Ultimate Diesel Again

Snail

I got a reply from the auto express test editor, who has also looked into doing tests on ultimate diesel (and optimax and other performace fuels), but its difficult to test them, and they dont want lawyers on their case if the results are not favourable, so doubt we'll see any proper tests.

Well guys I've had 3 full tanks of ultimate diesel now and it definitely makes the difference. I've got an R reg diesel polo and its gone much quieter now beside improving performance. Try it and I can assure you after couple of full tanks you'll start to feel the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Shell are only just coming out with their premium product ?

I have to say it's unlikely that any one company has put much development into diesel before now - truckers and bus companies wouldn't have wanted to pay more for better performance or quieter running, so it wouldn't have been in Shell's interests 5 years ago (say) to put development money into something for which they could not then charge extra.

The difference nowadays is that diesel has taken off in the executive and private sectors due to CO2-based taxes, so there are many more people like us around who are willing to pay extra. So why would Shell's old product have been significantly better than BPs before now - would they have put the research in and then just applied to their standard diesel for no extra gain ? Doesn't make sense to me.

[ QUOTE ]

I got a reply from the auto express test editor... and they dont want lawyers on their case if the results are not favourable, so doubt we'll see any proper tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh ? So surely they can't review or test ANYthing ? What happens if they unfavourably review a GPS system, a tyre pressure monitor, or in fact a car ? Do they only write happy things and reproduce company press releases, in case someone sues them otherwise ? confused.gif Not doubting you, Snail, but wondering what the editor is on about!

• 1 month later...

Must admit I have been won over by Ultimate. I was sceptical at first and so spoke to contacts I have at both Shell and BP. The BP one was honest and open and recommended the product after trying it in his E320 CDI.

I tried some in the wife's A170 CDI first of all and was completely EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF as the car's throttle response was hugely improved - a car that was easy to stall was no longer so!! (for real, no joke, etc) Also, went from 40 mpg to 45 mpg after 3 tankfuls. Quieter too at idle.

I had used Shell in my old 330d and now my 530d after trying Esso and Shell and finding that Shell seemed to produce 1 or 2 mpg better but more importantly engine pick up seemed quicker. My mate at Shell drives a petrol car so asked a 330d owning colleague who reported that the "new" Shell gave worse consumption and no gain in performance.

I went for Ultimate also as they (useful for me) used a 330d as one of the test cars when producing the fuel, etc. It is 1 or 2 mpg round town worse than the Shell for me but then it is quieter and performs well - very smooth. On a long run it is better though, by about 4 mpg, so I'll stick with it.

SJD

I tried a tank of the stuff and noticed no difference at all (apart from in my wallet), I know your supposed to use a few tanks of the stuff, but have have a brand new 2.0 A3, that only had 1200 miles on the clock at the time so I can't see what difference it can make to a brand new engine that doesn't have a load of buildup in it from other fuels......maybe I'm wrong, I'd sure like to be proven wrong. But I can honestly say that I didn't see any gain in performance and it certainly wasn't quieter.

On saturday I managed to fill my TDi with the most expensive tank of fuel ever......30 quid's worth of unleaded.....which ended up costing me £290 after getting it towed to an Audi dealer to be drained! What a bunch of rip off fekr.gif's I can't believe it costs 260 notes to drain a tank of fuel....by the way I had not started the engine with it in so it hadn't gone through the system.

Feel a little bit foolish and don't think I'll be doing it again!

I believe ultimate diesel is like optimax, if you run your new car for a while on it you wont notice a difference till you put a tank of standard diesel, when it'll seem like someones "borrowed" your turbo, i believe this is due to the ECU learning about the quality of fuel.

Older cars get a more instant feedback, due to cleaning the injectors and stuff.

Thats how i read it anyway....i could be wrong.

Oh, and several others have filled the car with the wrong fuel, so we may take the pi$$, but it happens.

