[Audi A3/S3] MKVGTi `v` A3 20T ???

PaulAr

Gents - Whats your verdict on the A3 20T FSI in terms of `fun` versus the MK5 Golf Gti? Im driving the Golf at the moment which has the Phase1 REVO software. Its fantanstic to drive and on that basis I was thinking of changing my 54 plate for a later car or even an Edition30, thing is, Ive always fancied a A3 and loved the looks, interior, image etc. but still want a car thats is good to drive. SHould I look for a `sport` option/pack? quattro ?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

I'd say the Gti is a more "fun" car so if thats what your after get the Golf. The A3 does have its strong points but dynamics aren't really them, its interior is a nicer place to be for a start. Also forget quattro on the A3, it just makes the car feel heavier and handle worse from my experiences. I went from a Leon Cupra R to a Sportback S-line 2.0TQ and the Leon would run rings around it handling wise. I bought it thinking quattro was the be all for a performance car but all it does is improve traction but causes the car to feel less dynamic due to the extra 80kg of weight underneath. Also be aware the Sline cars ride very hard IMHO. I'd go with a ED30 just for the tuning potential alone. 300ish hp from a remap has got to be good ECLIPSe.gif

Hi

I have got a 20t, and I love it.

Its got great looks and brilliant performance, i think the handeling is responsive this is my second A3 and have been impressed by the handeling, traction control works well lets you have the fun but does not let you get out of control.

I have the sline edition and my previous A3 was a sport the ride on the sport was noticabley lower than standard cars and yes it was sometimes a hard ride on bumpy country roads so not every body's cup of tea, but i can guarante it made the drive more fun when your muching up the corners on your faviourite bit of local country road. The sline seams a bit less hard a ride than the sport but is still pretty firm.

If you want some thing that does not attract to much attention and is quick go for the A3.

I would agree that the golf may well be the more fun car it all depends on what you want from your driving experiance.

The golf holds its residual value really well.

keep us posted

Dave

I have no experience of the Golf, but I do have a new (June '07) 2.0T S-Line with Revo.

What can I say? The car is sheer class and you know it as soon as you sit inside. as for performance, I have the DSG box and find I can drive the car every bit as hard (or harder) as a manual and get far more out of it. Handling is exceptional, although the ESP does tend to kick in quite a bit with the revo on full tilt (I have the switchable version so can go for stock, 95 RON or full blown 98).

The S-Line IS the sport version and you get lowered suspension with 18 inch rims. Yes, it is fairly hard but something you get used to. I would not say it is particularly "uncomfortable" unless you live on a farm track, but it does what it says on the tin - improves grip and handling.

All I can suggest is that you go for a few test drives. I know that the Golf can be "Fun" but the A3 does get a few more admiring glances!!!

I had it narrowed down to these two cars as well when deciding what to get next.

I opted for the A3 and have not regretted it one bit. I think the A3 is a class above the golf in terms of quality, this is especially evident in the interior. Ultimately, yes the GTI is probably the more fun car. To me the difference in fun was too small for it to matter.

Test drives are the only best way to decide so let us know how you get on.

If I was chosing again now, I would go for the ED30. That engine with the potential of an easy 300 bhp would just edge it above all the other factors for me!

Tend to agree that unless the difference in driving experience is massive then the image, quality and the fact Ive had 2 MKV Gtis and not an A3 to date then the A3 is tempting.

My dilemna is that It would cost another 10K to change my very nice low miler, REVOd MK5, + leather etc for an ED30 and I dont think the Ed30 is worth the extra 10K. As far as what can be achieved power wise, mine (at around 250 ish bhp /280 lb/ft) translates into amazing everyday performance but the car would struggle to contain and make useable much more. How much of the 300bhp would be useable in an ED30.

I like the ED30s looks for the fact it is exclusive and rare but how many people would purposely spec that trim, those wheels as an option on a std GTi ??

As much as Im a huge fan, a Golf is golf at the end of the day....still not decided but food for thought.

PS - Missus loves the A3, but just because its an AUDI and it gives her school yard bragging rights....tsk tsk

cheers boys

I had an A3 2.0T sline quattro bu unfortunately it attracted too much attention and was stolen. I kind of done me a favour as it was only two door and what with new baby it would have been unpractical, plus the mrs hated the super firm suspension jolting her around.

I looked at the GTI for a replacement and test drove it and found it more fun than the A3, better handling not as firm ride but quattro rules especially in wet slippery roads.

My decision was made by my finances,i ended up getting a four door that looks like a two door, the Leon CUPRA (£16,500 ex demo - PCP deal £250pm), virtually identical to the ED30 and S3. I have stage one Revo map and i'm pushing 312bhp that handles suprisingly good, could do with Quatto in the wet though.

I think it all comes down to personal preferance of drive, looks, the badge and of course your finances!! What is more important to you?

