Which performance diesel car?

pras1011

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Not exactly the pinacle of automotive design and engineering is it. Why on earth did you ask about diesels in the first place?! confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound like marque snobery to me! Some of you don't seem to realise that we cant all afford fantastically expensive audi cars!! But I do realise that this a audi forum and therefore would never get a "performance diesel" for £2500. I was hoping that people would give me ideas to explore. And by the way the almera gti was a hugely understated csr due to it "bland" looks but however it was a better performance car than a golf gti.

Well said mate! 169144-ok.gif

I'm sure the Almera would give trouble free motoring combined with decent performance for not a lot of money.

Pug 306 gti6 could be another contender.You must be able to get a decent one of those now for your money.Build quality questionable,but they still look suprisingly modern,return decent economy and are quick and handle well.

If you really wanna go oddball and get the diesel you wanted in the first place,then the Citroen Xantia HDI is a good contender.Only 110bhp but can be remapped for a couple of hundred quid to achieve 150bhp with buckets of torque.

You'd be looking at the last of the line 2001 plate for no more than 1500 quid,and yep,believe it or not,they are reliable,nice to drive,and handle great.

Whatever you decide,good luck with your search! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Not exactly the pinacle of automotive design and engineering is it. Why on earth did you ask about diesels in the first place?! confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound like marque snobery to me! Some of you don't seem to realise that we cant all afford fantastically expensive audi cars!! But I do realise that this a audi forum and therefore would never get a "performance diesel" for £2500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't drve an Audi! Or a 330d! tongue.gif

As Mook highlighted, you started this thread in the Audi section rather than 'General Cars' or the 'Oil Burners', hence I guessed you were after an Audi.

There is certainly no 'marque snobbery' from me - I suggested a Peugeot after all, the 206 HDi 2.0 being a deceptively quick car.

Same common rail engine (bar the intercooler) in the heavier Xantia 'Sootchucker' mentions above.

Regular oil changes are the key. If it hasn't got full history, walk away. I'm guessing the cambelt is probably something like 100,000 or 5 years.

PS. Yes, the Golf GTi became an expensive joke with the mk3 and 4!

• 2 weeks later...

You could get a Golf GT TDI for that. You'd be pushed to get a 150bhp version, unless it's a high miler.

There's also an option to get a Seat Ibiza or Leon - 130 bhp IIRC, but still quick and tunable.

Alternatively, look at a Peugeot 306 or 307 - they go like stink.

[ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, if I had a budget of £5000 what performance diesel or petrol car would you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jaguar XJR 4.0 V8, Audi S4 (B5), BMW 330, Subaru Impreza WRX 98 MY facelift, Porsche 944 S2, Alfa GTV6.... etc