Topping up oil (diesel)

judith_sw

Hi,

The yellow oil warning light came on last week, so I topped up with 250ml of oil. The light stayed on for another day (ie another 2 commutes) so I topped up again ... the light stayed on for another day, so I topped up again - 750ml in total and light has finally gone off. However, when I checked the oil level on the almost cold engine, it's now above the max on the dip-stick! Not by a huge amount, but just at the top of the 'bubble' above the 'max' sign.

Do I have anything to worry about? I'm aware you should never put too much oil in, but when does it become too much - the light has only just gone out!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Judith iamwithstupid.gif

When changing the oil on my cars in the past I have sometimes put a bit too much fresh oil in - usually a few millimetres above the full mark on the dipstick. I've never seen any ill effects.

I understand that after overfilling with oil the first symptom you're likely to get is blue/grey smoke from the exhaust when cornering or accelerating (as the oil sloshes around). Putting far too much in (e.g. literally filling with oil until no more will go in) would cause the engine to fail as soon as it was started, if it would even start.

In short, if the oil is only just above the full mark and you aren't seeing any more smoke than usual then I wouldn't worry. If the engine uses a little oil then the situation will correct itself soon enough. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi,

The yellow oil warning light came on last week, so I topped up with 250ml of oil. The light stayed on for another day (ie another 2 commutes) so I topped up again ... the light stayed on for another day, so I topped up again - 750ml in total and light has finally gone off. However, when I checked the oil level on the almost cold engine, it's now above the max on the dip-stick! Not by a huge amount, but just at the top of the 'bubble' above the 'max' sign.

Do I have anything to worry about? I'm aware you should never put too much oil in, but when does it become too much - the light has only just gone out!

Judith iamwithstupid.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your supposed to check the dipstick when you top it up (and before the oil light comes on), not rely on whether the oil light goes out smashfreakB.gifROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Judith iamwithstupid.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your supposed to check the dipstick when you top it up (and before the oil light comes on), not rely on whether the oil light goes out smashfreakB.gifROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Really helpful. Judith didn't ask for that. smashfreakB.gif

I have a Touran 2.0TDI and the yellow oil light has come on twice since owning the car from new. It has covered around 21,000 miles in 2 years.

Each time I have topped up the car (bunged in) approx 2/3 or 3/4 of a litre. Both times the oil has registered around the max mark on the dipstick. There have been no problems with the car, no oil squirting out anywhere and no smoke issues. I am sure modern engines have breathers or safety valves incase of serious excess oil being put in the engine.