8l A3 1.6 Idle/Stall problem!

safety69

Hello, I have an 1997 Audi A3 1.6 engine code AEH, and its developed a strange problem which i shall try and explain. Not all the time but at junctions, when i go to pull away with clutch on biting point i add a little gas, the engine goes to stall, so i quickly dip the clutch to prevent it from doing so. The responsiveness of the accelerator is poor. I have carried out the following procedures as listed.

1) Cleaned throttle body, reset with Vag-Com, idles between 800-900 rpm which i've been told is fine.

2) Tried a fuel injection cleaner.

3) A vag-com check and no fault codes.

Whilst i was cleaning my throttle body i saw a tiny electronic element with a wire in the inlet manifold and not sure what this is, and maybe could be something to do with my problem.

Please can anyone shine some light,

Thanks

Sorry, forgot to mention i have also replaced the MAF unit, and still the problem remains.

I have full access to vag-com, but not too sure how to check certain sensors and what figures to compare against.

My suspicions are, that maybe the throttlebody needs replacing, or maybe the MAT sensor? I'm sure it has to be something directly involved with the throttle for the problem i'm experiencing, or am i wrong in thinking this. I find with trouble shooting its trial and error which can leave a dent in your wallet!!

I found numerous bits of info regarding the same problem i'm encountering, and created a checklist below of what i have narrowed it down to.

1) Cleaned TB and also realigned using Vag-Com, need replacing?

2)Replaced MAF unit.

3)MAT sensor still to check

4)Coolant sensor still to check.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check fuel pressure and it's regulator. Should have a 3BAR fuel press' reg'. These can fail or the pressure drop over time. Also check the plugs! Number 3 plug is difficult to get to and I've seen many that have not had it changed, even at the dealers!!!! If it's got a really old plug it wont be healping.

Most likely cause in my opinion is that there's an air leak. Check all breather pipes and vacuum feeds. Also, check that the plastic inlet manifold has not cracked - they do and they're a lot of money!!! You can get a spray from most places such as Halfords that if you spray over inlet and pipe work they engine will slow if it is able to breath the stuff in. This causes no damage and will direct you to the leak. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
Hello, I have an 1997 Audi A3 1.6 engine code AEH, and its developed a strange problem which i shall try and explain. Not all the time but at junctions, when i go to pull away with clutch on biting point i add a little gas, the engine goes to stall, so i quickly dip the clutch to prevent it from doing so. The responsiveness of the accelerator is poor. I have carried out the following procedures as listed.

1) Cleaned throttle body, reset with Vag-Com, idles between 800-900 rpm which i've been told is fine.

2) Tried a fuel injection cleaner.

3) A vag-com check and no fault codes.

Whilst i was cleaning my throttle body i saw a tiny electronic element with a wire in the inlet manifold and not sure what this is, and maybe could be something to do with my problem.

Please can anyone shine some light,

Thanks

this sounds exactly the same problem i was having, couldn't find a reason why took to 3 different garages and said sounds like air mass meter after having it connected to a computer, had it changed few weeks later started again.

eventually car just died 130 miles away from home, AA engineer had a look and the cambelt tensioner had broken, he said this was a common fault with these as he used to work for VW and is more than likely the reason why the engine was stalling.

repair was done and hasn't stalled once.hope this helps