• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CAR magazine just put out this:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_car.php?sid=1301&page=1

Shame they've got it all wrong. "The hotter S will be easily identified by those large gaping front air intakes, deeper chin, bigger 19inch alloys and those gutter-sized split twin exhaust pipes. Audi is apparently reserving its four-pipe exhaust layout for the blood-spitting RS version..."

They have pictures of the RS version but they think it's the S version......despite pictures of the S version being all over the net.

Wonder how much these idiots earn?

[ QUOTE ]

Yup. Cancelled my CAR subscription last year when they changed the format and get EVO now.

Better read and they seem to "get" what people want to read about 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What SOME people want to read about. The quality of evo's writing is far better these days but it's rather one dimensional and 'the thrill of driving' stuff is a bit OTT - unfortunately there is a real world out there as well ROLLEY~14.GIF

Never quite got this w**king at the temple of evo stuff personally but each to their own, I suppose.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yup. Cancelled my CAR subscription last year when they changed the format and get EVO now.

Better read and they seem to "get" what people want to read about 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What SOME people want to read about. The quality of evo's writing is far better these days but it's rather one dimensional and 'the thrill of driving' stuff is a bit OTT - unfortunately there is a real world out there as well ROLLEY~14.GIF

Never quite got this w**king at the temple of evo stuff personally but each to their own, I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the best mag out there and tends to be accurate. However, you are right, it very much focuses on performance/bucket seats and tail out stuff; ie not the real world. They won't like my new 535d either.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should rephrase my original post to Better read and they seem to "get" what people who buy their mag want to read about

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably closer to where I see it. As I said, well written but done so from a certain perspective, generally at the expense of all others. I guess I just get a bit bored with yet another 'episode' of the chaps get the arse of a supercar out in Wales (or somewhere nice), just like last month (ad infinitum). Then again, I seem to be in a smallish minority who find another hour of Jeremy & minions messing around with something vaguely car related AGAIN a bit boring after a while as well.

[ QUOTE ]

WTF is "w**king at the temple of evo stuff"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The tendency of a lot of people on a lot of motoring forums to treat every word/opinion of evo with equal or greater reverence than they would the word of whichever God they might choose to follow.

Evo often does get things fairly on the ball but they aren't 100% and they do often base opinions on the life & times of a motoring journalist as opposed to those of a normal chap in the real world. One little example that just springs to mind would be the S3 vs 'rivals' test - confused.gif

I'm sure there are people out there who lap up every word but I'm not one and I'm surprised there isn't more of a balanced view out there. I guess the less than great state of the other magazines and their inability to see what their individual issues are sees to that.

[ QUOTE ]

Or should we all keep buying CAR magazine just to keep the publisher happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No but I for one would prefer for it to exist and continue (even though I don't have much time for it's current incarnation - was nearly enough for me to can my subs but it's not money to miss and it's something to read on the throne). The world of auto journalism would be poorer without a mag that at least tries to look at the whole spectrum - if it got back to how it was in the late 80's & early 90's then it would be the best all rounder out there. Whether that will ever happen is a moot point.

• 2 weeks later...