DSLR or not ??

CarMad

Im still considering a Canon DSLR. Most likely a 450D. Its so close to a 40D, its already got some 40D owners rattled.

My issue is, while i want it, I don't necessarily need it, and there are other high value goodies i quite fancy at the moment as well!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know exactly what you mean. For me its probably this or the a new PS3. As I've got a Wii and a new PC the PS3 isn't essential to say the least. All my other pennies are going into the wedding fun so my gadget fund is somewhat reduced for most of this year. laugh.gif

I think a hobby that gets me out more and around new placed etc. is a good thing and part of the reason I'm probably going to get one. 169144-ok.gif

Yeah, he said he would sell it for £800, has was offered £700 for a trade in so £800 is even better, he was considering ebay but can't be arsed.

You could offer him £750 and see what he says, there is 8 months warranty remaining and he has not registered it with Canon yet so could be done in your name.

I would ignore any Sigma and Tamron lenses, alot of people get problems with front or back focusing, so unless you can buy it from somewhere where you can try it on your body they can be more hassle than they are worth.

If you want a small compact system buy the Olympus E510, the Oly lenses are lovely and that has built in IS and can take the Leica lens if you want to upgrade it at a later date. Plus it will take any four thirds system lens.

I wouldn't get too hung up on IS, most people want it for low light situations, but it will only stop you getting blur from having an unsteady hand, it doesn't stop blue from a moving object, so if you are taking pics of people it isn't going to be of any benefit there, and that is what most people want it for, for taking pics of people in low light situations so they don't have to use the flash, for that you need a faster lens.

I would not buy a lens that didn't go down to f/2.8 at the very least, the Leica I have just bought goes down to f/1.4 as I am finding the 2.8 isn't quick enough for all situations.

If I could only have one lens it would be a 50mm equivalent with a nice big aperture, so a 30-35mm on a crop sensor camera, a 25mm on a four thirds system and a 50mm on a full frame.

This is all you really need, you can buy a canon 35mm f2.0 for £180 which is a stunning lens quality wise, razor sharp and great for low light situations.

k10d is 18 months old.

In my research I don't think I've ever read so many varying opinions on whats best its really quite comical. My conclusion are nothing is rubbish and a lot of it come down to individual preference and the big thing budget. In this thread there are what 6 different DSLR's and everyone is really impressed with each of them, for the budget they have spent.

It comes down to what system you want and how many pennies you have to spend and the what brand you want. smile.gif

Well I'm certain I'm going to get one and I think I know which one now. Just waiting for the deal to complete and all will be revealed. sekret.gif169144-ok.gif

It seems that quite a few people on here have SLR what are the best magazines to read or books to get or websites to visit to help get the best out of it.

Also if I become an SLR bore and ask for a photo forum does anything think it would ever get used or will it be a good addition to the place. Not saying we are going to have one but I'd be interested to here. Photo comps at the ready maybe. grin.gif169144-ok.gif

I think that is a good idea mate, I don't like posting on some of the photography forums as alot of them get too into the technical side of things and don't just appreciate a good pic for being a good pic or being a bit quirky, don;t get me wrong some people do, but some of them worry about noise, or not everyone being in focus etc.

My god, if it was that important then Photographers like Cartier-Bresson wouldn't have got very far.

The problem with digital is it can be a bit clinical, we tend to be a bit too snap happy and take hundreds of pictures, and sometimes we tend to miss things because of it.

The other day there was something that grabbed my eye while walking the dog through the University at night, not sure what and still don't know, I think it may have been the light and the way it went into darkness and the unknown, and the disabled marking on the road, I just thought that dark alley is the last place I would want to go if I was in a wheelchair!!

ueastreet3200.jpg

Technically so much is wrong with that picture, but I really like it.

And today the sun was out and the dog was lazing around in the conservatory, the light was wrong and there was mess in the background but it captured him perfectly, he is the only lazy Weimaraner I know!!!

lazy%20days.jpg

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/ is a good forum.

I like the US mags from Borders, they are more into using the camera rather than reviewing loads of cameras that you have no interest in.

I have now moved over to a Leica, and really like it, but as soon as funds permit I will buy another Canon again with a nice fast prime lens. They are clean as a whistle for night time shots, although the new Nikon D3 is looking rather special for high iso shots, but at £4k for the body and lens it is getting very pricey!!

I just sold my F30, had to help fund the new lens, cracking camera though and one of the only, in fact the only compact that you can use without a flash at high iso's.

Just shows that it isn't all about pixels, and how the pixel race has actually reduced quality. frown.gif

Having said that, an SLR will beat it in every department. wink.gif

Had a quick play with the new f/1.4 lens tonight, this was just as I had turned all the lights out in the shop, just the glow from the window coming through, and the camera at 400 iso, didn't need to go any higher.

She will kill me for posting this, but I think it shows how important a fast lens is if you don't like flash photography....

My better half!

fiona.jpg

I normally would agree with you on the tight crop, and B&W is my chosen option pretty much 99% of the time, but IMHO the original shot is far better.

Only after really looking around the shot did I notice that the top left is a little burnt out, and the dog is actually there and not in focus as obviously moving.

I take the point made above about being too techincal and all that and not saying this from that viewpoint at all.

The point I am making is that it does not always matter about how techincal the shot is, and if it has been staged, aslong as the final shot is pleasing to the eye.

I really like quite a few of what is posted here and makes me want to get back into this. If only I had the time!

Oh, and the cash for the Leica I fancy!

Nice shot.

Well I'm now the proud owner of a Canon 40d with a 17-85 IS USM lens. Taken a few shots but I have no idea what half of it does yet so it will be a while before I'm up to speed. But oh my are the shots better than I have ever take before with my Fuji.

Can't want to get out and use it in anger, (when I know what is all does.) jump.gif

I think we will need to have some photographic challenges in the coming months. grin.gif169144-ok.gifbike.thumb.gif

I've just taken the plunge to rekindle my interest in photography and ordered a Nikon D80 along with a couple of lenses, both Sigma, a 30mm F1.4, and a 17-70 F2.8 which seems to be getting rave reviews.

The other driver for this is my daughter is now just turned 1, and I want to catch better pics than my little Pentax. I did buy a Nikon Coolpix 5000 last year which came with a wideangle, telephoto and fisheye adaptor. I just have to decide if it is worth keeping, or sell it to a work mate for £180 ??

1295965-Annabel3.jpg

post-129-137914412258_thumb.jpg

Cracking shot there and you wont be disappointed by the purchase I am sure. I always keep hold of my old cameras and then realised I had 3 or 4 altogether and only using the newest one and a little compact Sony V1, so the other 2 were a waste of space. At the time I could have got tidy money for each of them but now they are worthless and cant give them away!

So ask yourself if there is anything the Coolpix can do that you cant or wont do with the SLR and decide from there.

I suspect you wont use it, personally?