[ QUOTE ]

On saturday I managed to fill my TDi with the most expensive tank of fuel ever......30 quid's worth of unleaded.....which ended up costing me £290 after getting it towed to an Audi dealer to be drained! What a bunch of rip off fekr.gif's I can't believe it costs 260 notes to drain a tank of fuel....by the way I had not started the engine with it in so it hadn't gone through the system.

Feel a little bit foolish and don't think I'll be doing it again!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done it............ ! smashfreakB.gif

• 6 months later...

I'm surprised that a lot of people don't notice any difference. My A6 runs far better on Ultimate than any other diesel including Shell. The Shell version seems to boost performance but offers a rougher ride and less economy. Although at 45,000 miles per annum the extra cost is building up.

i've been filling up on ultimate too recently for the last 4-5 tanks now, it has made a slight difference in throttle rsponse and there is difinitely less smoke outta the back!

the mpg still depends really how the car car is driven i believe. so filling up at 87.9p or tesco 79.9p?? i think i'll go back to the cheap stuff for now. it hasnt drastically improved mpg or performance to warrant such price difference in my own opinion.

theres a piece of my mind grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i've been filling up on ultimate too recently for the last 4-5 tanks now, it has made a slight difference in throttle rsponse and there is difinitely less smoke outta the back!

the mpg still depends really how the car car is driven i believe. so filling up at 87.9p or tesco 79.9p?? i think i'll go back to the cheap stuff for now. it hasnt drastically improved mpg or performance to warrant such price difference in my own opinion.

theres a piece of my mind grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with you there. The whole reason you buy a diesel is because you want to save money, so they go and add 10p to a litre of fuel.

Ultimate Diesel is fantastic stuff, and does exactly what it sets out to do, but they need to make it cheaper, when i first started using it, it was about 2p more expensive than normal diesel, definitely worth it, but 10p, no thanks.

The shell performance diesel is now down south, and whenever i can, i use that, its the same price as normal diesel, but better (not as good as Ultimate), just a pity all the garages are out of my way frown.gif

I have a fuel card, so am not really concerned by the cost of the fuel!

I have tried Ultimate diesel, and IMHO it makes bugger all difference in performance, or economy to my 17k mile 2004 A4 1.9Qtdi.

The only discernable thing i noticed was that the car appeared more quiete than previously.

I don't think it's worth a detour to a BP station to fill up TBH.

Its a shame there aren't any scientific tests, maybe I ought to do one of my own, i.e measured performance & economy before and after using regular / ultimate (after a few tanks!).

[ QUOTE ]

I filled up at a Shell garage in Leeds the other week, and it was called something like "diesel extra". Is that the new thing they've brought out or is it just normal tractor juice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats their version of ultimate. I try and use that nowadays if i can.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

my 17k mile 2004 A4 1.9Qtdi.

[/ QUOTE ]

You done 17k already - only seems like you have had it a couple of months.

I have triied last 5 tanks of ultimate and made no difference at all. So back to cheapest I can find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually done 18k miles since March! The 90 mile round trip commute takes it's toll! blush.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I did a test in the 2.5tdi, I ran regular diesel for 4 tanks and approx. 2000 miles, the same with ultimate and again with regular diesel, after the 3rd tank the ultimate made it run smoother slightly but didn't notice a change in MPG.

Then a mate put Millers in my tank of regular diesel and told me to buy a bottle and use it with every tankful, this has been nothing short of amazing, alot smoother and better pick up, really really noticeable, haven't seen an improvement in MPG though tbh, but it does a far better job than any of the special diesels and works out about 1p for every litre of diesel.

Seriously try it, my dad now uses it in his E270cdi and laughed at me when he saw me adding it, and has never done anything with any of his cars before, and I mean nothing, new wiper blade take it into the shop, he manages to fill his washer fluid and that is it, so for him to be converted it has to be good wink.gif

There is one problem with it, and that is the fact it stinks when you open the bottle.

think it is called Millers Diesel Plus or similar, about £6 for 500ml and you add 10ml to every litre.