I'm in love...

theduisbergkid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE these - carried over from my infatuation with the 6 series before it.

The only problem is that they are heavy buggers - which means the only one that is properly fast by todays standards is the 850Csi which is just the worlds biggest potential money pit......

With you Cruiser, the 635Csi is the one I really want, but I have convinced mself that I could justify an 840i as a daily runner. I don't do mega miles and I charge my customers 40p a mile which covers things. I found an original M6 in Norway recently, I'll post a pic. It looked better than the Lambo that was parked next to it.

Torino, these are heavy beasts, but I think the V12 850 would bankrupt most people. The 840 is no slouch though 0-60 in 7.4ish IIRC, not a rocket, but quick enough.

[ QUOTE ]

I LOVE these - carried over from my infatuation with the 6 series before it.

The only problem is that they are heavy buggers - which means the only one that is properly fast by todays standards is the 850Csi which is just the worlds biggest potential money pit......

[/ QUOTE ]

1260294-DSC00142.JPG

Just for you Torino - Original M6, mothballed, I honestly thought the Lambo next to it was a kitcar, the M6 just looked to solid. cool.gif

Might as well get there in style!

The 850 V12, can suffer from butterfly throttle valve problems. It essentially has 2 (only needs 1, as it is 2 of the 2.5 straight sixes bolted together). My mates one had the valve problem, and 2 cylinders weren't firing properly. He did not notice! Sorted the butterfly throttles and I think all was OK. He did say it was 'rather fast'!

[ QUOTE ]

I love depreciation, c.£50k new (I guess), and prices now down to c.£5k, still looks great, and with a good Indy garage, should not cost a fortune to run either. Seriously considering one of these later this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please make sure of "Full Service History", a lot goes go on those with age. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I love depreciation, c.£50k new (I guess), and prices now down to c.£5k, still looks great, and with a good Indy garage, should not cost a fortune to run either. Seriously considering one of these later this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please make sure of "Full Service History", a lot goes go on those with age. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, makes sense. 169144-ok.gif

Mook, only 19 mpg ?! The book says c.25 mpg. Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

19mpg aint as bad as i thought it would be for such a big beast.

I was getting 19mpg out off my MR2 Turbo and GT4.

Im sure its the insurance and upkeep that would make a dent in the wallet.

P.s) Also love the car and always have done! cool.gifbowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Insurance won't be a problem, I'm the wrong side of 30 in a 'safe' postcode, not too bothered about running costs as long as its pretty reliable. I'll dig out the mpg stats though, because if the v8 only gives 19 mpg, I might as well look at a v12 (850) ECLIPSe.gif

Nothing wrong with the 528, 2000 miles on the clock since I had it, and everything still works perfectly, despite the 170+k on the clock ! Just wondering what I'll be upgrading to later in the year when I've had my first year of business under my belt. Was going to lease something dull, but its my company, so I set the company car policy ! cool.gif

Hate to be the dissenting voice, but I really dislike 'em! Hated them when they came out, hate 'em now.

Stupid long overhangs, awful dash and steering wheel, tiny inside for the length of car, no better performance than the equivilent engined Seven Sereis and looks like Knightrider shagged a Toyota Supra.

I'd rather have a Seven Series and save a few quid, or get a newer one for the same money, the 8 Sereis is just an over compromised chest wig chariot. It doesn't do anything better than a 7 Series, and a lot of things worse. Itr was designed for fat balding Managing Directors to drive to the golf club and think they were "sporty".

It's a 635i or nothing I'm afraid (or maybe an early M3 coupe).

However, I do have an interesting trivia fact. If I remember correctly, I read at the time that these came out that the 850i had two independant electrics and plumbing for each bank of its V12 engine, and in the event of failure could run on just one bank.

And in that half an engine "limp home" mode, it'd still do 125mph. Now that's cool... cool.gif