The LEON makes the most sense if you want a VAG group hatch and Ive tried to talk myself into liking the looks on this basis. I do prefer it to the last LEON but I dont like it enough to buy one, mind you £16.5K for that car is amazing vfm. I know a guy who has owned 2 Mk5 Gtis and prefers his LEON now so maybe Im missing out ? It also make sense if you dont like the 5 door `look` but still want 5 door convenience.

Ive actualy managed Ok with 3 dr stuff (Corrados, CivicR, Golfs) since my daughter came along and shes 6yrs now.

In reality the only cars in this genre that excite me are the ED30 Golfs and S3, In general the A3 20T seems to have mixed press so Im not so sure now. Maybe I will just cross my fingers and hope for 6-12 months trouble free motoring on the current car and then take the plunge for an S3.

Thanks for the input.

cheers

[ QUOTE ]

VfM now = poor trade at 3 years. Compare the same vehices prices at 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROLLEY~14.GIF

Then look at actual £££s lost in a real world situation and the balance swings back again.

Sure on list price you might do better (but still might not) but no one with a brain cell pays list on the 'VFM' motor. Post discount it's a different matter altogether 169144-ok.gif

I sure the VAG Group have some very well paid individuals formulating very complex marketing strategies but its no less frustrating that an A3 20T and MKV Golf comes out of the factory with substantially less bhp than the VFM VAG group models. For me it comes across a little bit arrogant that you are expected to pay premium price for the A3 or Golf and get the lower spec engine. Why does the LEON and S3 get the higher spec engines but the `in between` models get the lower spec lump?

Tune-abilty is also quite a bit different with these two specs of engines. Which obviously concerns those of us that like to tinker. Which I do.

[ QUOTE ]

No one (your quote) pays list. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok, I'll bite (beats working grin.gif).

Before we start, this reply ISN'T trying to be an A3 basher. I like 'em (a lot), nearly bought one and could quite easily buy one in the future and feel good about it. However, you buy them for how they make you feel and not under the misguided idea that you will save thousands in depreciation against a 'VFM' brand. It might look that way but things usually have a way of evening themselves out (unless you are talking about something exceedingly rare or exotic)

I don't know enough about Leons or Octavias to do a true VAG value vs premium comparison, but I did buy a Focus ST and would imagine that the numbers come out quite similar.

Some example figures are:

A3 2.0T S-Line Focus ST-2

List price: 23155 19500

Discount: -2010 -2500 As per Autobytel for Audi & own experience for Focus (which may possibly be lower now - if not bothered about impending facelift)

Kit corr: 1000 0 approx - Xenons & metallic paint only (other variances assumed to be balanced off)

Paid price: 22145 17000

Retained value %: 52.00% 35.00% 3yrs, ave miles based on list price - ESTIMATE

NB - Focus may well end up higher but have gone for close to a worst case scenario

Value @ 3yrs: 12041 6825

Real depn cost: 10104.40 10175.00

Figures are for a private purchase - don't know enough about relative fleet discounts etc to look at it that way. I've tried to be 100% impartial - I don't hate Audi and don't have a love for Ford either, just telling it like it is (or as I believe it is).

Each to their own, its not a 'brand' thing.

I had an A3 Sport for three years and can state categorically that it had the most uncomfortable driver's seat in Chrisendom (and/or Islam for that matter) due the fltness of the seat squab. Driving for more than 2 hours was impossible.

[ QUOTE ]

Each to their own, its not a 'brand' thing.

I had an A3 Sport for three years and can state categorically that it had the most uncomfortable driver's seat in Chrisendom (and/or Islam for that matter) due the fltness of the seat squab. Driving for more than 2 hours was impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said not a brand thing on my part either, just took the examples quoted (sort of). I'm sure replacing the Audi with a BM 130i (I suppose there isn't a direct comparitor) would produce some horrific results. Just wanted to show that although the depn argument is something that manufacturers, sales people and others like to use as a shining example, it often isn't anything like as clear cut and can easily be the other way UHOH7.GIF

Plus at times I can't help it - the bean counter in me just has to surface grin.gif

Surprised at those seats though, they always looked quite nice to me (at least when they had some cow on them). The seats in the ST are rather comfortable - when they don't squeak and move around on the base SAUER0421.GIF

Mine were cow covered and heated but I (and a number of Audi's finest) found that I could not get comfortale over a long period. Short time occupancy was fine. It was never as comfortable as the cow covered A2 sports seats I had before (as Cupramax knows I believe, as I think he was lurking on the A2 forum at the time - Hi)

Interestingly, since selling the car i have read a number of reports criticising the A3 seats.

I have since returned to multi adjustable seating and am now perfectly comfortable even over 5 and 7 hour journeys (with comfort breaks of course) but I can move after getting out of the car!!!!!!!