DSLR or not ??

CarMad

Ok so I might have a few pennies to play with so I might go and treat myself to a DSLR. But then again I might not.

How much does everyone use theirs ? Does it sit there doing nothing most of the time, do you find it a pain to carry but a pleasure to get the photos back ?!?! Not too sure on the budget I want to spend yet certainly sub 1k all in to get me going. But I guess its down to how much I'm going to use it and when, my other half already gets annoyed at how many photos I take. UHOH7.GIFgrin.gif

Currently looking at anything from a Canon 40d ( Can I afford the lenses to do it justice ?), the new 450d or go for something off the wall like a Samsung GX-20 (Pentax k20d copy) and save a few pennies on the lenses as a result.

Anyway a quick brain dump but thoughts and experiences would be great from those that are in the same position or have bought one and its been a waste.

Oh and if I get one .... watch the extra forum being added to discuss photos and get some comps going. grin.gifyelrotflmao.gifcoffee.gif

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want a new toy, and have a "pocket" camera already then do it. I got a 400d for simmilar reasons and don't put it down. Fair enough, they're a bit bigger but most of the time i've not found it a problem. Go 450d and use the money left over to get a decent lens, you'll need one if the 400d kit lens is anything to go by - was/is shite.

I'd like a 40D after borrowing a 350D for a holiday in SA and taking some great shots - the lenses and zoom made it for me really but the difference between the quality on my Ixus750 and the 350D was clear.

Not sure I'd ever get a DSLR out other than when I went on holiday though. As a note, the 100-400mm Canon lens looks like a beast!

the short answer is yes. but work backwards, and identify lenses that will take the kind of pictures you want (landscape, portrait, sport, macro, etc.) then find a body that has the features/ability to match. This sounds strange, but if you are going to be into 'tography for any length of time, the major investment is the lenses, not the bodies.

If you're not quite sure what you want, get a couple of lenses and a body and take it from there. Eg a 17-70 and 55-200 will cover most bases, or if you go nikon they have a gorgeous 17-200VR that will do most anything.

nikon, canon and olympus are the main contenders for bodies, but sony and fuji are about too.

re actual model, i'd go for one step above the base entry models - this should give you enough room to learn, provide you with a good range of features, and not have too steep a learning curve.

If you're not hung up on megapixels, a 2nd-hand or refurb older generation dslr is a perfectly good start - just because the camera is two years' old doesn't mean it stops taking quality images.

Also v important to ignore the fan-boys and hype about particular brands, and go and pick up and use the camera you're thinking of buying - ergonomics is a big part of taking good images.

hth.

Cheers great advice. 169144-ok.gif

It think thats why the Pentax k20d is attracting me at the moment. Loads of features, looks like its going a fantastic new sensor so great potential from that side of things and its at a good price level.

On top of that you can fit any Pentax lens since dot and the in camera stablisation also means I'm not paying for IS lenses at a far higher costs each time I want a new lens for my kit bag.

My budget isn't enough to get some of the best lenses, at the moment I'm dipping my toe in the water. I fully expect this to grow but want to start with few regrets if things don't get used alot.

I could get the 40d with the 17-85(or 135) IS USM for sub 1k, or the Pentax with a couple of lenses.

What am I going to shoot ? Well I guess landscapes and motorsport will be main uses and a trip to the far east for my honeymoon may mean a good overall lens might be a good fit.

Info on the new K20d here if anyone is interested.

A mate of mine has just got a Panasonic L1, which is the same as the Leica Digilux 3. Not a current model but they are out there as NOS, so you get a brand new camera and lens for cheaper than current models.

He paid about £700 for it and the Leica lens is awesome along with the 4/3rd's CCD.

All Leica lenses are made by Panasonic and Leica's body is very very similar!

Depends on your spend and the lenses you want as mentioned above.

Oh, and dont worry about people telling you they are heavy and bulky. Try and get to a shop to hold and try out a few different camera's.

A lot of people I know, including myself, prefer something with a bit of weight to it as feel you get better shots as a result of the lens not balancing with the body. I know I am not the best at hand held but I tend to get far better results with the L1 mentioned above than I ever can with my FZ20 SLR "Style" camera which is like a toy compared to the L1.

