Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluedan

Fan Belt Tensioner Problem

10 posts in this topic

I have a problem with the fan belt tensioner. I replaced it with a new one and within a few weeks the nylon bush with the bearing in it had worn the hole into an oval/elipse shape, and makes a really awful noise all the time, when steering to park the car etc. Don't know why this is happening, I've had the tensioner replaced twice and the belt a few times, really p'ing me off now!

Any help would be appreciated! confused.gif

why should it be running out? Can anyone elaborate? Stealers wanted £125 ish just to look at it, before even starting to put it right....why do I always feel really dissapointed and let down whenever I visit an Audi dealership, seems full of people full of self importance, well Coventry Audi does......

[ QUOTE ]

could this be the steering rack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if the noise is only there when you are on full lock - if the noise is there all the time then it's not the steering rack.

Had a master Tech take a quick look at it yesterday, he seemed sure it was the free wheeling pulley on the alternator no free wheeling, so caused the belt to judder. So I will change this and see what happens. Does anyone know if this means a new alternator or can I get the pulley/shaft/bearing separately?

My sons freewheeling pulley seized and snapped the auxilliary belt. Think the part cost £38 on a Passat sport estate. I'm due for a cambelt in 8k at 120k in a 52 plate Passat 130 tdi Sport and will have all belts replaced plus tensioner, waterpump, thermostat and freewheeling pulley. false economy not too.

Doesn't stop me hitting badgers though. Another one tonight, second in a fortnight. Two grilles this time, only one last. Always this time of year too.

Daft question I know, but if the pulley on the alternator "free-wheels" then how does it charge?