Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedRobin

Daylight Running Lights on GTI....

158 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

.... 169144-ok.gif

Only possibly a minority on TSN - Don't forget that most here are rather conservative Audi-philes. Much more enthusiasm for these DRL's on other GTI-dedicated sites I'm on, and not just American where you expect them to be more extreme. Same applies to all modding here unless it's an unseen remap and possibly an exhaust. The R32 boys are into modding though.

As long as we can make it look factory-built, it'll get done.

Not a great pic but shows how low key they look when off:

1308283-DRL_Grey_Off.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm, headlight brows. Flush.gif

....I agree with you there, Ben - I don't like headlight brows either. The Americans seem to though.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

any pics of these on a car?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Pics of which?....DRL LED strips fitted anywhere, or the non-Xenon built into headlights version?

I agree, RR; wouldn't want to sacrifice my Xenons either....

Red i think they look good i dont have a corsa and im not a chav 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

any pics of these on a car?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Pics of which?....DRL LED strips fitted anywhere, or the non-Xenon built into headlights version?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Red.. i meant the non-xenon lamps with the built in leds. Anyone got them fitted?

I don't have xenons on my car and have a nasty scratch on one lamp, so maybe these might be a good idea for me.. any more details? links?

....Hang on in there, robe! I'm hoping to post some pics with those fitted on my friend's Silver Ed30.

169144-ok.gif

Here are the first pics....

hlight002.jpg

hlight003.jpg

More to come in due course 169144-ok.gif

I think they look stunning but not worth sacrificing Xenons for.

Don't suppose you've got any 'full frontal' shots have you? sekret.gif

In isolation it's not much different to seeing the uninstalled product. I haven't got Xenon's and quite like the look of those...

[ QUOTE ]

Don't suppose you've got any 'full frontal' shots have you?

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly what I've asked for. Soon..................

Too much going on there, get rid of the angel eyes, and they look cheap. dung.gif

agree with block. i like the leds, but i don't want naff "angel eyes". if i wanted those i would have bought a five series tongue.gif

orange indicator is also a bit old hat?

Those opaque rings around the eyeballs look like an old fella with too much cholesterol.

[ QUOTE ]

Those opaque rings around the eyeballs look like an old fella with too much cholesterol.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Do you think they look the same on BMW's?

NO but there OEM in that case, i wouldnt fit gull wing doors either but id have them on my lambo because again they would then be OEM.

There are always people who love modifying and those who prefer the OEM look, Robin has done what most younger men would love to have be the money to do to their cars. Each to their own i say.

Me i love the OEM look and i have always loved golf gtis as they were intended

Those lights BTW remind me of the mk 4 golf advert where the car starts crying because its owner has severely modified him lol

....Agreed, Chris - each to their own 169144-ok.gif. I respect those who keep their cars OEM, I had no plans to mod but wasn't happy with the excessive soundproofing in the GTI cabin (my previous car was a totally OEM straight-six BMW with a very nice exhaust soundtrack). I consider hearing the engine as a driving aid in whatever vehicle I drive. Old school perhaps. Coming on TSN while I was waiting for delivery educated me about Milltek and then because it's also a performance exhaust I found myself on the slippery slope! grin.gif

I also think that there's nothing wrong in exploiting a car's possibilities to achieve the car you would individually like but which the manufacturer has necessarily had to compromise for practical and cost reasons. It's a matter of modding tastefully but, of course, individual tastes differ.

I really like those LED DRL's and think we may be able to build them in successfully - We're still investigating the measurements and detail.

1307467-DRL_upper.jpg

169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

I think I agree with most comments so far. These lights initially looked OK but I don't think I could live with the orange indicators and angel eyes. I prefer Robin's idea of fitting lower down TBH.

I wonder how easy it is to change those light settings for european travel?

....Apparently the indicators are only orange when actually indicating (I'm told). But the angel eyes are on whenever the LED DRL's are on - Controlled by the OEM sidelights switch.

When you say "settings for European travel", I assume you only mean the bias for night driving on the right.

169144-ok.gif

I think they look stunning but not worth sacrificing Xenons for.

[/ QUOTE ].....Totally agree.. wink.gif

I agree with RR's essay on how it's a personal thing.....it's why we all go to work so we can earn money to indulge in the luxuries we desire. 169144-ok.gif

Only question I have is, as the MKV golf was homolagated with the indicator across the bottom of the headlamp, is the inboard repeater legal?, On another note wouldn't substituting xenons for those be V expensive due to the harness ?