but I thought losing 20% of the drive was a bit much, though didn't realise the system reserves space for itself - selfish system 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif I haven't noticed any noise coming from the drive at all, have just started to download a 1gb demo to it and will see if anything changes 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif I think Scan have a 250gb 5,400rpm Samsung drive in the same flavour if you don't fancy Western Dig route 169144-ok.gif

Just a heads up people.... new 320 and 500GB 2.5" drives are on the way shortly.

Will come very handy for PlayTV.

Also Sony has confirmed that you will be able to move your recorded programs about, external hdd`s, usb drives etc in its native mpeg2 format.

Riz 169144-ok.gif

Christ thats so much better than Microsofts policy. I'm thinking of a PS3 in the long term for Blu-Ray, nice to know the system is friendly to tinkering.

The PS3 manual has a section in how to swap out the hard disk for a larger one 169144-ok.gif

The Samsung 500GB hdd is now out.. add this with the PlayTV add-on and youve got a very user friendly PVR for Freeview.

Riz 169144-ok.gif

You need a 2.5" drive, not a desktop 3.5" drive. Biggest at the moment is 500Gb I believe.