WR1 after around 6 months

scooby_simon

Following on from my 6 week review here

here is what I said then with some updates in blue.

Or to give it it’s full name..... Subaru Impreza WRX STi WR1 lol.gif

People always ask what’s the figs and the MPG, so lets get these out of the way first

Figs

0-60 4.25

0-100 10.6

Standing quarter 12.7

320bhp

420NM or 310 ft lbs at 4K RPM

<font color="blue"> Yep, it’s still quick and getting quicker as I get used to it.... </font>

Fuel consumption

I’ve not been taking real care with recording it as at the moment I spend more time “driving for fun” than I do “just getting somewhere” and so I don’t think I could give any real answers except I think when pushed hard, it actually does better than my old WRX, but that could return 8 MPG ! I’m probably getting around 20-25 which is not too bad given the amount of time I’m out playing 169144-ok.gif

<font color="blue"> Still having far too much fun to worry about it; can do a tank full in around 100 miles if you really want to </font>

Handling

Handling is very good as you would expect from such a car it is hard enough without being too hard. In the wet it feels very sure footed (but this may be the sticky tyres - P Zero Nero) even with the fact it is only (I think) 1300 kg. Much better than my old WRX. The car will really drop onto its haunches and fly if booted hard on the exit from a roundabout, I’m sure the “clever” center diff has something to do with this as the diff will manage the torque split depending on the conditions, you also have manual control over this, but I’ve left it where it is for now (on auto). Turn in is very sharp and it feels very well balanced mid corner, still not playing with it to the full effect and this will take time, I get the feeling that it could catch you out if you hit the power at the wrong moment. I’m sure there is lift-off over-steer if I was brave enough to try it, but with the massive grip levels, I’ve not been brave enough yet.

<font color="blue"> The diff is still on Auto ! There is plenty of fun to be had even with the diff helping out. If provoked, you can create lift off over steer mid corner if you want it, and powered over steer can be dialled in too. You do need to show a modicum of restraint in the wet as a heavy left foot can have the arse out all over the place, but a ease off the loud pedal and it all comes back in line and off you go again. I’ve the feeling that considerable care will be needed in the snow as there is such a thump of power as the revs rise that a lot of early changes will be required</font>

Performance is amazing

The Figs are 0-60 in 4.25, 0 – 100 in 10.6 and standing quarter in 11.7. There is oodles of grunt when the engine is spinning (above 2500 RPM) and this grunt goes all the way to the redline at 7250 and rev limit kicks in at around 8. I still have the rev alarm set at 6K as this feels about right so I don’t over-rev too much. In gear times are very good too and in reality as long as you are over 2500revs it does not really matter which gear you are in. Driving fast is a fairly frantic affair as the engine spins up very quickly and so while accelerating you are pulling a new gear every second or so. To get the best of the car you really must be in the best bit of the torque curve which is between 3 and 5.8K and if you put your foot down, you don’t stay in this band for long. For cruising and long distances a 7th gear would be useful !

<font color="blue"> Still love the take off, wind it up and off it goes like stink, kicking you in the back after each gear change; but now with time the in-gear times are what make “real world” driving so good. In the right gear, overtaking is a simple task of hitting the loud pedal and avoiding the seemingly stationary car in front; you do need to drop a cog or 2 most of the time, but even in 6th overtaking is not a problem when fast cruising – there is plenty of torque above about 3K revs. </font>

Gear box

The shift is swift and precise and moving along all 6 forward gears is simple as falling off a log once you remember you have 6th to go to; 7th would be nice to keep the revs below the “growl zone” as things do get a little noisy above 3K revs. The cogs are close together and so a quick take off is a fairly frantic affair.

<font color="blue"> Fantastic, quick and precise, really starting to know which gears I can be in for the best results, and also what you can get away with if you are not in a hurry. I really would like 7th for long range cruising, it would help the fuel consumption as well as 3K revs is 80mph in top so motorway speeds are moving into the “growl zone”. </font>

Brakes

Brakes (Brembo all around) and very good too, I’ve not had any “full anchors” moments yet, but a few real firm presses and I’ve not got the ABS to kick in yet the car just stops, but it is fairly light !

<font color="blue"> They really work very very well. I’ve had a couple of muppets pull out on me and jumping on the breaks and the car just stops; provoked the ABS twice now and it does the job. </font>

Noise.....

