[Audi A3/S3] 2nd Hand A3 Advice Needed Please

ahaydock

A colleague of mine has seen a ’98 Audi A3 1.6 Sport for sale:

3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 55k, Alloy wheels, ABS, Electric windows & Mirrors, Rear headrests, Sports Seats, Metallic SILVER, FASH £3000 ono

The seller has also offered to tax it for 6 months at that price, but it is due an MOT shortly. I think if it can get MOT’d than c£3K is a good price – what do you guys think?

TIA!

3k seems about right for a 1.6 a3. You rarely see them going for much more than that these days plus the 1.6 was never the 'one to have'. Thats not so say that its not a good car, but these things count if you want to sell it on.

I had on old shape A3 and then the S3 and the only problems i found was the anti-roll bar bushes wear and are a bugger to replace - though not sure if the 1.6 would have the ARB???

The ABS can sometimes play up - the warning light comes on once you go above 15mph. In most cases its just the sensors getting full of crud and a good clean fixes the prob but worth checking cos the pump is costly!

To be honest, most of the A3/S3 probs will not apply to the 1.6 so you should be fine. Sounds like a nice car - and Silver looks great on that model. I've seen 1.6's with the 17 inch rs/tt alloys on and they look fantastic. Chuck some facelift rear lights on it and imo you'll have a lovely looking motor 169144-ok.gif