Front Seat dilemma

gloryhornet

Well, I'm into week 3 of Edition 30 ownership & am loving it apart from the seating position.

The seats are giving me chronic back ache, especially on long drives. I've tried all combinations but the seats are really uncomfortable around the middle back. I even saw an osteopath today!!!

Its got to the point where I'm considering radical action.

Options are 1) sell the car, 2) Buy a mark IV GTI or mark V non gti seat 3) Keep trying lumbar rolls etc ( no luck so far)

I just wished VW hadn't tinkered with the design, raising the side supports so high. I'm 6ft 5 & never experienced anything like it before. I had no problems with my Mark 2,3 & 4

Anyone had similar experiences or ideas?

Sorry to hear that Small Block frown.gif

Have you got the electronic lumbar adjustment on your seats ? I'm surprised you hav'nt found a comfortable position with all the controls on offer.

I really like the ED 30 seats, they feel similar to the standard GTi ones, but the heat and lumbar options add something extra, especially in this cold weather.

I've got the full lumbar options, but the trouble seems to be just below where the head rest sits when fully down.

I'm going to phone the dealer tomorrow to see what options are available. Cheapest is going to be a mark Iv seat. Runners may be an issue though. I doubt whether I could sell it to a private buyer anyway.

Have to stop these negative thoughts!!!!!

This is interesting. My Father in Law has an Ed 30 and complains that he doesn't find it very comfortable. He's about 6'4" and probably 18 stones.

As a smaller person 5'8" and about 11.5 stones I find the seats fit me perfectly - nice and tight. I can imagine though that for bigger people it must be a bit tight and almost sitting on the seats rather than in them. Perhaps the recaro's offer a better shape?

The Recaro's feel much more comfortable than I expected but the sides really are very steep and high, and so not quite so easy to get in and out of the car.

I'm exactly 6ft and find the GTI seats extremely comfortable - I've done several one-session drives of over 750 miles each and not felt tired afterwards.

I too have an ED30. I'm 6ft 4” and weigh 16 stone (on a good day!!). I experienced the same sort of problem as you’re experiencing in the early days of owning the car. I developed a dull aching pain in my lower back, usually an hour into a long trip. I too tried every combination with the seat set up and found that the only relief came from having the heated seats turned up to 5 and fine tuning the lumber support. I've now had the car for 9 months and touch wood, things have improved and I rarely experience back pain. My back structure must have adapted to the new driving style. Stick in there and what ever you do, don’t sell the car on this basis. If all else fails, you could always try and track down some lovely GTI embroidered cushions!!

It looks like I've got a bit more lumbar/recline action to sort out. Work has also suggested a thin car seat wedge,which I might try.

On a slight aside I've been through a few web sites & can't believe how much after fits are. Recaro have some sweet seats, but well out of my wallet after buying this baby.

http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/

It is worth sticking with. I am 6 3" and found the seats really uncomfortable for about the first month. With me, it was the seam between thr top 2 cushion sextions of the seat. However after the first month or so, the problem seems to have resolved and now I love them,

I've had my car for over a year and its only very recently that my back pain has lessened. I'm 6 feet tall, less than 12 stones and have never suffered from any back pain before I got my GTI. Any drive over an hour would cause pain in the middle of my back. I tried, moving the seat forward, back, up and down without any real benefit. Recently thought I have increased the electric lumbar support so I definetly feel it and the seat feels more rigid. This has helped. I think part of the problem is that I only drive the car on weekends and sometimes 2 or 3 weeks can go by without me sitting in the car. Don't worry guys, car is garaged!

I'm 6 foot and considerably heavier than you with a history of back problems - should probably lose some weight wink.gif and I have to say i've had no problems with my seats at all. In fact I would go as far as to say I find them one of the comfiest supporting places when i'm having issues.

I guess if you're an extra 6 inches taller though all the support points for the back are different. Not sure if the lumbar bar can be moved up and down or just in and out?!

I am so pleased to hear others have the same problem!!

I have the normal GTI Mk5 seats and I get bad back pain in the middle/lower back when I am sat in them for longer than 5-10 minutes. There is completely inadequate lumbar/thoracic spine support (I am a doctor, folks).

I have to have a jumper folded in 2 placed half way between my shoulder blades and backside and this really helps.

Basically, the seats are too concave in the middle of your back, they need to be straighter at that point. If my girlfriend's Micra can achieve this, why the heck can't VW??

Johnny, you've described exactly what I'm suffering from. I'm not sure how you can keep a jumper in place, but I've tried a lumbar role there, but its miles too thick.

It appears quite a few people have put up with back issues to keep in the GTI way. It shows how good the car is.

The standard Mark V seats are fine (friend has a GT). I'm now looking down this route rather than selling it, once the wedge support route is exhausted.

[ QUOTE ]

Johnny, you've described exactly what I'm suffering from. I'm not sure how you can keep a jumper in place, but I've tried a lumbar role there, but its miles too thick.

It appears quite a few people have put up with back issues to keep in the GTI way. It shows how good the car is.

The standard Mark V seats are fine (friend has a GT). I'm now looking down this route rather than selling it, once the wedge support route is exhausted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, lumbar roles are miles too thick. You only need something like a thin jumper folded in 2.

I am going to get some material made to that thickness in a square shape, then hand it from the headrest by 2 thin straps. If I can be arsed, I may get a car upholsterer to stuff some more padding in the middle of your back area.

[ QUOTE ]

Johnny - I must be missing the point here - The GTi has adjustable Lumbar which you can inflate and deflate and rise and lower as well - Are you saying that this is inadeqaute? or the seats are just crap in the posture department in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate. I have the lumbar support inflated fully, but it doesn't really inflate enough, and it is too low for my problem. As I said earlier, for my back and others on this board, there needs to be more suport higher up the chair back in the lower thoracic area as well as the lumber area. Essentially the middle if the seat back is fractionally too concave, it just needs filling out slightly.

Otherwise I love the seats, good lateral support, I like the bases, love the checquered fabic.

[ QUOTE ]

I think Johnnysenna is correct in his assessment. The lumbar support is too low. I've jammed a t-shirt in but this is just a temporary solution to try and fill out the back more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate. You have done the same as me. I would be interested to hear what you do as a more permanent fix. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was wondering if there had been any new ideas over the seat back issue. Johnnysenna did you get extra padding put in?

Drove my car for the first time in 3 weeks and the back pain resurfaced after an hours driving. Going to try and get a thin cushion, but if that doesn't help, I might look at the TT...