GTi in the Snow?

Gemmzl

Dear all,

I was searching through You Tube to see if i could find any videos on the MKv Golf GTi in the snow. Couldn't find any, but i am curious to know how it handles?

I'll be going from a Mkiv R32 to a GTi hopefully soon and i know it probably wont be as good as having 4wd, but i'm interested to know how the GTi copes?

Thanks all,

Darren

EDIT - Sorry found loads of videos on youtube now. Was looking for "GTi snow". Did "MkV Gti snow" and found loads..... would be good to hear your thoughts still.

Thanks chaps for your comments. Yes i stand corrected AWD, sorry.

I live in the south and the the chances of Snow are very slim to none!

Reason i ask is we're going on a road trip to Switzerland in March and i'm fairly certain some of the high ground, routes will still be covered.

I've also not decided 100% if i should go for the EDT 30 or the R32. So it was just something to add to my never ending list of for and against.

I migrated from a GTi to a chelsea tractor, the one thing i love is being able to floor the throttle in the wet (off the lights) and make the most of all of my 3000 diesel cc's! grin.gif I loved my GTi no end, but if i was to go back to golfs, i think i'd go for an R32 DSG.

Have you considered a 330i/330d/335d, fantastically capable machines and a lot of fun.

Its more to do with the tyres than anything, as sports tyres are only really designed to work above 7 degrees. We have an octavia 4x4 at work with helldex is not really much better than the GTI in the snow, changing tyres makes a huge difference though. Its all about throttle control.

As for BMWs (excluding the 4x4s) they must be the worst cars in winter going. Ever wondered why when one spec of snow falls the south grinds to a halt? wink.gif

All the BMs in my street cannot get in the street in winter due to the slope of the enterence they all have to park on the main road grin.gif Does not help i live at one of the highest point of the north of England so it often snows ard here in winter. cool.gif

I took my GTI to Les Menuires (French Alps) last year. I read lots of opinions before going ahead and driving - but I had absolutely no issues.

I bought a set of snow chains and also a set of SnowSocks. The intention was to put the chains on the front and the socks on the rear if the snow was bad. BTW - I have 18" alloys. The chains I have DO NOT choice the rim !!

[ QUOTE ]

I took my GTI to Les Menuires (French Alps) last year. I read lots of opinions before going ahead and driving - but I had absolutely no issues.

I bought a set of snow chains and also a set of SnowSocks. The intention was to put the chains on the front and the socks on the rear if the snow was bad. BTW - I have 18" alloys. The chains I have DO NOT choice the rim !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost me a bit there Carl..

You mean the chain doesn't come anywhere near the alloy itself ?

What make of snow chain do you have for the front ?

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks chaps for your comments. Yes i stand corrected AWD, sorry.

I live in the south and the the chances of Snow are very slim to none!

Reason i ask is we're going on a road trip to Switzerland in March and i'm fairly certain some of the high ground, routes will still be covered.

I've also not decided 100% if i should go for the EDT 30 or the R32. So it was just something to add to my never ending list of for and against.

[/ QUOTE ]

High routes will be closed unless you are going on a popular route used by the ski resorts. Every body will be driving on winter tyres, I changed mine already. They are great when you are actually driving on snow or deep slush, on a wet or dry road though you need to be carefull, you can't push your car too much.

It's hard to say what you will encounter in March, but be warned if you have a small bump with someone on a road covered in snow, if you don't have winter tyres, you may be liable no matter who's fault is was.

I am alos considering trading my R32 for a GTI, I could do it soon but will wait until early spring, just incase we have a bad winter than is due! I can show you some pics of R32 winter driving on the "low grounds"

3.jpg

4.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost me a bit there Carl..

You mean the chain doesn't come anywhere near the alloy itself ?

What make of snow chain do you have for the front ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, just reread my post - I meant to say touch not choice.

The chains are Klack and Go

I'm also living in Switzerland and the GTI is booked in next week to change over to winter tyres. Its a pain as you don't see your nice alloys for 4 months but winter tyres do make a big difference. A friend completely overheated the drivetrain of his Saab trying to drive up a hill in the snow on summer tyres. As mentioned earlier if you have an accident and you don't have winter tyres, you'll be in trouble.