Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedRobin

Daylight Running Lights on GTI....

158 posts in this topic

[ QUOTE ]

Only question I have is, as the MKV golf was homolagated with the indicator across the bottom of the headlamp, is the inboard repeater legal?

[/ QUOTE ]

....The supplier of those units claims they are UK legal. They were bought at Ultimate Dubs Show last weekend. But they're not on my car so not my problem. Friend's car (Ed30) didn't have Xenons as far as I know (though I thought they were standard on Ed30 confused.gif) - Surely he didn't swap the Xenons!!? NONO3.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

On another note wouldn't substituting xenons for those be V expensive due to the harness ?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Yes, most definitely very expensive to dump the Xenons. I wouldn't want to sacrifice what the Xenons deliver at night. Hence my investigating the upper fog vent location.

169144-ok.gif

Angle eyes,

Why anyone would want to make a good car look like a BMW is beyond me.

[ QUOTE ]

cough*** chav *** cough - All the corsa boys will have them soon!!!

Sorry Robin, too OTT for me

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto sekret.gif

....Fair enough if you don't like them. But I like them and their safety aspect and I don't see them as 'chav' in their intended location on my Mk5 GTI.

Assuming we can make the installation look professionally done, I'll give it the green light and look forward to posting pics and actually using them in the same circumstances I would use just sidelights or dipped heads in daylight.

169144-ok.gif

Just seen a pic of the non-Xenon headlight units with LED DRL's built-in - They look awesome imo but, as said before, not worth swopping Xenons for.

hlight023.jpg

And no, he doesn't mind his plate being shown.

The indicator section looks like an after thought to me.

I can understand Robin why you want the daytime running lights, its just i have this thing about fitting stuff from other makers cars. I guess they just look like the prototype mk5.5 that was photed a few times out and about.

....Actually, I'm liking his indicators less and less.

The LED DRL's I'm investigating fitting are Audi/VAG and there's already lots of, well a few, Audi/VAG badged parts on the GTI.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah - I agree - not liking the indicator's on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

With you on that one, Puttling, but loving the DRL's 169144-ok.gif

I think they look better now they're fitted on the car. I wonder if those projector headlamps perform better that the already good standard non-xenon OEM type?

[ QUOTE ]

They're going to be standard on the new Scirocco.

[/ QUOTE ]

....What are? - DRL's? Xenons? Projector type?

Thanks 169144-ok.gif

Here's a pic to show real-world appearance. I really don't think that anyone can justifiably claim they look in the least bit chavvy, and they don't give too much dazzling glare either imo.

The angel eyes are on but don't show up much in daylight.

headlightpic001.jpg

headlightpic002.jpg

169144-ok.gif Thumbs up from me cool.gif

sorry RR but I still think those lights need to go in the skip at the rear of the car...

[ QUOTE ]

Here's a pic to show real-world appearance. I really don't think that anyone can justifiably claim they look in the least bit chavvy, and they don't give too much dazzling glare either imo.

The angel eyes are on but don't show up much in daylight.

headlightpic001.jpg

headlightpic002.jpg

169144-ok.gif Thumbs up from me cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, liking those DRL's a lot, but not the angel eyes...+++169144-ok.gif

I dont like the orange looking lights?? Also looks like they have steamed up??

Spoils the car in my opinion. The row of bulbs looks quite thick, perhaps they would look slightly better if they were thinner.

[ QUOTE ]

Spoils the car in my opinion. The row of bulbs looks quite thick, perhaps they would look slightly better if they were thinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Each to their own, as we all very well know 169144-ok.gif. But, to be fair on the 'thick' comment, I think that's largely down to the pic being level and straight on and therefore showing them at their very brightest.

Sorry Robin - Very Chavy - Just not my cup of tea

....No more chavvy than someone putting big MTM alloys on a S3, some might say (but not me).

If it had an Audi badge instead of a VW, would it make a difference to your opinion?

169144-ok.gif

Im not even going to get into it RR. You ask for peoples comments, I give mine and you come back with that!!!

And the Audi/VW badge - How ridiculous is that comment......

in spite of his comments to the contrary, me thinks RR is actually looking for people's approval to get a pair of those headlights himself... shocked.gif

Oh I realise that, he usually doesnt wait for approval to mod his car.....

I made some conservative comments about this earlier in the thread, and i am not a lover of visually modified cars.

But these lights are just hideous and thats that ...........