I have been using a Canon 20D and a Leica Digilux 3.

If it were me I would buy used 350d and a nice 35mm f/2.0 lens for taking pics indoors at night of people with no flash.

At higher isos (ie makes the sensor more sensitive to light) the Canon is pretty much noise free, no ther brand seem to be able to compete with this.

This is a quick snap using a 20d (which I just sold for £300 like a twat!) at iso 1600 and using the kit lens which is not very sharp at all, but shows just how noise free it is.

72954d1202238484-digilux3-raw-noise-awb-problems-italia.jpg

And this is cropped 100%

72956d1202238926-digilux3-raw-noise-awb-problems-italia_crop.jpg

The leica and the whole 4:3 range from Olympus, Panasonic etc. are stunning in other areas, the Olympus has a really nice look to the pictures, the Leica lenses are just incredible and have a look about them that is very different to everything else, and they are all interchangeable being the four thirds system.

But if you want to shoot in low light they are pretty noisy, however they have a certain look that you either like or don't and the noise is more like grain that the noise you get with say a Nikon.

And there are some decent filters in photshop to replicate certain films or papers which work very well.

Iso 1600 on the Leica, a very distinct feel that looks nothing like the Canon, riddled with noise but sort of adds to it.....

72971d1202244744-digilux3-raw-noise-awb-problems-tash-3200.jpg

What is your budget?

Where are the images. UHOH7.GIF

Budget, sub 1k and thats the max I want to spend as its a toe in the water. My parents are in Singapore at the moment, maybe I should ask them to pick something up for me. grin.gif

I'm not sure I want to go for an older model, they move on so quickly the newer models can often add so much more. I do quite like the Canons but its the extra cost to get the best lenses that fit the Canons that concern me.

If I got the Samsung or Pentax I could get some great lenses for far less outlay layer on. smirk.gif

I can see them.

Camera bodies have not really moved on at all, as the sensors are getting more pixels you are finding that noise at higher isos is actually getting worse with a lot of brands.

The body plays a very small part in the image, it is all about the lens.

I would take a 450d and a nice L lens over a 5D and a kt lens everytime.

The lens dictates how quickly the camera focuses, the lens dictates the colours you get, the sharpness, the bokeh, how low lightwise you can shoot.

I don't know anyone who uses a Pentax/Samsung camera, I would rather stick to one of teh systems that has serious support, you may find that you end up with a system that does not have the lenses you want/need.

There is only one lens in the whole range that I would want, that is the 43mm, it is the only one that is anywhere near fast enough for me and it is still only f/1.9.

And it may not be a good lens.

http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetail...4/categoryID/71

The only zoom that looks any good on paper is this one...

http://www.thedigitalcamerashop.co.uk/product_details.php?id=2972

Be careful, buying into a brand with such little choice on lenses as a first time user is not a wise move.

How about a Canon 40d, boxed as new, with the 17-85mm Image Stabalizer lens for £800.

Mate has just bought it and is going to buy the 5D, he has been offered £700 trade in, so if you offered him £800 I am sure he would bite! smile.gif

I reckon it has taken 1000 pics at the very most, knowing him it will be more like 200.

I love both of those pics, above, and totally agree on them being a different style not associated with other brands or systems.

The problem is, I love both so would end up with both setups if I had more cash!

I am a sucker for B&W portraits and landscapes so would end up picking the Leica out of choice.

I am a big fan of Cartier-Bresson and he was one of the first, that was rich enough, to use the more compact Leica's. I think it was down to this that he managed to become who he was?

Just looking at that site now. The initial page is very minimal and different due to positioning of the menu.

Great portraits on there for sure and some of them capture the grit and depth that I have generally only seen in B&W too! Will bookmark that one definitely, thanks fella!

I went through the same just before Crimbo,

I didn't want to buy anything to expensive as due to the size I wasn't sure if I would use it.

