R36 Wagon - Ordered

jon79f

Considering doing the same...well almost, I'd go for the sedan.

No real rush for me to be rid of the GTI. I still love it but the R36 is very, very tempting.

I'm waiting to see it at the Melbourne Motor Show in a couple of weeks. Also need to see the final options list. What is it I'm exactly buying for my 65K? If it has all the bangs and whistles that I want then I'm probably going in that direction.

Also, want to see the colour options. Like the blue but would look at other options too.

[ QUOTE ]

Considering doing the same...well almost, I'd go for the sedan.

No real rush for me to be rid of the GTI. I still love it but the R36 is very, very tempting.

I'm waiting to see it at the Melbourne Motor Show in a couple of weeks. Also need to see the final options list. What is it I'm exactly buying for my 65K? If it has all the bangs and whistles that I want then I'm probably going in that direction.

Also, want to see the colour options. Like the blue but would look at other options too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue is the only decent colour - Others are Black, Silver and Grey.

I got a wagon with auto tailgate, iPod Prep, Sunroof for under $65 on road.

The only problem is the wait.

Drove the 3.2 V6 4 Motion Wagon on the weekend and was sold - fantastic cars.

By the time a 3.2 was optioned up to R36 levels, it was more expensive - so no contest.!!

Am thinking about keeping the GTI as a second car though, and the wait is much easier when I have the current car. I waited 5 months for the GTI, and was driving a Saab - very long wait indeed.

Good luck with the purchase, and if you take any happy snaps of the R36 at the motor show I would love to see them!!

• 3 months later...

Howdy,

I dont suppose anyone has bought an R36 and can give me their opinion?

I have one on order in Oz (Volks have sold their allocation of R36's for 2008), and take delivery end of June.

So far I haven't read any real independant road tests so would love to hear any impressions!

I am gunna miss my GTI!

Cheers,

Jon

Reviews? I don't much care for reviews. To subjective and biased to what the journo 'thinks' it should be like and whether or not he's had his oats last night, the location, the weather, the hotel they've paid for him and all other bits. Drive it yourself and then come to a conclusion.

I'm waiting to be able to drive an R36 before making any decisions.

The first independent review I've found is this one.

VW Passat R36 CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

Its not a bad review but not an overwhelming posiitve one either. Not like the initial GTI reviews for instance.

Thanks Oz, I would like to wait, but my R36 has just arrived in Sydney for pickup in 2-3 weeks.

Dealers are saying they wont have cars available for testdrive until October, as all the first allocation have been presold and are being delivered.

They will let me test drive the one I have ordered, however It is difficult to get a feel for a car in an hour around the city - I do a lot of highway miles and would like to know what it is like. The dealer is unlikely to let me drive the thing for 200kms before I make a decision - given the car is waitlisted and it would be tough to sell a new car with 200kms on it.

The article seemed to have issues with things that UK journos often have issue with - auto gearboxes and ride quality.

I am pretty sure it will be a stonking great car, but like to do my research.

Jon; how do you estimate the used values of this car in Austrailia? Do fast saloons generally have good residuals e.g. Holden V8?

It's just that in the UK when someone mentions the word Passat the last thing that comes to mind is a performance model. Which unless this car is seriously good could be a depreciation disaster for it here in the UK.

Not that I'm trying to worry you, just thinking thats all ;)

Jon; how do you estimate the used values of this car in Austrailia? Do fast saloons generally have good residuals e.g. Holden V8?

It's just that in the UK when someone mentions the word Passat the last thing that comes to mind is a performance model. Which unless this car is seriously good could be a depreciation disaster for it here in the UK.

Not that I'm trying to worry you, just thinking thats all ;)

Nelson,

I suppose with fuel the way it is, depreciation on go fast saloons could be a problem.

This said there is a demand here for go fast wagons, and cars like the Saab 95 Aero, Subaru Liberty GT etc. all do well. Keep in mind the difference in price between a new passat and a new Audi A6 is $40k here, where as I believe it is a great deal less in the UK.

the 3.24Motion Passat is not holding up well at all. They are holding about 40% after 3 years. However the R36 is a different beast, and I think it will fare a great deal better.

Locally Built Holdens and Fords have shocking resale, even the v8 variants. Because they are used here as taxi's and company rep cars, second hand values suffer. So the Passat should fare better than a locally built car.

I have been impressed with the resale on my GTI, had no problem getting the residual amount on trade in - 2 years into a 3 year lease.

So I suppose I will have to just wait and see what happens. This car is likely to be leased for 4 years, and then purchased outright (if it is a good quality product) so depreciation is not a great concern I suppose - though it would be nice if the thing held its value.

I appreciate your thoughts though, and thanks for the post.

We had one delivered to us on Thursday in Black, i think it looks a lot better in the flesh.

I am picking mine up on Sunday - cannot wait. Saw it in the showroom today and was blown away.

Cant wait to drive it as I hear they are really great cars......

Will report back when I have driven it.

I saw a saloon a couple of weeks back and the seats were much better than in the R32 :) As was the cloth combination.

They have a wagon in at Robinsons at Low and I have made inquiries there also. Still waiting for Steve to work his magic on the A6 Le Mans.

I have to say that they both really do appeal and the interior on the passat R36 is very nice indeed.

• 8 months later...
Any update Jon?

Nelson,

Still loving it - 15,000 kms, and going great.

Only issue is the DSG is too jerky when starting off. I have held off addressing the issue until 1st service which is due in a couple of weeks. Only really noticed as I had DSG in the GTI.

Took it on a long twisty drive about a fortnight ago, performed sublimely.

For my needs, it is an absolute cracker of a car. Thought I loved my MkV GTI, but this is in another league.

Still not too many on the roads down under, so the exclusivity factor is great when compared to my last car.

I did do a write up on Tyresmoke which appears here. http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/tyresmoke-reviews/110757-aussie-r36-wagon-review.html

There are also some photos posted here

R36 Side on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edited by jon79f

Nelson,

Still loving it - 15,000 kms, and going great.

Only issue is the DSG is too jerky when starting off. I have held off addressing the issue until 1st service which is due in a couple of weeks. Only really noticed as I had DSG in the GTI.

Took it on a long twisty drive about a fortnight ago, performed sublimely.

For my needs, it is an absolute cracker of a car. Thought I loved my MkV GTI, but this is in another league.

Still not too many on the roads down under, so the exclusivity factor is great when compared to my last car.

I did do a write up on Tyresmoke which appears here. http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/tyresmoke-reviews/110757-aussie-r36-wagon-review.html

There are also some photos posted here

R36 Side on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the R36 +++ I love the idea of these cars. I have no intention of buying one, but must ask for a test drive as I'm itching to find out how they drive. If needs warranted a tourer, then this would be a strong contender. I've only seen one on the roads to date as far as I'm concerned, they have the exclusivity factor here in the UK, too.