Recommended Tyre Pressures

smizit

I recently had the tyre sensor come on - I filled up air on all four tyres (17" Monzas with Conti) to 33psi which just felt way too hard to the point I was paranoid about popping them (I'm not a very techy person plus the Mrs normally driving it is T-2wks with baby and moaned about the bumpy ride!!)

Reducing the pressure to 32psi feels fine. I wanted to know what you guys are all inflating to?

Also what would you fill up to on 18" Monzas with Dunlop? Since I have them garaged for winter and use my scratched 17s at the moment...

cheers

smizit

[ QUOTE ]

(edit) Also what would you fill up to on 18" Monzas with Dunlop? Since I have them garaged for winter and use my scratched 17s at the moment...

[/ QUOTE ]

18 Monza II's with Continental Sports: 2.4 bar or 34psi 169144-ok.gif

I use 32PSI for the fronts and 30PSI at the back for normal driving (no luggage, rear people etc).

I know this is below whats' recommended but I've found they feel too hard otherwise, like you.

If going on a long motorway journey I top them up a bit to around 33PSI all round.

I tend to slightly over-inflate mine. 2.4 bar / 35 PSI is the recommended pressure according to the sticker on the inside of the fuel-flap. As the pressure drops over time, I tend to inflate to 36/37 PSI or 2.5 bar.

If I've been lazy and let my pressures drop to 32/33 PSI, I find the car feels too wallowey on cornering and turn-in responses. I also think it feels slightly more grippy with the higher pressures I mentioned. The harder ride really doesn't bother me, as I used to drive a Type R, so the GTI's ride is beautiful in comparison, even with higher pressures.

I'm running 17" Monzas with Conti 2s.

Sidewall rigidity and toughness is a big factor - as is the types/conditions of roads you regularly use.

I run my Yokohama V103s (18") at 40psi all round while in the bedding in period, then after 1000km, pump the fronts to 42 and drop the rears to 38...

[ QUOTE ]

It's interesting that on Michelins website they seem happy enough to recommend 32PSI for the fronts and 29PSI on the back for normal driving conditions.

For the Michelin Exaltos (oem on my ED30) they even suggest 29PSI all round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I queried that with Michelin as when I got the PS2s fitted their recommended pressure was 29psi all round even though the fuel flap said 35psi.

their reply was

You would be advised to follow values indicated on the fuel cap / door-pillar / vehicle handbook in relation to the tyre size fitted – specifications can change without our knowledge.

I just posted this in another thread but it also seems relevant here, so:

For what it's worth I read in one of WHSmith's high street libraries this morning in one of the car mags (I read them all so can't remember which one), that a survey has exposed the fact that many [uK] petrol station tyre pressure monitors are inaccurate and so not reliable.

HTH

Yep, I use my own accurate gauge and foot pump. It amazes me that VW for example will fit as standard a bottle opener in the cup holder worth about £10 when a much more useful feature in term of both safety and convenience would be a digital tyre pressure gauge. The same goes for BMW with those hopeless rechargeable torches they fit in the glove box.

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, I use my own accurate gauge and foot pump. It amazes me that VW for example will fit as standard a bottle opener in the cup holder worth about £10 when a much more useful feature in term of both safety and convenience would be a digital tyre pressure gauge. The same goes for BMW with those hopeless rechargeable torches they fit in the glove box.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very good point