250gb drive for PS3...

bazza_g

grin.gif cool, drive ordered and will be here on Monday for the '2 minute' fitting job. Haven't got any tunes or game saves on the 60gb so will just swap out and not bother to back up. My understanding is that my PlayStation Online data is stored somewhere else on the PS3? 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You'll find out soon enough tongue.gif

I thought there was a config file on the HDD, but it's only a few settings if it's lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif from a guide on the web about upgrading the drive... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If your storage device isn't large enough to handle a full system backup, you can selectively copy data over through the various music, photo, and game menus in the XMB. Your PlayStation Network login and system settings will remain safe on the system during the entire process. After you have your data safely backed up, you can move on to the actual hard-drive swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

grin.gif finally sorted it - though slightly dissapointed with 'only' 200GB left from a 250GB drive after formatting for the PS3?

crazy.gif had one moment of panic when the PS3 displayed "cannot start, wrong drive found" a couple of times on start up but it appears to be ok now 169144-ok.gif

1240076-15102007%28Medium%29.jpg

post-3095-137914407812_thumb.jpg

Bazza,

Have you noticed any clicking noises coming from the drive, particularly when idling?

The issue is acknowledged here…

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/...nBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9

…but apparently this doesn't work for the 250GB drive. I am thinking of going the same route as you, but this has put me off...unless you haven't had any issues?

• 4 months later...

Just a heads up people.... new 320 and 500GB 2.5" drives are on the way shortly.

Will come very handy for PlayTV.

Also Sony has confirmed that you will be able to move your recorded programs about, external hdd`s, usb drives etc in its native mpeg2 format.

Riz 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just upgraded my HDD to: TOSHIBA 320GB 5400RPM 8MB SATA-300 2.5"

Took longer to unplug and wipe the dust off than swap the drive, very well designed Mr Sony!

Just restoring the backup and it'll all be done. Not bad for £85.

http://www.dabs4work.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YMZ&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11154,47250000,50540

+++

• 3 months later...