Diesel R8 0-60 4.2s, 500bhp & 1,000Nm of torque

AZURES3

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant ????????? Don't get me wrong , i like a diesel motor but this is supposed to be a sports car !

A car like that you want to rev and listen to the engine not plod a long on the torque listening to the radio.

28mpg is nothing to write about either , i would imagine a standard R8 with a V8 would get 20/24 on a run anyway.

Oh and what about the weight of that v12 diesel engine ?

This is coming from someone with a DMS 335D !

[ QUOTE ]

A V12? Forget that it's a diesel, it'll sound amazing anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a V12 diesel and nothing will change that. If you're passionate about proper sports cars the idea of this vehicle should send shudders down your back !

Don't think im against diesel engines. I've owned a 530D ,dms 535D and my current work horse is a DMS 335D. IMO this 335D engine is the best diesel on the planet , especially with the remap. But would i take the engine out and stick it in my Atom , no because it would sound pants and woundn't rev like a proper petrol engine.

Scott

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a V12 diesel and nothing will change that. If you're passionate about proper sports cars the idea of this vehicle should send shudders down your back !

Don't think im against diesel engines. I've owned a 530D ,dms 535D and my current work horse is a DMS 335D. IMO this 335D engine is the best diesel on the planet , especially with the remap. But would i take the engine out and stick it in my Atom , no because it would sound pants and woundn't rev like a proper petrol engine.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things please:

1) Write up on the Atom; and

2) I'm thinking of DMS'ing my 535d but wish they did an updated remap for my 286PS model and I am worried about how often they will need to re-install it after servicing (I'm not local to DMS). Thoughts?

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things please:

2) I'm thinking of DMS'ing my 535d but wish they did an updated remap for my 286PS model and I am worried about how often they will need to re-install it after servicing (I'm not local to DMS). Thoughts?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The Atom is the most exhilarating car i have ever owned ( including a 997 GT3 ).

All i can say is that i've never really kept a car much longer than a year. With this Atom , not only have i kept it for nearly a year but i ordered another one.

The whole sensation of driving it down a road is amazing and very very thrilling. Then you take it on a track shocked.gif

2 Personally i don't think they can get much more out of the engine than 340bhp and god knows how much torque . I always remember that DMS said they could increase the performance further but had pegged it at 340 due to reliability .

That's why i would go with DMS and no one else. They have a proven record and a reputation to uphold.

I would also not worry about BMW overwriting the remap , ive had 2 services with my remapped cars with no problems .

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things please:

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The Atom is the most exhilarating car i have ever owned ( including a 997 GT3 ).

All i can say is that i've never really kept a car much longer than a year. With this Atom , not only have i kept it for nearly a year but i ordered another one.

The whole sensation of driving it down a road is amazing and very very thrilling. Then you take it on a track shocked.gif

2 Personally i don't think they can get much more out of the engine than 340bhp and god knows how much torque . I always remember that DMS said they could increase the performance further but had pegged it at 340 due to reliability .

That's why i would go with DMS and no one else. They have a proven record and a reputation to uphold.

I would also not worry about BMW overwriting the remap , ive had 2 services with my remapped cars with no problems .

[/ QUOTE ]

Much appreciated. Apart from it being little faster than an Elise, I have fond memories of my Lotus 340R, the nearest thing I have owned to an Atom.

I am warming to DMS. Apparently they fly up to Edinburgh regularly. Don't know if they 'do' a few people in the car park! jump.gif

IMHO a desiel R8 will:

Sound crap

Be all torque and no revs

Will be effected by the extra size and weight of the engine making it less flexible at the limit.

I dont really understand what the point of this car is. I could see that engine being used in an A6 for example - a car where you want the torque but on the R8 it is totally pointless!

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO a desiel R8 will:

Sound crap

Will be effected by the extra size and weight of the engine making it less flexible at the limit.

I dont really understand what the point of this car is. I could see that engine being used in an A6 for example - a car where you want the torque but on the R8 it is totally pointless!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Audi will do it, beacause they can - as a technological tour de force to show what can be done with a diesel engine. Its the natural progression from their diesel winning Le Mans car 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO a desiel R8 will:

Sound crap

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Audi will do it, beacause they can - as a technological tour de force to show what can be done with a diesel engine. Its the natural progression from their diesel winning Le Mans car 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes fully agree with that. Just think the R8 is an odd car to put it in. An A5 or A6 would make far more sense imho.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO a desiel R8 will:

Sound crap

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes fully agree with that. Just think the R8 is an odd car to put it in. An A5 or A6 would make far more sense imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif perhaps, but seeing as they are trying to emphasise the 'sportyness' of the big diesel putting in an A5 or A6 will create a nose heavy, understeering nightmare. Putting it in the mid engined R8 gets around that as engine weight is less important - the penalty being losing luggage space and some additional weight. That said the additional ooopmh of the engine should more than offset the weight 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO a desiel R8 will:

Sound crap

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif perhaps, but seeing as they are trying to emphasise the 'sportyness' of the big diesel putting in an A5 or A6 will create a nose heavy, understeering nightmare. Putting it in the mid engined R8 gets around that as engine weight is less important - the penalty being losing luggage space and some additional weight. That said the additional ooopmh of the engine should more than offset the weight 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mid engined cars are still effected by weight but in a diffrent way. When a big heavy mid engined car is at its cornering limit it snaps. The Mercielego has always had this problem and i have seen a video somewhere of the Veyron getting in alot of bother.

However the weight isnt the biggest issue for me. its the low revving and no noise i dont get.