A3 2.0 TDI to an S5???

Roswell

Considering this move now because of a considerable increase in my earning potential.

Never having owned a "gas guzzler" before I am interested in hearing from owners regarding running costs over a year on the S5.

Also another one for S5 owners....how much "disposable" income do you have a month.

I am really trying to find out if I can realistically afford this little beauty or not.

Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst you could expect (leaving aside the cost of buying the car and subsequent depreciation) is probably around £2k a year, based on 40 vs low 20s MPG and a bit more insurance, tax etc.

Unless you are really stretching to get to an S5, I would expect you to be able to fund that. As for the MPG, hell a Focus can do less than that in some people's hands - live with it grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

depends what you are prepared for, i guess after 3 years it will be worth maybe £23k-26k similar to S4 cab prices

[/ QUOTE ]

As Kenny Boon says, it depends on what you are prepared for, some things you may want to consider listed below :

Fuel - If you do approx 15k miles a year @ 22MPG and fuel costs approx £1.10 per litre, then you will be paying around £3400 per annum for fuel.

Insurance - Mine is approx £500 per year

Servicing - Assume 1 service per year @ approx £350 (not sure how accurate this is)

Consumables - Tyres etc - Say a new set of tyres every year £600.

Now the killer...............

Depreciation - If you assume a decent spec S5 will cost you £45k and it will be worth £24k after 3 years then it will have cost you £7k per annum. Personally I don't think this is that bad, it's still 53% of value when new. You just happen to lose 47% of a bigger starting number.

Add all this up and you are talking about a real world cost of around £11850 per year - so rounded up to about £1k per month.

If your budget can stand it......go for it.

What you should take into account is how much your current car costs - obviously the difference between what you currently pay and the £1000 a month is what you seriously need to consider.

Sorry if by now you are all ZZZ.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the responses guys smile.gif

Can you expand a bit on that Merlot? Are you saying I am going to be hit with MAJOR depreciation?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hit will be big (£20-25k in three years) so whether fuel costs £3k or £6k over the three years is not too relevant. I wouldn't put you off - I've owned four S4's over the years - as a big petrol engine in a medium sized car is a hoot but you need to be prepared for the costs.

I've driven a 140PS Sportback diesel and its fine but with an S5 every cost will be double. Its worth it (IMHO) but be prepared for it.

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

yeah for my spec of TDI it would be £40k for my s5 it would be £43k so im adding 7k of options on one and 3k on the other so i guess the S5 would be slightly better

[/ QUOTE ]

Do take running costs into your equation, how many miles do cover each year?.

Depends on the use. If you ever want to go into London (and possibly other cities during your ownership period) then you need to consider the additional costs.

e.g. road tax going up and up for big engines (i.e. gaz guzzler tax) and then Congestion charges (possibly £25 a go).

It certainly looks like the S5 is the way to go but if you do town driving then the fuel mpg will be shocking.

I wouldn't run my car if it was stuck in traffic everyday.

PS That's part of the reason why I'm keeping the 03 S4 Avant. Its worth little (compared to the price of something new), is running strongly (50k miles so far) and is only £205 pa car tax. Insurance on it is falling as its value drops and I don't mind where I park it. Mind you I'm taking a risk not buying Audi's extended warranty so we will see what happens.