In the end I brought a second had Sony DLSR-A100 off ebay for £320 with stock 28-70mm lens a sigma 70-300mm lens 1gb memory card a nice big camera case. I went with Sony because the Image stabilisation is in the camera and they have a cheap second hand value.

It takes a little while to learn what everything does and what setting you should be using but I'm enjoying it. Dont think I could go back to point and shoot now. 169144-ok.gif

Some of the photos i've taken with my Sony!

I went the Nikon SLR route and am happy that I did. Started off with a D40X last June but whilst it was very powerful and easy to use, it was just a bit too small. So, upgraded to a D80 body just before Christmas and can't fault. Just slightly bigger and heavier but makes all the difference in your hand. Much better auto-focus system as well. 169144-ok.gif

So much choice SAUER0421.GIFgrin.gif

Well I'm still undecided. Gizze did you get an answer on if you mate might be interested or not ? My finance approval is having trouble at the minute but I have put in a revised forecast. wink.gif

My current idea is to get the Samsung or Pentax 10d as a good mid range camera and see how it goes. Been reading loads of lens reviews today and I'm more than happy that I can get what I want from them. But then Canon and Nikon are the big two but do I really want to spend the extra pennies ?!?!?

Anyway FYI this is the current lineup of Pentax / Samsung lenses I'd have available, id probably get the basic kit lens and get the new DA*60-250mm f/4 SDM as well.

Ultra-Wide-Primes:

- Sigma 8mm 3.5 Fisheye

- Pentax DA 14mm 2.8

- Sigma EX 14mm 2.8

- Tamron SP 14mm 2.8

Ultra-Wide-Zooms:

- Sigma DC 10-22 4-5.6

- Pentax DA 10-17 3.5-4.5 Fish-zoom

- Tamron SP 11-18 4.5-5.6

- Sigma EX 12-24mm F4.5-5.6

- Pentax DA 12-24 4.0

Wide-Primes:

- Sigma EX 15mm 2.8 Fish

- Sigma EX 20mm 1.8

- Pentax DA 21mm 3.2 LTD

- Sigma EX 24mm 1.8

- Zeiss Distagon T* 25mm 2.8

- Sigma EX 28mm 1.8

- Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm 2.0

- Pentax FA 31mm 1.8 LTD

- Pentax FA 35mm 2.0

- Zess Distagon T* 35 2.0

Wide-Zooms:

- Sigma EX 15-30 3.5-4.5

- Pentax DA* 16-50 2.8

- Pentax DA 16-45 4.0

- Sigma 17-35 2.8-4.0

- Tamron 17-35 2.8-4.0

- Pentax DA 18-55 3.5-5.6

- Sigma 18-55 3.5-5.6

- Sigma 18-50 2.8

Medium-Primes:

- Sigma DC EX 30mm 1.4

- Pentax DA 40mm 2.8 LTD

- Pentax FA 43mm 1.9 LTD

- Pentax FA 50mm 1.4

- Zeiss Planar T* 50mm 1.4

- Pentax DA 70mm 2.4 LTD

- Pentax FA 77mm 1.8 LTD

Medium-Zooms:

- Sigma EX 24-60 2.8

- Sigma EX 24.70 2.8

- Tamron SP 24-135 3.5-5.6

- Sigma EX 28-70 2.8

- Sigma EX 28-70 2.8-4.0

- Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6

- Tamron 28-75 2.8

Tele-Primes:

- Zess Planar T* 85mm 1.4

- Pentax FA* 200mm 2.8 (built on order ?)

- Sigma EX 300mm 2.8

- Sigma EX 500mm 4.5

- Pentax FA* 600mm 5.6 (built on order ?)

- Sigma EX 800 5.6

Tele-Zooms:

- Pentax DA* 50-135 2.8

- Pentax DA 50-200 4.0-5.6

- Sigma 55-200 4.0-5.6

- Sigma EX 100-300 4.0

- Sigma EX 170-500 5.0-6.3

- Sigma 70-300 F4.0-5.6

- Sigma 70-300 F40-5.6 APO

- Tamron 75-300 4.0-5.6

- Macro-Primes:

- Pentax DFA 50mm 2.8