[Audi A3/S3] S3 or V6

sturat

guys, have always wanted an S3 ever since I could breathe, I've only ever had audi's and currently have a remapped 1.8t which I love to bits, yesterday I thought I would just see what my 13k budget would get me (other than a S3) to be amazed that the 3.2 quattro is in reach as well, I realise the tax, running costs of the V6 would be more and that it would be newer shape model but would it be worth it bearing in mind that the S3 would have to be the 225bhp on a 52 plate. confused.gif

I've had both now, for me DSG all the way, the V6 has so much power in 1st and 2nd a smooth drive takes some practice in manual. If I'd have my time again I would go for v6 DSG. Saying that my old V6 is for sale at Lincoln audi, you won't get a better example, it was treated like a king in my care!

[ QUOTE ]

Had my heart set on a manual, but would anyone reccommend DSG as a better choice ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No one can answer this laugh.gif

DSG or manual is a very personal choice IMO. I had a DSG car for about 9 months, and altho I thought it was an exceptional 'automatic' box, I still wanted a manual.

I was also a little concerned over my unit as I had a few issues with it, however this was (by reading other posts on TSN) a VERY isolated incident!

So go for an extended test drive and see what ya think matey, either way you'll have a great box and will be thinking "hmmmm, maybe I should have gone for the other box instead..."

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone find that DSG just makes things a bit boring?

Have to admit, even on my piece of **** car there is a fair bit of fun to making the gear changes nice with technique rather than switches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question and a difficult one to answer.

For me it made things a little less envolving, I didn't feel quite "connected" to the car. However, conversely, it's great fun to use!

I am glad I had a car with DSG and if I had two cars then I'd have one DSG for city driving and manual car for backroads.

My A3 was DSG and it was fantastic. I could chill out when I wanted but hit a back road and it came into its own. I could focus on the road, the entry point to the bend, make myself aware of the road and all the other cars and loads of other factors. I wasn't thinking about my down shift or if my hands were doing something other than making quick progress down my favorite road.

Did I miss a manual, did I hell. I could shame many a faster car, when they were fluffing changes I was doing full chat upshifts or letting the car blip the throttle as I accurately guide the car though a bend.

DSG isn't perfect by any means, but a second class form of driving, in a word. NO. 169144-ok.gif

Looks like I'm going against the tide here, but I would recommend a 8L shape 225bhp S3 over a 8P 3.2Q.

I bought my last S3 off a family friend, it was a 2003 model and he only kept it 9 months before he got a 3.2 S-Line.....he has told me on numerous occasions that he wished he'd never sold the old S3 to me.....having driven it, I totally agree.

However, my S3 was remapped.....a standard S3 wouldn't be as quick as a standard 3.2.

Think I would agree with Mills - had a drive of the A3 3.2 at a time when I was thinking of replacing a 2002 S3, I just found it wasn't as entertaining, and that was before the S3 was remapped.

One thing I found was that the 3.2 engine makes the car more prone to understeer due to the extra weight up front, and the same is true with the same engines in TT's.

At the time, I couldn't help thinking that the 2.0T engine with Quattro (not available at the time) and a remap would be a better option with the newer model.

[ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'm going against the tide here, but I would recommend a 8L shape 225bhp S3 over a 8P 3.2Q.

I bought my last S3 off a family friend, it was a 2003 model and he only kept it 9 months before he got a 3.2 S-Line.....he has told me on numerous occasions that he wished he'd never sold the old S3 to me.....having driven it, I totally agree.

However, my S3 was remapped.....a standard S3 wouldn't be as quick as a standard 3.2.

[/ QUOTE ]

ID agree with you too, however I would try the R32 aswell. think thats where my dosh would be...

DSG was stunningly good on my now-sold 2.0 TFSI S/B but not so great on my current 170 bhp diesel. Not sure if this is the norm for diesels or whether I've got a dodgy one, or whether I had an especially good petrol example. No idea whether it suits the 3.2 ... could be as bad as the diesel or as good as the 2.0 TFSI or totally different to both.