Daylight Running Lights on GTI....

RedRobin

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like with many mods, I wouldn't personally go for them but appreciate them on other's cars. I'm of the opinion that if they are well fitted and are quality parts then they don't usually look chav at all. I would like to see close up pics with them off too. From what I can see they look quite smart.

DRL's also serve a purpose - unlike BMW angel eyes and dark tinted rear windows which seem to be finding their way on to every urban gangsters car with round headlights.

My only concern is that they 'might' attract the attention of the law from a further distance than normal. grin.gif

....It's the Marmite Factor - People tend to love or hate LED DRL's, and I respect the opinions of those who don't like them. However, most of those who don't like them say that it's because the chavs will have them or that they'll become too common. Surely some of you aren't so concerned about your self-image to the extent that you won't have something because of the risk of association. Baseball caps anyone?

Sealy - Saying: "a tad too Audi wannabe" isn't necessarily true - Audi merely happen to be the ones who developed them and others are already following IIRC. I don't wish I had an Audi - I considered the A3 Sportback but chose the GTI. Most Audis are superb.

TT- They are S6 Audi DRL's, therefore quality, and my bodyshop is top notch and we have discussed the detail with the car present this morning - I have every confidence and our aim is to make it look standard although of course the cognoscenti will know otherwise.

Interestingly today, someone saw my GTI alongside a standard GTI and asked why the other GTI didn't have the same front splitter as mine - He thought mine was the standard one.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Aaah! Just read the thread in general cars - a photoshop job! Are you going to go ahead with these then Robin?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Sorry guys/moderators for posting in both places - I only posted the pic with no words and my reasoning was that I was only adding to an existing thread in General Cars but opening the thread here for DRL fitting GTI's specifically.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sealy - Saying: "a tad too Audi wannabe" isn't necessarily true - Audi merely happen to be the ones who developed them and others are already following IIRC. I don't wish I had an Audi - I considered the A3 Sportback but chose the GTI. Most Audis are superb.

TT- They are S6 Audi DRL's, therefore quality, and my bodyshop is top notch and we have discussed the detail with the car present this morning - I have every confidence and our aim is to make it look standard although of course the cognoscenti will know otherwise.

Interestingly today, someone saw my GTI alongside a standard GTI and asked why the other GTI didn't have the same front splitter as mine - He thought mine was the standard one.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "Audi Wannabe" because they looked a blatant copy of Audi DRL's, now backed up by the fact that you mention they are actually Audi S6 DRL's.

I do however agree with you that I probably have this opinion due to the fact that Audi have been the first to push this design.

To me (and this is just my opinion) they don't look at home above the spots, and should be integrated into the headlights themselves.

As for your splitter, I completely agree... it looks better than the original. It's subtle and doesn't immediately remind you of any other model or manufacturer (unlike your DRL's)

....Fair enough, Sealy 169144-ok.gif.

However, my opinion differs in that I don't think that Audi should have an exclusive right to LED DRL's - The added safety aspect is much more important imo. Anyway, VW and Audi are VAG and my GTI already has many Audi parts as built in Wolfsburg.

Integrated into the headlights would be perfect but not achievable in my Xenons.

169144-ok.gif

.... 169144-ok.gif

Only possibly a minority on TSN - Don't forget that most here are rather conservative Audi-philes. Much more enthusiasm for these DRL's on other GTI-dedicated sites I'm on, and not just American where you expect them to be more extreme. Same applies to all modding here unless it's an unseen remap and possibly an exhaust. The R32 boys are into modding though.

As long as we can make it look factory-built, it'll get done.

Not a great pic but shows how low key they look when off:

1308283-DRL_Grey_Off.jpg

post-10081-137914413252_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Robin, I might be in the minority here but I reckon that looks tops.

Go for it I say - they look awesome.

I wouldn't not do it just because chav's might copy - be an innovator not immitator!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to join the minority and say that I they look great; great when on and subtle addition when the lights are off 169144-ok.gif

A friend on another site (GTI dedicated) has just bought these at the Ultimate Dubs Show on Sunday. I had planned to go, but.

They've got DRL's built in and also Angel Eyes, but they're not Xenon and cost about £180 a pair. Although I think it's ideal to have them built in the headlight unit, I wouldn't want to sacrifice my Xenons night time illumination.

ULTIMATEDUBS2008062.jpg