ED30 or "Normal" GTI ?

Froggy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends how much night driving you do. I actually think that they are overpriced IMO unless you do lots of night driving. IIRC a pole on here suggested that a large percentage of folks only specced them 'cause they thought they looked good. For £200 I would probably have opted for them myself but as my GTI does little in the way of night shifts, I couldn't justify the extra fine english pounds that VW wanted for them smile.gif

Xenon's are a bit of pain. I had to get them adjusted to look lower than the factory standard because I was constantly getting flashed by on coming drivers, so now they're not giving me any benefit over normal headlights.

I would probably spec them if I was buying a GTI "because they look good", but I don't think they give that much benefit. I also don't think they affect resale much either, as most people when looking for a used GTI look for a cared for example above all else, and not whether it's got the fancy head lights.

Damb i started the xenon discusion again, my GTI does not have them i don't think there needed at ~£800 mark and make no real difference to the distance vision (i have sat two GTIs next to each other on a pitch black private road and compared them A/B and i made sure BOTH had there lights properly setup before i did this) but if like i was looking at secondhand Ed30s (as a second car for the family not to replace the GTI) well if you get xenons free it does not hurt now does it lol. Also if i ever sell it, cannot hurt either seems sad on such an expensive car new they were not made standard.

[ QUOTE ]

Damb i started the xenon discusion again, my GTI does not have them i don't think there needed at ~£800 mark and make no real difference to the distance vision (i have sat two GTIs next to each other on a pitch black private road and compared them A/B and i made sure BOTH had there lights properly setup before i did this) but if like i was looking at secondhand Ed30s (as a second car for the family not to replace the GTI) well if you get xenons free it does not hurt now does it lol. Also if i ever sell it, cannot hurt either seems sad on such an expensive car new they were not made standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

..and for that £800 you could buy enough fuel for over 4000 miles! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

osram silverstars??

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone recommend where to get these from?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Osram Siverstars hav'nt done too well in recent Autoexpress tests.

Philips VisionPlus have been consistently good in all tests I've seen in the last 3 years 169144-ok.gif

Think I'd opt for the newer Philips X-treme Power (+80% shocked.gif) - less than £30 a pair on E-bay

Latest test results here

Has anybody got a link to a step by step guide to replacing bulbs - I gather there is an awkward clip that is hard to get back in place ??