trying to decide which of the following cars

Insurance Jon

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I wouldn't have thought a Q7 4.2TDI would be the way forward if you wanted to save on running costs. Being such a big car they do have a tendancy to go through tyres quickly.

The A8 4.2TDi has a big flaw in my eyes; the engine is too heavy therefore handling is a little comprimised.

Personally, I would consider a 3.0TDi Q7 if you want the best balance between performance and running costs 169144-ok.gif

I just had to read that a few times to take it in....

You recommended a q7 3.0 tdi, easily one of the slowest worst handling vehicles I have ever been in. You actually mentioned performance and 3.0 tdi q7 tdi in the same sentence two things that are mutally exclusive !

It must have been tongue in cheek surely ?

The handling on any a8 cant be compared to the q7. The q7 is a big wallowing, slow beast of a vehicle even the 4.2. Anyone who actually enjoys driving need not apply UHOH7.GIF

I think this argument can be easily sorted with a back to back test drive of an 4.2 a8 tdi and 4.2 q7 I think we can let class talk for itself !

Having driven the Q7 4.2 and RR Sport Supercharged I wouldnt even give the Q7 a second thought, IMO it was not as good to drive and I found the RR more practical.

If youre lookign at these types of cars, then unless you must have Audi my List would be:

RR Sport V8 TDi or Supercharged

Cayenne S (I couldnt stretch to a Turbo)

Toureg V10 TDi

RR Supercharged

Q7

Given the choice you propose - A8.

[ QUOTE ]

The A8 4.2TDi has a big flaw in my eyes; the engine is too heavy therefore handling is a little comprimised.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I find the handling compromised on the A8 is when the 90 litre tank is almost empty, and the back end can become a little twitchy...

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would consider a 3.0TDi Q7 if you want the best balance between performance and running costs 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the economy of the 3.0TDi Q7 to be shocking, and the engine is just not powerful for the size of car 169144-ok.gif

They gave me a q7 3.0 as a loaner when my a8 was in for a service.

It looks nice and like all audis its well put together and the interior is brilliant. It just drives, handles and performs like a 2.0 diesel transit van so if thats what you are after you are golden.....

Well the reason I suggested the 3.0TDi Q7 was it's a little easier on the tyres, has just had a power upgrade, improved economy and personally, think handles great 169144-ok.gif

I'm suprised people are saying it handles badly. I thought for the size it was an amazingly balanced car!

The facelifted A8 is a brilliant car but with the newly updated 3.0TDi now out I don't think the performance gain is worth the extra cash. Especially if you are looking to save money.

Besides, you can remap the 3.0TDI to 280/290bhp and have a lighter and better handling car on the same measure 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well the reason I suggested the 3.0TDi Q7 was it's a little easier on the tyres, has just had a power upgrade, improved economy and personally, think handles great 169144-ok.gif

I'm suprised people are saying it handles badly. I thought for the size it was an amazingly balanced car!

The facelifted A8 is a brilliant car but with the newly updated 3.0TDi now out I don't think the performance gain is worth the extra cash. Especially if you are looking to save money.

Besides, you can remap the 3.0TDI to 280/290bhp and have a lighter and better handling car on the same measure 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair comments on the A8. The 4.2tdi doesn't really offer enough more over a chipped 3.0tdi and the extra 130/150kgs over the front end is a pain, plus its nearly £200 more on car tax and has worse residuals. Strangely, the A8 3.0tdi didn't get the full torque update that the Q7 got (450Nm and not 500Nm).