New 6 series

Golfer

Diesel, Yep 635D is here, and what a car.

Drove it yesterday and was very impressed, new engine has more torque and the auto box a sensation, gear changes UP or Down fab, I-Drive is improved as well...........

I want one next year. beerchug.gif

At last a BMW I feel really meets the mark both interior and exterior wise with a engine and box that really makes ALL other diesels (4.2TDI apart) feel week. 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Do you like the look of the 6 series then John?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's subtle improvements help it, and in the right colour it is more appealing to me than the new M3, I-Drive seems easer to use, the parking sensors show a full car picture and give clear distances to objects, I love those new option 19" wheels.

It would not maybe suit a family but next year there will be just the two of us so............ 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You really want to get back into a diesel don't you John. Sick of filling up every 200 miles?

You could have saved a packet and had my 04 645Ci (petrol I know) but it went today.

[/ QUOTE ]No not really, I don't want to pay the 6 series price (and I wont) but it is a good car, I am getting 24/26 MPG from the RS so not bad at all.

What economy was the 645i giving out of interest?.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Do you like the look of the 6 series then John?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's subtle improvements help it, and in the right colour it is more appealing to me than the new M3, I-Drive seems easer to use, the parking sensors show a full car picture and give clear distances to objects, I love those new option 19" wheels.

It would not maybe suit a family but next year there will be just the two of us so............ 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough then 169144-ok.gif

For me the 6 series only works in Black because-and lets be kind here-it isn't the best looking car in the world.

The rear end/boot line is just so wrong Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You really want to get back into a diesel don't you John. Sick of filling up every 200 miles?

You could have saved a packet and had my 04 645Ci (petrol I know) but it went today.

[/ QUOTE ]No not really, I don't want to pay the 6 series price (and I wont) but it is a good car, I am getting 24/26 MPG from the RS so not bad at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

23/24 out of the 645. You must be light footed in the RS4. I'm expecting 20 out of the M3 (replaced the 645).

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

23/24 out of the 645. You must be light footed in the RS4. I'm expecting 20 out of the M3 (replaced the 645).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have driven TWO M3's and both in normal road use showed 24/26MPG, I actually saw 28MPG once!!!!

Hard driving Duno as I could not get it on Snetterton track, we are working on it though, 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Recap on the 6, I drove it for some hours in wet/damp conditions today on A/B roads and the ride was terrible, put the power down and esp came on back end loose, bumped and crashed on these roads........ it really was awfull, put me right off........ those run-flats with hard suspension kill the car on poor roads, I could not put power down it just stepped out all the time............ no good it me, off my list.

Just why do they put these tyres on such expensive cars knowing they are dung.gif....... pengy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but I think there will always be people who want the straight six and V8.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

Plus they sound better, suit the car more and petrol costs less than diesel!!

As usual people get swept up into the "diesel is best" mentality but unless you are covering well over 12k miles a year the real world cost benefit in derv over petrol isn't there... Flush.gif

Just my 2p's worth.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but I think there will always be people who want the straight six and V8.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

Plus they sound better, suit the car more and petrol costs less than diesel!!

As usual people get swept up into the "diesel is best" mentality but unless you are covering well over 12k miles a year the real world cost benefit in derv over petrol isn't there... Flush.gif

Just my 2p's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes wise words indeed. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on mate. I drive a sootchucker purely because I do 30k miles a year. in a big petrol thats another £few hundred/month and a PITA of having to refill the car every couple of days.

Diesels sound like a bag of spanners on idle. Even the big audi and BMW engines. Some people think they dont, because they just listen to it from the inside.

From the outside they all sound shite IMO. You cant beat a petrol for sound, but the performance of the V6 sooties is fantastic!

You are both right but the market is changing to diesel - shame really. My 50k near five year old B6 S4 Avant is now worth buttons. Big engined petrol only makes sense used which, of course, means that the number of people buying them new will now fall - perversely this may lead to used prices rising as supply falls....but I doubt it!

I think that will change pretty soon, I had a 330i for 48 hours a couple of weeks back and it returned just under 38mpg!! Compare that with the 330d I got last year which doing the same driving only managed 31mpg, now obviously unless you drive round with them side by side you can't really compare like that, but 38mpg without trying is amazing!!

Now let's be honest here, we all buy a diesel for one thing and one thing only, to save some money, anyone who tells you they prefer the diesel sound is talking shite!!

We can all agree the wave of torque is superb, but if we were offered these two cars now, I know which I would take...

330i M Sport £34,540 Petrol 21% (21%) 2996cc Yes 39.2 (39.2) mpg 0-60 6.0

335d M Sport £38,035 Diesel (25%) 2993cc Yes (42.2) mpg 0-60 (6.1)

Petrol will make a come back, as the technology is progressing, and the petrols are now getting greener and returning the same MPG for alot less money I think we will see alot of diesel die hards make a U-turn, I know I have.