X3 3.0D M Sport - advice on spec etc

davyk31

Thinking of looking at a X3 3.0 diesel M Sport. Registered in Feb 2006, silver grey with black leather, auto, 19" alloys, privacy glass, professional nav and bluetooth. Car has 18,000 miles on the clock and BMW service history.

Spec seems nice to me but is there anything else I should have which might make me look a bit further. Advertised for £24,995 so probably can be got for about £24,000. How does this sound and also what are the book trade and retail values.

Finally is the 3.0 diesel a good option come resale. There seem to be loads and loads of 2.0 d models about with hardly any 3.0. Does this mean they are less desirable. A lot of people argue that the 3.0 X3 is getting up around X5 money but 24k would not buy a very fresh X5.

I have an almost identical car to the one you are looking at Dave, albeit mine is Black/Black. It is utterly brilliant IMO. The 3.0d is a must, it's a fantastic engine with bags of torque. It's a great car to drive too, I came from a Golf GTi DSG and i don't miss it a bit.

For me, 3.0d, privacy glass, 19" Y Spoke alloys, SatNav (with the popup screen) were the only essentials I lusted after. Everything else was a bonus. £24k sounds about right too. I paid £26,500 for mine back in july last year (with 16k miles). At that time most were retailing upwards of £27k from franchised dealers.

[ QUOTE ]

A lot of people argue that the 3.0 X3 is getting up around X5 money but 24k would not buy a very fresh X5.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were looking at new, then you'd be right as i've seen X3's on forecourts (new) for upwards of £40k. Which IMO is utter madness. But if you can pick up a 2yr old model for £15-20k less, then you have a great car for the money.

The reason i chose the X3 was this; i couldn't be assed to spend 40 odd grand on a new X5, and all the old shape X5's just felt like old style E46-esque BMW. The new one felt more like the other current BMW's (1 Series, E91 etc etc) and it was a bit smaller (which pleased the wife). The X3 drove better than the X5 too. All in all i'm very happy with it. 169144-ok.gif

BTW, it has more boot space than an X5. 169144-ok.gif

I was lucky in that I bought my X3 from a VW dealer who clearly wanted rid of it, so got it for a very good price.

He also desperately wanted my GTi, so offered me a very good price. Suppose it was fate, as the X3 is exactly what i would have specced if i was to buy it new.

Doesn't often happen like that though. That said- i would have thought a Gti is more favorable on a forecourt than an X3, so you might be OK - I'm sure Gareth will know more than me.

BTW, I would never pre-negotiate either. Go there with the intention of paying full price (worse case scenario). And then negotiate hard when you get there. beerchug.gif

Yes Gareth the X3 is a UK vehicle. How does it sound price-wise. I think its fairly decent.

Not sure I agree Leman about not pre-negotiating. When they are trying to get me on site they have to try that bit harder. Does not mean I will not push even harder when I get there if I like it.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes Gareth the X3 is a UK vehicle. How does it sound price-wise. I think its fairly decent.

Not sure I agree Leman about not pre-negotiating. When they are trying to get me on site they have to try that bit harder. Does not mean I will not push even harder when I get there if I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds ok to me, but you might want to have a chat with Ben about his car too maybe?

There is no hard "rule" about negotiating such a deal and the real result of that will be where you end up and if you do the deal with the guy.

Went to see the X3 on Saturday morning. Lovely bright day which really helped and first impressions on seeing it were that it was a lovely vehicle. Silver Grey with 19" wheels and privacy glass. My wife was in love immediately.

However, quickly noticed one wheel damaged, then another, then another and then the full house, all four. Obviously the previous owner was a rubbish parker. also the salesman had told me it needed 2 tyres but it really needs 4. Other than that it is immaculate, body and paint unmarked and interior clean.

Went in to talk to the guy feeling a bit put off about the wheels and thinking how can I get them to refurb and fit new tyres. The first thing he said was that they want to put the car out perfect therefore it would have 4 wheels professionally refurbed and 4 new quality tyres....that sorted that battle. Went a drive and loved it, wife now loving it even more which is relevant given that she will be the main driver.

