Newly fitted 19's on my R32 (with pics)

davefish

Newly fitted 19x8 CMS C8 alloys. They're stunning when the light catches them. They can look a little grey when in the shade but I’m very happy and I think they really suit the car. The 235/35 profile of the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres looks perfect. They're not too “rubber band” and not too chunky either. I’ve only driven 130 miles on them so far but even at this stage they offer good levels of grip. The ride is a little firmer but that’s a good thing as there’s now more information coming through the steering wheel. Road noise is up ever so slightly but it’s not intrusive.

I have however had the rears rub a couple of times. On both occasions, it happened when the car squatted after coming down from a hump at higher speed. I’d obviously hoped this wouldn’t happen but I’m sure it can be remedied.

Overall, I’m delighted with my first mod! Here are a few pics...

mycar_031.jpg

mycar_032.jpg

mycar_033.jpg

mycar_034.jpg

mycar_035.jpg

Cheers

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Has it affected the ride quality?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Pay attention, Mook! grin.gif

Dave wrote: "The ride is a little firmer but that’s a good thing as there’s now more information coming through the steering wheel".

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But I can only look at pictures. I can't read...

First of all... VERY NICE

Can you confirm that you got these from TYREMEN in Hull.

I've been there and ordered the same for my GTi.

BUT today I got a phone call from them saying you have taken them back because of the rubbing in the rears... Is this true.

Have you had your car lowered or is it stock...

TYREMEN have cancelled my order unless I say otherwise and I take the hit if they are rubbing....

Please let me know

Cheers

Martininwillerby

I have regrettably had to return the wheels (full refund provided by Tyremen). They’re a friendly, honest bunch and I would have no hesitation in using them again. I would also like to say that my problem is likely to be unique to the MkV R32. Tyremen have fitted CMS C8 alloys on plenty of Audi and VW cars without issue. I put it down to the wheels being 19 inches and the R32 having an already lowered suspension. 19’s may well be fine on a GTI as it has more suspension/arch clearance and I’m sure 18’s would be problem free on the GTI, R32 and most other Golf models. To see the full CMS range visit www.tyremen.co.uk. I know that’s a bit of a plug but I feel they deserve it and I wouldn’t write anything I didn’t believe.

I'm really disapointed but c'est la vie. The ET45 offset did not offer enough clearance for the outside arches.

Darren, your advice didn't "fall on deaf ears". I considered your opinion along with many other people, including a company called APS who use 235/35/19 Michelin PS2's on their MKV R32 with KWV3 coils. Thank you again for your input though.

So anyway... I’m back at the beginning but with four very good tyres waiting for some alloys. I would really appreciate people’s input/suggestions on alloy wheel possibilities for my MkV .:R

Here are my requirements:

Size: 19x8

Weight: 12kg (26lbs) or less

ET: 50 or higher

Colour: Silver

Price: £2,000 absolute max (hopefully a bit less).

Design: Spokes can be straight or angular but must reach the very outer edge of the rim. I don’t want “dish” or 2 piece rims. A clean, elegant but purposeful look.

At the moment my front runners are the O.Z Ultraleggera’s...

ultraleggera_01.jpg

ultraleggera_02.jpg

ultraleggera_03.jpg

ultraleggera_04.jpg

And Volk Progressiv ME’s...

progressivme_01.jpg

progressivme_02.jpg

progressivme_03.jpg

progressivme_04.jpg

progressivme_05.jpg

What else do you suggest I consider?

[ QUOTE ]

Dave - Why is it so obvious that it is your tyres that are wrong and not your wheels

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean... "Why is it so obvious that it is your wheels that are wrong and not your tyres"

If so, it's because I've recently learnt that the stock wheels are ET51 and 7.5" wide and the wheels I bought (advertised for MkV Golf) were ET45 and 8" wide 169144-ok.gif

Any alloy suggestions guys?