MOT Test on Quattro drive train

nicknick

I don't know - I seem to think some machines do the accelerating (seem to recall seeing MOT testers holding the controls on a lead whilst they are sat in the car), but if this is on all 4 wheels then I don't think this is a problem as it's the same as coasting in neutral (which is itself an offence).

My MOT tester always places an electronic gizmo on the passenger footwell, then has a quick blast up and down the car park, to test the brakes. He quite enjoys it!

The brake testing machines at MOT stations, would need an additional set of rollers, to allow all four wheels to be turned at the same time. And the second set of rollers would need to be adjustable to take in to account the wheelbase of the car. = very expensive. So most MOT testers instead, take the car out for a quick test ie roadtest.

AND... My MOT test station has just bought all new test equipment, and not only does the brake tester test the brakes, it also weighs the car, and tests the shock absorbers. So if you have adjustable dampers, you can now get them setup identically, if you speak to your MOT tester nicely. jump.gif

BUMMER.

Over here in Northern Ireland all our test centers are governmemt owned and operated, Not your local garages unfortunately, which means we have limited options.

If memory serves me right the test is carried out on axle pairs not with the four wheels rotating.

What can I expect to happen if they test incorrectly.

What is the correct procedure they are suppost to carry out ?

Help.........

Mike

They use a brake test meter - sat on the footwell. The car is driven up to 20- 25 mph and braked hard. The digits in the meter spin forward under the retardation of the car giving % efficiency. If the car pulls up in a straight line then the brakes are pulling up evenly (?). All a bit crude... but that is what was used to test the brakes in the days before MOT stations had rolling roads.

I don't know how to load up or attach a picture but if you go to Google and put in 'Tapley Meter' you'll see what I mean.

D.

[ QUOTE ]

If memory serves me right the test is carried out on axle pairs not with the four wheels rotating.

What can I expect to happen if they test incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should categorically NOT test the brakes on a per axle basis.

If they test it this way and your car breaks, you would have every right to pursue them for the repairs. Have you asked your local Audi dealer?

See just above this post for the correct procedure 169144-ok.gif

http://www.tapley.org.uk/braketestmeter.html

Found a link.... This is a picture of the kit an MOT station should use to test the brakes on a quattro drive train.... Using a rolling road for each axle - as per conventional front or rear wheel drive cars, is NOT an option!

Might be worth asking, prior to leaving the car at an MOT station, how they intend to test the braking efficiency.

D.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know - I seem to think some machines do the accelerating (seem to recall seeing MOT testers holding the controls on a lead whilst they are sat in the car), but if this is on all 4 wheels then I don't think this is a problem as it's the same as coasting in neutral (which is itself an offence).

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you can (if you really, really had too) tow a Quattro car with one axle raised for 50 miles. MOT brake testing surely can only take 0.5 miles?

On another note, if the MOT testing station does not have the kit, then surely they cannot be an MOT testing station? There must be regulations on what kit (and as a result) what cars they can test?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you can (if you really, really had too) tow a Quattro car with one axle raised for 50 miles. MOT brake testing surely can only take 0.5 miles?

On another note, if the MOT testing station does not have the kit, then surely they cannot be an MOT testing station? There must be regulations on what kit (and as a result) what cars they can test?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, wow! Absolutely not true! You can not tow a quattro car with an axle raised - you can tow a quattro car with all 4 wheels on the ground if you absolutley have to, (50 km at no more than 50km/h) but not with an axle raised!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, wow! Absolutely not true! You can not tow a quattro car with an axle raised - you can tow a quattro car with all 4 wheels on the ground if you absolutley have to, (50 km at no more than 50km/h) but not with an axle raised!

[/ QUOTE ]

All my Quattro manuals states I can, just that I would not and I recommend people should not do it.

Haldex based Quattro can, but i would not advise it or personally do it.

This from the Haldex site.

1300641-haldex.JPG

Audi Assist dont tow any Quattro equipt cars, so thats good enough reason for me not to.

Audi did my MOT last time so i dont know what was used, but im gussing a tapley meter.

Wak's site shows a tapley test being carried out. It does not show much, but you get an idea for the distances the test requires.

[ QUOTE ]

All my Quattro manuals states I can, just that I would not and I recommend people should not do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a manual here for a Torsen equipped car, but I'm reasonably sure you can't tow with an axle raised! Could you check it for the sake of my sanity? wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Complete and utter bollox. Take it to another MOT centre.

Muppets ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to check up before saying things?

On a car with a standard (non LSD) Diff when one wheel is rotated in the opposite direction this will not wind the centre diff in the gearbox. (The only problem is how a MOT tester can be sure the car is not fitted with a LSD)

I cant see any problem with rolling testing a quattro car,

VOSA just say dont test a 4wd drive car in the rollers because there covering them self.