Trackday Helmet

Woppum

After wearing a sweaty one offering about the same amount of protection as an eggshell yesterday think I should splash out. Question is open face or closed? I have been looking at the Carbon WRC Puma for open face, very light very strong, but finding difficulty locating a seller close to london, any ideas?

If money was no object I'd have one of each. Open face for saloon driving and full face for karts/Caterhams etc

If you're only ever gonna use your tintop then go for an open face. You do get fecking hot during a session. Audi's turn off the A/C compressor when you're on full throttle so give you max power and it can get very warm.

Will just go for the open face. If I ever did get a track car though would invest in another helmet. Ill try a few on when im there, but that carbon fibre one is supposed to be the strongest and just weighs 1.25kg so less change of ripping me head off if I was in a crash...

[ QUOTE ]

Feck knows how the Stig does it! I always remove the visor but he's always visor shut. He must sweat buckets!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aint that the truth. Even yesterday, at +2 degrees in the pouring rain (with a window half open) I was still sweltering with my visor open after 5 or 6 laps.

[ QUOTE ]

Try Grand Prix Raceware. They have a shop at Silverstone and another one in West London (somwehere like Acton - can't check as their site is down at the moment). Good range and some pretty good prices! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's near the Honda garge in Chiswick (just off the north circular at Chiswick roundabout) it has (or used to have) an F1 car hung on the building.

[ QUOTE ]

Will just go for the open face. If I ever did get a track car though would invest in another helmet. Ill try a few on when im there, but that carbon fibre one is supposed to be the strongest and just weighs 1.25kg so less change of ripping me head off if I was in a crash...

[/ QUOTE ]

1.25kg is about right for a helmet. My Arai (full-face) is about 100g more. I wouldn't worry about it being made of CF either.

As a side point a full face helmet should protect you better than an open face helmet.

Personally I'd look for an Arai but horses for courses and all that.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Try Grand Prix Raceware. They have a shop at Silverstone and another one in West London (somwehere like Acton - can't check as their site is down at the moment). Good range and some pretty good prices! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's near the Honda garge in Chiswick (just off the north circular at Chiswick roundabout) it has (or used to have) an F1 car hung on the building.

[/ QUOTE ]

They dont have stock there, will have to go Silverstone. I dont mind though...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1.25kg is about right for a helmet. My Arai (full-face) is about 100g more. I wouldn't worry about it being made of CF either.

As a side point a full face helmet should protect you better than an open face helmet.

Personally I'd look for an Arai but horses for courses and all that.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the non-CF ones seem alot heavier though? Lot cheaper too, but really think it worth it due to whip lash etc...

[ QUOTE ]

If you've got a decent skid-lid, it won't steam up - just open the vents 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem in the car is there's only very minimal airflow. Without a visor there's nothing to steam up but you do get hot. I always seem to end up sharing the car with Betty Swollocks! blush.gifECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Don't put ideas in his head! yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

znaika.gif It was Mook putting ideas into his head! wink.gif

In all serious the looks of the helmet are the last thing you should be looking at its all about fit and comfort though weight also has a part to play.

I think I tried on every helmet in the shop when I went looking 169144-ok.gif