Leaking Boot ? ? ?

Sealy

Every now and again I'm finding a wet patch in the boot but for the life of me can't find where it's coming from.

It's in the middle(ish) of the boot towards the drivers side.

Just in case this is a common fault, can any one point me in the right direction.

Nipped out at lunch to have a slow puncher repaired. While I was waiting I took the spare wheel out to find about a 1cm deep pool of water. The water is clear as tap water so that rules out water coming from spray beneath the car and also rules out the washer liquid theory.

It's got to be rain water from either the rear light clusters or boot seal. I'm going to ring my local dealer to see if they know, but I won't hold my breath.

Can't see where it's coming from though, will have to lock my self in tonight and get the misses to blast the car with the hose pipe.

[ QUOTE ]

Nipped out at lunch to have a slow puncher repaired. While I was waiting I took the spare wheel out to find about a 1cm deep pool of water. The water is clear as tap water so that rules out water coming from spray beneath the car and also rules out the washer liquid theory.

It's got to be rain water from either the rear light clusters or boot seal. I'm going to ring my local dealer to see if they know, but I won't hold my breath.

Can't see where it's coming from though, will have to lock my self in tonight and get the misses to blast the car with the hose pipe.

[/ QUOTE ].....Funnily enough i was going to suggest that.You may find watering can works just as well.. 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Took it to the dealer and they said it was the boot seal even though I was adamant it was the break light cluster. They changed the seal and sure enough its cleared. The dealer said they've had quite a few golfs with this problem.

[/ QUOTE ].....Glad you got it sorted 169144-ok.gif

• 2 months later...

Well I thought I'd sorted it.... Its now had a new boot seal and and a new brake light cluster seal, and the water still arrives in the boot after a down-pour.

In again at the dealer to see if the can actually find it this time....

Either Top Gear or 5th Gear did a 2nd hand purchase thing on the GTI. One of the things they raised was to look out for leaking boots as it is apparently a common problem. I thought it was bollox at the time as I hadn't heard of any issues until now. If I remember correctly, they blamed the boot seal too.

Good luck in getting it sorted - keep us updated +++

• 2 months later...

Well it's taken five months and 7 visits to my VW dealer.... but they have finally sorted it.

It wasn't a problem with any of the rubber seals (boot or brake light clusters), there was a tiny tiny gap in the seam of the body work just above where the water washer pipes run through the rubber gator to the boot.

It had to go to the bodyshop to be resealed.

I think I've just been unlucky but something to bare in mind should anyone else have the same problem.