2 warnings in a week over cherished plate

330dcoupe

Today, I've just received my second letter in a week, warning me that my cherished license plate does not meet the standard regulations and unless changed to the correct format, i will receive a heavy fine and 6 points!!!

I bought the plate over 7 years ago and the format has never been changed; There's no fancy lettering, dodgy spacing or screws to make it look like something else. The old bill have never questioned the plate when I've been stopped on numerous occasions in the past...so why they bothered now?

I've replied to the 1st letter, stating that the plate is written in exactly the manner it was\is intended to be written and that it was bought through the DVLA website. I've also asked them to provide evidence, if there's any, of how it should be displayed, in there/the laws eyes.

I just think they're skint and out to make some money of as many mugs as they can.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spacings or is it on the correct background? There must be something wrong with the construction of the plates otherwise you won't have been picked up by ANPR twice in one week.

Get you tape measure out and also check the if the BS number is on the plate. It will save a lot of hassle before writing a stiff letter.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/number_plates_registration_marks.aspx

Worth checking that where the sightings were as someone may have made a copy of your plates? We had a fleet vehicle a few weeks back that got hammered with speeding tickest as someone had copied the plate. Nightmare a smany drivers used vehicle and we had to prove it was not us using the vehicle! Too easy for people to jump on fleabay and buy any plate they want this way.

There must be something amiss to get 2 warnings through - unless it has indeed been cloned. Might be worth taking a trip to the local police to get their opinion as to what is wrong with it? Seems a bit mad to risk 6 points if it just either an error or something you haven't noticed? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There's no fancy lettering, dodgy spacing or screws to make it look like something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why've you had two warnings in the space of one week then? Hell of a coincidence if it's perfectly legit. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I genuinely don't know - hence the reason I've posted this topic. Like I've already said, there's been no problems in the past, so why all of a sudden have I had two warnings?

Whilst I worked in London, I was stopped twice by the police, who had obviously had the necessary scanning equipment in their cars - because they, on both occasions, asked what a car registered to a house in Newcastle was doing so far away from home. Neither of them mentioned the format of the plate then!

I'm going to pop into the police station tomorrow and get one of the plods to come out and check the plate.

[ QUOTE ]

Whilst I worked in London, I was stopped twice by the police, who had obviously had the necessary scanning equipment in their cars - because they, on both occasions, asked what a car registered to a house in Newcastle was doing so far away from home. Neither of them mentioned the format of the plate then!

I'm going to pop into the police station tomorrow and get one of the plods to come out and check the plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to say they had ANPR fitted - maybe they just did a PNC vehicle check via their radio prior to stopping you?

I wasn't aware you could get given points for a "dodgy" number plate although I knew you could get the fine. What's more worrying, if you've paid a lot for the plate, is the fact that the DVLA can "reposess" the number if you get repeated warnings and don't act to comply with the regs. You only, in effect, rent the number from the DVLA.

Might have to break out the full size plate for the VX for a couple of weeks instead of using the 3/4 size plate on the front of the car. Stupid thing is, when I bought the VX it had a self adhesive number "plate" sticker stuck to the bonnet. I queried that with the dealer and they said it was legal (and that they'd checked it out themselves) but according to this mis-representation of number plates campaign, it wasn't legal.

[ QUOTE ]

If the ANPR can read your plate, then surely there's nothing wrong with it? confused.gif

Plus they should let you know what's wrong with it, not just tell you "that's illegal, change it" smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they only said (on both occasions) that it was incorrect.

chav, the plate read: A11AAA