On idle, it rumbles quite loudly – The Prodrive pipes do that !, it will wake the rest of the road up if you are not careful. Boot it hard and it will make a fantastic noise on full chat and sounds very loud under bridges grin.gif

When driving, the noise is fine up to about 3K revs which converts to about 80 in 6th (so in theory, the gears will take you to over 200 if you really want to(but I’d expect the drag to overtake the torque fairly quickly at those speeds), but I think it is limited to 160. And cruising at 80 (on private roads of course) is fine, 90+ gets a little hard on the ears – this is not really a long range cruiser !

<font color="blue"> Still looking for tunnels grin.gif </font>

Seats

Very nice Recaro’s in the front – adjustable in all the right ways including height; comfy and very supportive in the right paces – a nice place to sit; Leather was an option, but not installed on my car.

3 seats across the back (small arse in the middle) all with proper belts and ISO fix for the little ones. Standard car seats fitted for the kids 169144-ok.gif

Middle of the rear seat goes down as a Ski chute but the seats themselves do not come down.

Internal trim

It’s basic, but better than older scoobies, but not up to the Audi standard, but I guess Subaru spent the money at Prodrive and not at the wood mill.

Dials, stalks and layout

Subaru have changed the indicators over to the LHS of the steering wheel which most will approve of. Dials are clear, adjustable steering wheel makes it possible for most to drive it. There are a fair few icons and bulbs around the dash, Rev limit Warning is slap bang in the middle as you would want it. Dials are large and clear and the important dials and buttons are in the right places. Front and rear fog lights are hidden away down the right side of the console along with the inter cooler spray – need a hot day to try that one lol.gif

External lights

Front light’s are excellent (Zenons I think) and putting the chav lights on (sorry driving lights) does make a massive difference and would be useful driving down the lanes as it improves the width of the light but in reality these are not needed. Interestingly, they will only come on when the main lights are on full beam.

<font color="blue"> I’ve used the Chav lights a few times when out in the sticks and they are fantastic, they do make a difference and as they turn off when on dipped, no one knows grin.gif </font>

Visibility

All fine out the front, but the wing on the back does obscure some of the view out the back at the sides. I’m learning to live with it ! You also need to be carefull with kerbs as it sits 25mm lower at the front.

Music

Apart from the 4 pots under the bonnet, my car has a CD tuner and a 6 play box under the passenger seat – not sure if this is standard, but it drives the 6 speakers well. Currently too busy listening to pot music to car too much what is coming out of the speakers. But it does sound good grin.gif

Running costs

None yet except V power. Other owners say that tyres can be eaten in as little as 5K miles if driven hard, but I suppose with 320BHP and soft tyres this sounds plausible.

Living with it

It is noisy and so is not good for a quiet get away. It is a fairly hard ride and can be tiring on a long trip – did 130 miles in one hit no problems, but not a car to go to the south of France in ! You also need to be careful with the 18” rims, already scratched one smashfreakB.gif But the performance makes up for it, spin it up and boot it and all hell breaks loose (ask Ian_C), yes to take off quickly it’s frantic, roaring exhaust, beeping rev limit warning and grabbing gears every second or so but it is fun, Subtle, nope....

The boot has plenty of space and there is enough room for my sailing kit and my extensive set of tools.

<font color="blue"> someone crashed into it so at some point soon, I’ll have to live without it for a while, not looking forward to this.....

One gripe is the “between the seats” arm rest / CD box is just in the wrong place and I sometimes bang my elbow on is on bumpy roads at speed. </font>

So in summary

It goes like stink, sticks to the road and will carry 4 people in (some) comfort and at great speed if you want to! Oh, and the colour is fantastic !

1194977-sub2.jpg

1194981-sub3.jpg

18 ins diameter P-FF7 (Prodrive Flow Forming seven-spoke) alloy wheels:

1181665-18s.jpg

Edit to correct standing 1/4 !

....Long may you continue to have fun without being concerned about the fuel consumption! 169144-ok.gif

If you want to explore your car's limits, a full day with Andy Walsh on his CarLimits course at North Weald airfield would do it. Once you know your car's limits, you can stay away from that 'now known' edge. Safe but fun.