RS4 'what no spare'

RSmadman

So having swapped my tried and trusted S4 for a new RS when got home I was shocked to find I didn't have a spare wheel in the boot I suppose you should be told this when you collect the car but perhaps it was just me itching to get in it and drive it not allowing the sales guy time to explain. I personally think that this is shite... ive had the car since 1st of October and already had 2 (slow) punctures the second one was right on the edge requiring a new tyre 'gutted'.... I know you have the tub of gunk and the compressor in the boot but that's no good if yer get a blow out on the way to the airport is it. Also its not as if you can drop yer spare off for fixing and pick it up later. so what does eveyone else think to this. sportifs2.gif

Other than that i like the car alot a hell of a lot 169144-ok.gif

I think you'll find that a lot of performance cars have this type of solution unfortunately. You'll know how frustrated I was when I had a sidewall failure at Le Mans last year with less than 1000 miles on the tyre. Luckly Audi UK were very helpful in sorting me out a replacement.

[ QUOTE ]

So having swapped my tried and trusted S4 for a new RS when got home I was shocked to find I didn't have a spare wheel in the boot I suppose you should be told this when you collect the car but perhaps it was just me itching to get in it and drive it not allowing the sales guy time to explain. I personally think that this is shite... ive had the car since 1st of October and already had 2 (slow) punctures the second one was right on the edge requiring a new tyre 'gutted'.... I know you have the tub of gunk and the compressor in the boot but that's no good if yer get a blow out on the way to the airport is it. Also its not as if you can drop yer spare off for fixing and pick it up later. so what does eveyone else think to this. sportifs2.gif

Other than that i like the car alot a hell of a lot 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the reason it doesn't have one is fairly obvious; the battery is located in the boot and a spacesaver is too small to go over the brakes.

I've covered over 300,000 miles in cars in the last 6 years and i've never once had puncture. I had a nail in a tyre once but it never lost any pressure.

So my personal opinion is that a spare wheel is a waste of boot space and just adds to the weight of the vehicle. But you've got the gunk and if it doesn't fix it Mr. AA man will get you home 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

But you've got the gunk and if it doesn't fix it Mr. AA man will get you home 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was at the top of the Hardknott Pass with a mate who'd clipped a rock and slashed the side wall, I was quite happy that he had a spare (abeit a space saver - it was a TT). Replaced in 10 mins and then a drive back to the hotel.

Waiting a couple of hours wouldn't have been much fun.

The battery relocation issue seems like a bit of an after thought. They did it on the TT 3.2 as well as the RS4. If it helps balance then incorporate it in all models. If it doesn't then forget it.

I wouldn't not buy a car due to the lack of a spare but I'm much happier knowing I've got a spare and am therefore in charge of my own destiny.

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers mate yep i gatherd about the battery,, but as for the punctures your either lucky or am i very un-lucky i must of had over 20 punctures in the S4 in the 3 years i had it, & it only had 22.000 miles on the clock when i swapped it. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it, but it must be where you are mate!

Touching wood as I say this I have been very fortunate not to have had a puncture or vlow out in the last 6 years of driving. However I do carry a spare wheel in the RS on European journeys

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've covered over 300,000 miles in cars in the last 6 years and i've never once had puncture. I had a nail in a tyre once but it never lost any pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do 50,000 miles a year and go to work inbetween?

That's quite impressive! cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I was meant to put 200000 miles, bit of a mistype there blush.gif

I've had 6 cars so far;

31000 miles in the first

22000 miles in the second

1500 miles in the third

65000 miles in the Two Parts van at work (They wouldn't sort a driver much to my annoyance, so I covered a rediculous amount of mileage over a 12 month period!)

An estimate of 15000 miles in Company vehicles (Milton Keynes trips etc)

15000 miles in the 4th car

25000 miles in the 5th car

14000 miles so far in the 6th car

so nearly 200k grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do 50,000 miles a year and go to work inbetween?

That's quite impressive! cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

50k a year... Pah, don't you do that a week Shark!? bike.thumb.gif

I have an Audi 17" spare wheel and "emergency spare" in the boot of my RS4 - that will fit the rear wheels only, so if I have a flat on the front I have to fit the space saver to the rear and move the full size wheel from the rear to the front.

A bit of a pain - but it does take up a LOT less boot space.

Wheel 8E0 601 027 C 03C (£62.78 + VAT from Southampton Audi)

Type Continental CST17 135/90 R17 103M (£51 + VAT from Denmead Tyres)

That's the odd bit for me. They supply the kit with bolt cap remover, wheel brace, locking wheel nut key and screwdriver with bolt removal head for you to be able to take the wheel off, but no scissor jack to lift it. Great if you have a trolley jack at home.

[ QUOTE ]

That's the odd bit for me. They supply the kit with bolt cap remover, wheel brace, locking wheel nut key and screwdriver with bolt removal head for you to be able to take the wheel off, but no scissor jack to lift it. Great if you have a trolley jack at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pathetic really.