OEM rear LED's for Mk5....

RedRobin

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks RR ... I look forward to your pics etc when done.

Would it be possible to get some before photos taken so that you can show some before and after pics next to each other (under identical lighting conditions) ?? 169144-ok.gif

I'm interested in how "smoked" the LED lenses are compared to the standard GTi lens

Cheers

Jonny

....Yes, I'll try. I'm not fitting them myself. I have a particularly good relationship with my VW dealer and they have an affiliated award winning accident repair centre next door who are going to fit them for £30. Yes, I know I could have a go myself and save myself £30 except that I'd have to buy a hot glue gun and a dremell and I'd be well stuck if there were any problems and it would cost me more for it to be put right. They have fitted my carbon bonnet and rear valance and I know the boss and trust his work. If there are any probs, my VW dealer next door will willingly help.

The smoked parts are the same as the R32 and Ed30 but I will take a pic of before and after in the same conditions subject to the weather being stable.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I meant more do some research into whether there is a RHD part number available from Volkswagen Accessories. Or, if it is true LED's will be on 2009 Model Year, ETKA 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not spot them. I Looked under all mk5 tail lamps as well as accessories.

Better to look at websites for Hella, valeo, Seima/al who are the makers of the lights for VW.

post-9935-13791441129_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I meant more do some research into whether there is a RHD part number available from Volkswagen Accessories. Or, if it is true LED's will be on 2009 Model Year, ETKA 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not spot them. I Looked under all mk5 tail lamps as well as accessories.

Better to look at websites for Hella, valeo, Seima/al who are the makers of the lights for VW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you check the ETKA accessories catalogue or EPAC? I eventually found them on the ETKa Accessories catalogue 169144-ok.gif

Couple of things I found (most of which other people have already covered in the time I made my last post)

* Light Clusters are Cherry Red (R32 colour)

* LHD only (unless Hella make a RHD version on there website, this is definately worth checking!)

* Not available to order in UK as naturally not approved by VW UK as an Accessory

* All MK5 Golf tail lamps changed part number from late November/early december but it makes no mention of them being LED. The first cars built in early December should literally be just starting to reach the Dealers now so maybe worth a check? 169144-ok.gif

....Nice detective work, Nelson 169144-ok.gif.

The info that they are fog&reverse lensed only for LHD and that the screw holes don't align when swopping the lenses (poor design and lack of forethought imo), convince me that it's very unlikely that we'll see them in production on RHD, and hence UK, cars. I hope I'm wrong though.

Neither the existing Cherry Red / smoked Mk5 R32 clusters, nor the Ed30's, are LED.

AHh sorry I missed that smile.gif

If you go to 'Special Catalogues' and 'Accessories' they usually have much more stuff on there wink.gif

I've looked at Hella's website and it appears they either don't make them or they are supplied to VW only confused.gif

But thinking out aloud. Wouldn't it be much less grief to change the wiring on your car? I can imagine the first car being a pain as you'd need to find what wires they were. But once someone has done a writeup it should be easy enough 169144-ok.gif

Yes, I know it would make the car illegal. But at least the lights are there and working smile.gif

As I understand it, it's not a question of wiring on UK cars - We already have that required 4th wire (whatever it is I don't know but check out vortex threads on the subject).

If you read my original post, you should understand that the ECU on UK cars already sends its rear lights instructions to the appropriate location. All we have to do (and as Neo has confirmed) is unplug and remove the existing units and then after swopping the internal fog and reversing lenses over in the new LED units, simply fit and plug them into the car's system.

Am I missing something or are some of you not reading all this thread?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies Robin, it's been a long day and i'm doing my usual trick of cutting corners when reading threads wink.gif

If the MK5 Golf is anything like the A3 (which it is!) then I should be able to recode the rear lights to LHD specs therefore swapping the Fog and Reverse light over. I'll look further into this though.

I would love LED lights. But I don't fancy buggering them up before I've even put them on the car tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I was simply answering that other guys post was there a RHD version listed on VW dealers parts catalogue. It had nothing to do with if you could convert the LHD ones or not i was simply answering 'that' question, was there one listed for now or the future. wink.giftongue.gif169144-ok.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Edit:

In that process i seemed to confuse NelsonA3sline by saying there was not one listed, When what i ment to say was there was not a RHD one listed. Even though i posted the screen shot of the ETKA page with the LHD version listed but not a RHD one. I think i just confused myself now. yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Apologies Robin, it's been a long day and i'm doing my usual trick of cutting corners when reading threads wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....No problem - I do the same sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]

If the MK5 Golf is anything like the A3 (which it is!) then I should be able to recode the rear lights to LHD specs therefore swapping the Fog and Reverse light over. I'll look further into this though.

[/ QUOTE ]

....For a RHD UK Mk5 you don't need to "recode" anything. You just swop the fog & reverse lenses (smaller and internal lenses) WITHIN the new LED units. The lines with plugs are already present.

[ QUOTE ]

I would love LED lights. But I don't fancy buggering them up before I've even put them on the car tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Which is exactly why I'm getting professionals to do mine tomorrow morning.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Geoff - According to VWSpeed who supplied mine, they are on the 2007 VW database.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh i see i may have confused you too Robin lol (im doing well tonight yelrotflmao.gif ) If you look at the post above the one were you say the above, you will see i posted an attachment of the ETKA with the LED LHD lamps listed.

[ QUOTE ]

....For a RHD UK Mk5 you don't need to "recode" anything. You just swop the fog & reverse lenses (smaller and internal lenses) WITHIN the new LED units. The lines with plugs are already present.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're getting confused now grin.gif

What I meant was;

* I can't be bothered to rip apart brand new LED units

* So my plan was to recode the rear lights to Left Hand Drive settings. Therefore if I had my RHD rear lights still on the car my fog would be my reverse light and vice-versa.

* However, when I put my new LHD LED lights in all would be sound (well, apart from Mr Plod might not like it. But when would they ever twig tongue.gif)