New rear screen/roof

Nigelpmain

Dear Porsche lovers,

This is my first posting having acquired my first Porsche - a 2001 Boxster S in June.

I love the car to bits and hitting 3rd gear with 4,000 revs is an extreme pleasure. However, had a small incident yesterday which soured my SUnday - I took the roof down with the outside temp showing 11C, but administering the recommended (gentle) Porsche chop, something I've done many tmes before, to the plastic roof only caused a tear in the screen.

Charles Ivey in Fulham have quoted me £600+VAT for a new plastic replacement, but shopping around, I've found a cabrio foof specilialist in Chessington (Surrey) who charges £245 inc VAT for a replacement plastic screen or £745 for a new roof with heated glass rear screen.

My question to the learned online Boxster community is does anyone have any expereince of a non-Porsche specilaist screen/roof replacement? are they up to the job and should I go for the new roof and glass, or just go for the plastic.

I'd appreciate your views.

Thanks

• 7 months later...
Dear Porsche lovers,

Charles Ivey in Fulham have quoted me £600+VAT for a new plastic replacement, but shopping around, I've found a cabrio foof specilialist in Chessington (Surrey) who charges £245 inc VAT for a replacement plastic screen or £745 for a new roof with heated glass rear screen.

Thanks

Charles Ivey are OK for servicing but never get them to do any non-critical work, their labour rates are high.

Ask the Chessington people if the roof is made by BAS. A lot of people have had BAS replacement hoods put on their cars meaning you no longer need to do the Boxster chop!

Or give Simon a call at Essential Styling. I've had him do a few things on my car and although the premises are at the back of a farm, they are great guys and very knoweldgable. he used to charge £695+VAT for a new BAS roof.

• 11 months later...

Could you please let me know the best price and option on the replacement screen you come up with for this. Have had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Have my MOT with a garage in Putney on Wednesday so was going to ask what they could do it for but if you could let me know the best price you get so i can compare, that would be great.

Will also check out the sites mentioned below by the other guys, cheers.

• 6 months later...