CSL vs B7 RS4

Wallachie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks about right. At bedford there was very little in it between the csl and the e92 m3. I think in the dry mine would have been a bit quicker (all the way to 150). The RS4 is slower than the E92 M3 so id expect there to be a bit of a margin. I know mine has the cats, remap etc but I dont believe it makes much of a diffrence. There was ver little in it between me and the other csl i encountered.

• 3 weeks later...

Always makes me laugh as the result will always go both ways dependant on driver, conditions & whos' filming.

I've many tales of spanked CSL's in my RS4 & likewise i bet some CSL owners/drivers have managed to spank a B7 RS4, but the CSL will not out-drag the RS4, but being the lighter & more track focussed, the CSL will walk away from an RS4 on track.

As for the E92, that's very close to call & the vids i've seen again vary in the end result, except the RS4 always appears to win the drag up to 100MPH & given it's very few places where the quicker car above 100MPH would be useful, i'm happy with that. All great cars though.

For some reason the M3/5/6 Board chaps always go for the rolling start & never a standing as it's where the M's often have a very slight advantage. Plus, it'S A yellow RS4 which everyone knows is the slowest colour.

[ QUOTE ]

How can the CSL be put up against the RS4 is the M3 is supposed to be the RS4's rival? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a vid is on M3Board that shows the CSL beating an RS4 from a 50mph rolling start (it pulls away after 100MPH0.

Does make me laugh, as i'm sure CSL owners see their cars as far more track biaised & hardcore than any RS4 & the new E92 until that versions CSL arrives.

Getting bored of repeating myself. Was it a standing start? was the RS4 ahead up to about 80-100 & then the M3 started pulling away?

Was it really a thrashing? look at the stats all over the place from real world to mfctrs & i think thrashing is a term only you can quote to suit you.

[ QUOTE ]

How can the CSL be put up against the RS4 is the M3 is supposed to be the RS4's rival? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's now (roughly) three cars in the same class and competing with each other - E92 M3, B7 RS4 and the Merc C63 AMG.

It doesn't matter that the RS4 came out three years ago and the M3 has just been launched. I'd expect it to match the RS4, or BMW would not be on to a winner for their target customer.

As for the C63 - great car if you're over 55 tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Does make me laugh, as i'm sure CSL owners see their cars as far more track biaised & hardcore than any RS4 & the new E92 until that versions CSL arrives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, I'm an Audi fan, but I'd rather have an E46 CSL as a track toy over an RS4, but an RS4 as a daily driver.

The E92 M3 CSL will, without doubt be quicker (no, not just 0-60 etc.) than the B7 RS4. But then Audi are bringing out the B8 RS4 soon, so I'd expect that to be quicker again than the E92 M3 CSL.

The German car manufacturer pissing contest will never stop, which is great for the consumer 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, I'm an Audi fan, but I'd rather have an E46 CSL as a track toy over an RS4, but an RS4 as a daily driver.

The E92 M3 CSL will, without doubt be quicker (no, not just 0-60 etc.) than the B7 RS4. But then Audi are bringing out the B8 RS4 soon, so I'd expect that to be quicker again than the E92 M3 CSL.

The German car manufacturer pissing contest will never stop, which is great for the consumer 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have put it better myself. The RS4 is fun on track, but will never be a weapon & never match a CSL in good hands, however for the combined journey to & from Nordschleife & a handful of 8:29 laps, i can't yet see a better car in the class, although the E92 M3 is certainly alongside.

[ QUOTE ]

8.29 is good going! You must know the ring like the back of your hand 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Wop & TBH it's more down to tuition as i did the Scuderia Hanseat there last year & that took me from an average ability/track knowledge to now knowing the track almlst blindfold, as well as most of the braking zones, turn in points & apexes. Overall i've probably now completed the eqiv of about 250 laps. Back their in May to add some more.

I doubt in my hands i could beat that time without either fitting track rubber or starting to push the envelope into realms i'd rather avoid as at 8:29 i was a tad ragged in places & defo pushing on.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

8:29? You're not trying hard enough tongue.gif

When in May are you there, Paul? 12 of us will be there Sunday 11th before going to Spa on the Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm there for the evening sessions on the 13th & 14th May, after some Stelvio & Alpine action over the weekend. I'm also doing Spa (2-dayer) at the end of May (26th & 27th).

I did a Spa 2 dayer in 2006 in my DMS E60 M5 & fell in love with the track, as it's perfect for road cars.

169144-ok.gif

We're at the 'Ring on 12th/11th May and then on to Spa on 12th.

Got to agree re Spa - we had our first day there last year and it's now my favourite track. I actually prefer it to the Nurburgring in terms of overall experience - it's soooo fast and unbelievably smooth.

It's just the "not lifting off for Eau Rouge" that's just impossible to do!

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

CSL v RS4 - odd and unfair comparison

CSL v GT3

RS4 vs E92 M3 saloon - the new ugly-looking one with the cheap interior (Autocar quote) and the metal roof not CF, oh and half the test in the damp UK rather than sunny Portugal smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense, although oddly & without tempting an arguement, reading the blurb today the new M3 Saloon is both heavier & slower than the RS4, even according to the respective mfctrs quotes. For the M3 Saloon it's 4.9 seconds to 60.

Agree the RS4 is never going to threaten a well driven CSL on track in all but the worst conditions.

[ QUOTE ]

Agree the RS4 is never going to threaten a well driven CSL on track in all but the worst conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree the CSL is never going to threaten a well driven RS4 on the road in typical British wet conditions.

But again why are we still comparing two great cars built for different things?