Buying Advice

Srobbo18

hi looking for a new car (saab 93 Aero i think) been looking around at them i think they are good value, the question i have is do i get a newer car say 05 plate with higher miles or a lower miles model on say a 03 plate? or sould i just look at the overall condition of the cars.

sould i avoid th first year of the model change?

any ideas would be appreciated thanks

I'd make sure you get one thats still in manufacturers warranty whatever you go for.

My best mate has a 54 plate 9.3 2.0T vector and he's had nothing but problems with it, brake problems, gearbox problems, heater problems, ecu faults, dash faults, its been a nightmare which has spoiled quite a nice car.

Personally? I'd go for newer with higher miles. And as cupramax says, with some manufacturers warranty left on it.

Things are more likely to have gone wrong and been fixed with the higher useage it's had.

But that's just me. I like miles on a car!

I usually buy my cars with 100K+ miles on them. (A8 had 170K, current A6 had 150K+, previous Audi V8 had 150K+ etc etc - The most money I have lost is when I have bought low miles and put loads on them)

Hello!

I think i posted a bit back a while ago about my business partner who seems to be obsessed with Saabs from the 900's up to the new ones. They all seemed to have encountered a fair few problems but nothing "major" just on going niggles. It seems like one thing is repaired and another one comes up.

The bad points are that Saab labour is expensive and isnt from the 3 dealers he has used seems to be very good. Further more, while many of the GM cars use the same electronic diagnostic gear the Saabs require a special "Saab" attachment which is expensive. Many indies he has taken them to say yeah they will take it in thinking it uses the GM diag. Of course, once they get to work in it a few hours later we get a call that they dont have the right stuff gear to work on it.

They are cheap and it seems like lots of power for the money. However, "i think" they are pretty crude and more of a nice idea then a reality you will want to live with.

Id put my money in to Subaru or a Volvo S60 if your looking for turbo charged fun. They seem to be much better thought out, the power is more usable and the cars are all around much nicer and less bits break.

Geoff

[ QUOTE ]

Hello!

I think i posted a bit back a while ago about my business partner who seems to be obsessed with Saabs from the 900's up to the new ones. They all seemed to have encountered a fair few problems but nothing "major" just on going niggles. It seems like one thing is repaired and another one comes up.

The bad points are that Saab labour is expensive and isnt from the 3 dealers he has used seems to be very good. Further more, while many of the GM cars use the same electronic diagnostic gear the Saabs require a special "Saab" attachment which is expensive. Many indies he has taken them to say yeah they will take it in thinking it uses the GM diag. Of course, once they get to work in it a few hours later we get a call that they dont have the right stuff gear to work on it.

They are cheap and it seems like lots of power for the money. However, "i think" they are pretty crude and more of a nice idea then a reality you will want to live with.

Id put my money in to Subaru or a Volvo S60 if your looking for turbo charged fun. They seem to be much better thought out, the power is more usable and the cars are all around much nicer and less bits break.

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, a chappie on here has purchased an older model Saab 9000 Aero (hot one, Viggen I think with the 3 spoke alloys)

and he is well pleased with it.

I've had a saab 9-3 sportwagon diesel for the last year and 15k miles and it has not been near a dealer once, not one thing has gone wrong with it.

I am leaving my job soon and will have to hand the keys back, but I am thinking of getting the aero as well, the ones I have been looking at are around £6k and 53/04 plates with 90k miles on the clock. The performance and equipment as standard are very tempting

I am also considering a diesel vector with 90k on the clock, this is a 55 £7k, an awful lot of car for the money.

I would judge each one on its own merits and check if the cambelt has been replaced on the higher mileage one as that will save money.

Chris

These cars depreciate very quickly from new so there are some good bargains to be had.

2005 Aero's now fetching £10k with 20k miles...

2004 Convertibles fetching £11k with 30k miles...

These are great spec vehicles, and the more recent ones have some cheaper parts, however they were engineered in conjunction with Subaru, so have great engines.

Saab even released a thinly veiled WRX with a Saab badge, although that never made it to the UK.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

These are great spec vehicles, and the more recent ones have some cheaper parts, however they were engineered in conjunction with Subaru, so have great engines.

Saab even released a thinly veiled WRX with a Saab badge, although that never made it to the UK.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

None of the Saab models sold in the UK had any Subaru input at all, only the 9-2X you alluded to above, which was a re-nosed Impreza WRX, not sold in the UK. As mentioned elsewhere, Saab's own models use GM engines.

I've currently got a 2003 9-5 Aero and a 1997 9000 LPT. They're very different to Subarus. I think I prefer the 9000, even though it's a lot older and has done a shedload of miles. The 9-5 feels like a blinged-up repmobile, while the 9000 feels more like an executive car, if you see what I mean. Neither is really sporty, because even though they've got an excess of power they aren't really very good dynamically. Any Subaru will handle far better. They are good relaxed long-distance cruisers, with excellent seats, good ergonomics, good equipment, reasonable economy and reasonable servicing costs if you go independent.

after hearing all that maybe you gy have convinced me the saab is not he best way to go so after looking round at many cars i am back to looking at the one i wanted in the first place a bmw 330, i want some advice please my budget is about 9k, what sould i be looking for is the sport model much different to the 330i what year sould i be looking at, what was changed on the face lift models and how many miles is ok so on so on any advice would be great thanks