Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trefor

First Service query

5 posts in this topic

Our GTi is now just 1 year old. Nothing has come up on the computer about it needing a service. We had initially told the dealer we wanted time-based servicing - i.e. every year, but since we've only done 7k we've since decided to change to the long-life option (since picking the car up).

Since every car comes from the factory with the same oil 'n stuff, is there any reason we can't just wait for the car to tell us? I am assuming it will tell us when it needs a service??

Thanks.

get in the car, shut the door, seatbelt on, turn the ignition on (dont start) then press and hold the trip reset 0/00 until the trip goes to 0. keep the button pressed then it will display distance/time til next service. although that may count down slower or faster depending on how it feels.

I would recommend an oil+filter change every 10,000 miles regardless of the service pattern. Just arrange it so that a 10k interval coincides with a 'free' service.

169144-ok.gif

Despite all coming filled with the same Longlife oil from the factory, VW can set bothe the car and the VW UK computer differently. I'd check with your dealer as your car might be set to longlife but the VW network computer could be set to Time & Distance. This could potentially cause a warranty issue.