Back to talk about my trade in, my Golf GTI 2006 with only 7000 miles. Salesman revealed he is a GTI enthusiast and has a 3K mile Mark 1 GTI at home, totally loved my car. Looked up his book which listed about £14,400 for it although I do not think that is mileage adjusted. His words were that the book price is totally ridiculous for that car and he would do some work on monday morning.....waiting his call now. I told him I wanted 16k for it but will be surprised if he gets to that.

Still a question about the Bluetooth which is not on the main menu but I emailed BMW again who confirmed the car definently has BT fitted. They said it will not show on the screen but will be operated "by some other means". No detail on how though but thinking maybe I need to try to pair a phone first and then this might put the option on the screen.......what you think?

Also instead of a wheel refurb he offered to contribute £500 or so towards upgrade wheels if I fancied them. Quite tempted although probably need to go to 20" or more likely 21" to make a visual difference and that might ruin ride etc. Anyone seen an X3 on bigger wheels, maybe Kahns or something like that?

I hate Kahns!! be careful, I would guess that adding bigger wheels will cost around £2-2500 after dealer contribution and may decrease the value come trade in or selling it privately.

I would get them refurbed and new tyres put on, get the trade in and then beat him down on price.

Tempted by a wheel upgrade but think I prefer to keep original look. Just been talking to him and think the wheel refurb and tyres are way more expensive than he thought. I wanted Pirelli tyres as are currently on the car and they are apparently £850 + VAT for the set, maybe someone could confirm that altho I am not sure on sizes but 19" anyway. That with the wheel refurb tops £1,000 which is kinda affecting our deal somewhat.

All a bit confusing as his price to change increased by about £600 due to the extra info he has now. Have beaten that back down again to basically the figure that was mentioned on Saturday. It seems though that his cost to buy without a trade in has stayed the same so my best route is to buy that way and sell privately. Think I need to talk to him some more to clarify the position as not increasing the cost for the car straight does not really tie up with what he is saying. Its the usual dealer trick of trying to throw a bit of confusion into the pot.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone seen an X3 on bigger wheels, maybe Kahns or something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No No No No No No No!!!! you'll look like a bad boi who couldn't quite afford a blinged tup X5. It's not that sort of car, and you don't like in LA! The Y Spoke 19"s are the best set of shoes an X3 can have, it's not the softest of rides too, so i would be fearfull of anything larger. How was the 3.0d Dave... surprisingly nippy don't you think - even compared to the GTi?

Thanks LeMan, I am thinking you are against the bigger wheel route and I do agree. Will stick with the 19" with good quality tyres if the deal goes ahead.

As regards performance I was impressed although probably still prefer the GTI power delivery. My wife is used to driving our 325i petrol and when she stuck her foot on the throttle of the X3 it took off much faster than she expected. Very impressively quiet for a diesel for sure.

Just need to get decent cash for the GTI to make it all make sense.

No Gareth its a large used car outlet attached to a main dealer group who have multiple car francises. Part of the Lookers Group. Why do you ask Gareth?

Car is also due a service which I am insisting will be carried out by the local BMW dealer rather than the selling garage.

I have never had so much hassle buying a car as this one. They keep changing the price because the tyres are so dear or it costs so much to refurb the wheels, we cant pay to have a BMW delaer service etc etc after having already said it was all ok. Many long phonecalls this morning where I said a few times I was walking away but at last we have got back to thr price I wanted with wheels refurbed, new tyres and a BMW dealer service. Been there before and then they changed it so you can understand why I am a bit nervous. There are very few 3.0d X3 about here with the correct spec etc and price is attractive or I would have walked away long ago.

You were in the same boat as me mate. I went for two new tyres and a full service. Actually IIRC, the dealer moaned about the price of the tyres when i picked it up; but it was tough by then. They're just playing the game mate, i wouldn't worry.... take it or leave it is what you need to say.

Have they given you a price on yours yet? Again, don't let them take the pis.

The X3 will drop a few hundred in another month or so, so they'll know they need to sell it.