polo advice

sidlad

Hey all, i'm usually in the bora section but my girlfriend is looking at buying a polo (51 onwards) preferably 1.4L but may go to a 1.2L.

Does anyone have experience of any known issues with polos of this spec??

Does anyone know the service schedule, particularly what milage/age the cam belt needs changing?

What sort of milegae do petrol engines do these days?? I'm a deisel driver and know VW diesels go forever (touch wodd!), but what about petrols, my old man used to say to they wouldn't go much beyond 100K, but that was a while ago and i reckon he was thinking of the "good old days"!! jump.gif

We have been offered a Novemeber 53 reg, 1.2L E with 60K for £3500, but i reckon i could get that down by at least £250 and maybe £500. It is through a friend who i trust and it has full service history...seen similar but a year or so older BUT with LESS miles on Autotrader but i get paranoid about buying from dealers i know nothing about!!

Any help/advice much appreciated.... 169144-ok.gif

Cheers Sidlad

If it is a Mk5 (6N2) you will only able to get a 51 or possibly a 02 plate as they only made them from 2000-2002. Smallest engine in the Mk5 is the 1.0, there is no 1.2. Mk6 (9N) is the newer model (2002-2005) with the round headlamps and comes with a 1.2 minimum.

I'm not sure how the Mk5 1.0's drive but the Mk6 1.2's are pretty slow. Steering is nice and light for parking but this also makes it lacking in feel. Brakes are very good and handling is so-so. It should get around 40-45 MPG.

Cambelts usually every 4 years or 40k miles, whatever comes first. Servicing usually every 10k.

I'd say you are better getting a 1.4 as they have a bit more poke, though there are many different power outputs available. Iirc there is one around 70bhp, one around 80bhp, then two rarer engines - the 85bhp FSI and a 100bhp version. The 1.2 comes in 55bhp and 64bhp power outputs.

E spec on a Polo is the lowest, meaning radio cassette, manual windows, no air con, non colour door handles/bump strips. S is the next step up and gives you a bit more kit.

That's just a little info off the top of my head, hope it helps smile.gif

edit: That deal you mentioned seems ok but there is no harm in knocking him down more. Think my sister payed around 4.5k for an 04 plate 1.2 E with 35k miles in June last year

thanks mouse, seen a Mk6 02 1.2E with only 40K at a VW dealers for £4000 (parkers say £3570) so might go see that and see if we can knock them down.

Missus is after reliabilty for city driving and very occasional pootle down a motorway. She'll not top 5K miles per year but she wants as low a mileage as she can for her money so kit is less important. If we're going anywhere particularly far from homewe go in my Bora TDI 130 Sport!!

Thanks again for advice will let people know outcomes.

Thanks for the advice guys, she's put a deposit down on one now. 65BHP 1.2 52 plate with only 28K on clock and FSH. Paid a bit more than book price (and i bit more than i would have liked) at £4000 but a full years warranty on that and she wanted the piece of mind and had, had enough of lokking around (her money so her choice). I had a good drive of it though and seemed like a good solid car, alot nippier than i expected for a 1.2l too!

Cheers

Sid

PS. Still gotta check if this model has a belt but i suspect not and they didn't have a clue (it was a trade-in fro ma vauxhall garage!) but they'll pay for it if it turns out it exists and needs doing.