Tesco 99

winrya

I've resisted this post for some time but... my car runs far better on Tesco 99.

I've spent 2 years on optimax and v power and a couple of months back i ran 2 tanks of tesco 99 through it. At the time i was sure;

It ran far smoother from cold,

Idled more quietly

Torque surge was delivered earlier in the rev range with a stronger surge of power up to the red line.

I then went back to vpower as tesco is 15 miles from me. For the past month its felt slightly jerky and tight for the first couple of mins so yesterday i put another tank of tesco 99 in and everything i felt before, i can feel again.

It feels so silky smooth, really quick and much quieter, I've also noticed a slight transmission (sounding??)whine in 1st and 2nd gear at certain rev's which has silenced??.

Maybe its just my car but it runs like a peach on this fuel, was just wondering if anyone else out there has similar findings?

[ QUOTE ]

I've resisted this post for some time but... my car runs far better on Tesco 99.

I've spent 2 years on optimax and v power and a couple of months back i ran 2 tanks of tesco 99 through it. At the time i was sure;

It ran far smoother from cold,

Idled more quietly

Torque surge was delivered earlier in the rev range with a stronger surge of power up to the red line.

I then went back to vpower as tesco is 15 miles from me. For the past month its felt slightly jerky and tight for the first couple of mins so yesterday i put another tank of tesco 99 in and everything i felt before, i can feel again.

It feels so silky smooth, really quick and much quieter, I've also noticed a slight transmission (sounding??)whine in 1st and 2nd gear at certain rev's which has silenced??.

Maybe its just my car but it runs like a peach on this fuel, was just wondering if anyone else out there has similar findings?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Those are all very strong reasons to change to Tesco 99 and also I'm surprised that you find such differences. I have exclusively run Shell Optimax and V-Power.

I'm not a fan of Tescos as a whole organisation and prefer not to buy anything from them.

[ QUOTE ]

I ran my old Sportback 2.0TFSI on Tesco 99, not only was it 2p litre less than Optimax where I am, the car seemed to run a damn site better. It also gave excellent results (negligable retard) when remapped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its good to see others with similar findings. 5p off a litre vouchers are also nice.

I agree with you red in regards to tesco and the way it runs but for me they offer the best prices, service and range. As much as I dislike the walmart approach, its great for its customers.

I have a Tesco's about half a mile from where I live but prefer to use V Power.

Whilst I too dislike Tesco as a company, I prefer not to use their fuel as I'm a bit concerned about it's long term effect on engines.

Some around here may remember many years ago now when (I think it was) Esso fuel was burning out valves in engines and causing long term damage. I can't imagine that Tesco Fuel has been tested as extensively as say Shell or BP. I'm the first to admit I'm probably being a bit pedantic but can anyone confirm how Tesco has boosted it's Ron compared to Shell?

I agree with what other people have said I use V-Power os Tesco's 99 and the car always feels perkier pulling out of the Tesco garage and by the time you've taken off your 5p a litre it's often 7 or 8p a litre cheaper than V-power. Plus club card points to make you're RAC membership really really cheap for when the petrol knackers the car wink.gif

I've been using BP Ultimate in the main as Shell stations are scarce in sunny Stoke. I've also used various other "Super" versions from Sainsbury's, Morrisons & Texaco. Having now used Tesco 99 I can say that I've noticed the biggest difference, the car seeming more eager & smoother. It's totally subjective but as I have a Tesco at the end of my road (and if they had their way there would be one at the end of everyone's road) I now use it most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

I have a Tesco's about half a mile from where I live but prefer to use V Power.

Whilst I too dislike Tesco as a company, I prefer not to use their fuel as I'm a bit concerned about it's long term effect on engines.

Some around here may remember many years ago now when (I think it was) Esso fuel was burning out valves in engines and causing long term damage. I can't imagine that Tesco Fuel has been tested as extensively as say Shell or BP. I'm the first to admit I'm probably being a bit pedantic but can anyone confirm how Tesco has boosted it's Ron compared to Shell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm you've obviously not got a very good memory - Shell had horrendous problems when they first introduced their new petrol range including Optimax with the detergents that cleaned the engines. It caused all sorts of problems - I had to have a new petrol tank sender unit installed as a direct result of these detergents rendering it useless.

Tesco fuel is not produced by Tesco - it is produced by a company called GreenEnergy see here for details of Tesco Super 99

There have been no cases of contamination with Tesco Super 99 - the problems experienced earlier this year related to the storage of fuel from Harvest Energy at a Vopak terminal that GreenEnergy shared. This affected certain deliveries of regular 95 fuel supplied to Tesco, Morrisions and others in the South East mostly.

I used to use Optimax(now V Power) but I now use Tesco Super 99 whenever I can as it is excellent fuel and both the R32 and my CSL perform better on it than Optimax. It aso has the advantage of being less expensive than V Power even more so if Tesco are running the 5p off vouchers.

Thorney Motorsports - a performance tuning outfit carried out a 7 month test on various fuels - the result can be downloaded from here The results make interesting reading - as you can see Tesco Super 99 is the clear winner.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't know if it's a country wide change but my 2 local Tescos have both now got rid of their 97 ron super unleaded in favour of the 99 ron and the price hasn't gone up either!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fingers crossed, I noticed my local had all its 97 pumps empty last week when we filled the missus car.

Mine has been exclusively on V-Power from day one (March 06), and has covered 13700 miles (bit of a waste of a car, though!). I would agree that a V-Power GTI is a bit rough on cold start up, but to be honest after that I'm usually more concerned with dodging traffic to notice any slight performance gains or losses .. !

My nearest filling station is a Sainsburys, and I've seen BP tankers filling up their Super 98(?) pumps. I run my wife's car on that, although being a Landie I'm probably deluding myself on 'performance' with it! 0-62 in about 30 minutes!

Next nearest are 2 Shell stations kitted out with V-Power. I run my diesel 'crap car' on the Shell / Audi V-Power brew, and THAT make's an astonishing difference!