• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEDIUM DAYLIGHT - DRL'S OFF :

DRL_Off_medium.jpg

MEDIUM DAYLIGHT - DRL'S ON :

DRL_On_medium.jpg

IN SHADOW - DRL'S ON :

DRL_On_shadow.jpg

Very easy to fit strongly and securely and a much better fit in the vent panels than the fogs. But a nightmare to find the wiring route so as to avoid throwing error codes on the absent fogs!! Dealer's 'VAGcom' needed. 4 hours labour. They even go out when the automatic lights come on.

Not dazzling (Snoopy!! :grin:)

+++:cool:

Blimey, never mind the DRL's Robin, how about getting someone to re-paint that lower front spoiler of yours. :o

Looks like stone-chips that's then causing the paint around it to flake off.

....Yes, it's stone chips - I do drive the car quite a lot. I'm not that bothered and will get it painted in due course. It saves a lot of chips from my hood (bonnet, if you prefer).

Don't get Robin started on Bra's next thing you'll know they'll be a picture of some half naked lovely up in this thread... [/HINT]

....I can take a hint! And it would be rude to deny my fellow TSNer's requests :grin:

She would have to have a red bra to match my throbbin' red GTI :

JessicaCustodio.jpg

+++

P.S.- I'd love to turn on her DRL's!

....I can take a hint! And it would be rude to deny my fellow TSNer's requests :grin:

She would have to have a red bra to match my throbbin' red GTI :

JessicaCustodio.jpg

+++

P.S.- I'd love to turn on her DRL's!

Now DRL's on her would be dazzling - totally bloodly blinding infact.

Nice find Robin ;)

Back on topic - your DRL's do look very neat indeed. If you have a close up pic I would be keen to see how well they fit in the vent mouldings. I guess they could be fitted linked to the standad fog light wiring but with a resister included to fool the vag com. I do understand the benefits / laws surrounding how these in theory should be wired / operated though. +++

- your DRL's do look very neat indeed. If you have a close up pic I would be keen to see how well they fit in the vent mouldings. I guess they could be fitted linked to the standad fog light wiring but with a resister included to fool the vag com. I do understand the benefits / laws surrounding how these in theory should be wired / operated though. +++

....At the moment they fit absolutely perfectly in the vent mouldings - Couldn't be a better fit and far better than the poor oem foglight fit (not difficult!!). But, this position throws the beam slightly to the outer sides. This looks emphasised by the fact that the Hella unit's clear glass(?) front lenses are also angled to the body of the lamp. I'm recording this morning but will contact Hella about this later today. Currently these lamps are not subject to alignment checks under MOT tests.

In some ways it's an added advantage to spread some of the beam slightly sideways, especially regards being seen by oncoming traffic.

Yes I could have wired it up as if they were foglights but I didn't want to always have my rear lights on, or sidelights, when running these Hellas. Also, in case I start getting police attention (very doubtful considering being checked out visually by a couple in an unmarked Focus yesterday and not being stopped), I want to be totally legal. I want to be legal in Europe too.

I'll do some close-up pics as soon as I can.

+++

My VW dealer repositioned my DRL's today during my 50,000 miles service. They now correctly point dead ahead and still fit the vent panels better than the stock fogs do! It seems to be difficult to show what they are like in a photo - They give a very bright crystal white light and appear more obvious from a distance. They are now even more securely fixed using nylon washers and stainless steel bolts.

DRL_On_18June08.jpg

....Here's a couple more pics : -

DRL_Off_19June08.jpg

DRL_On_19June08.jpg

I sent an email with a pic to thank the various guys in the Hella team for their help and have had this reply so far : -

"Wow, this is great. This pleases me for you that we could help. Your

car looks really first-class."

I've also been looking further into my legal position with dedicated DRL's of this type and I'm super-confident I have nothing to worry about - Everything complies and the polycarbonate lens are even stamp-moulded with certification. If anyone here is thinking of getting these (I can get 20% discount currently), do NOT deviate from the switching/wiringsetup because the way in which they activate is a fundamental proviso of them being legal, especially in some European countries.

....Thanks for the compliment Newey and a Warm Welcome to Tyresmoke +++.

As Dolly Parton says [Thanks Bub] - It takes a lot of money to look this good!

I'm so happy about the DRL's. I've had them a couple of weeks now and it's a great feeling of confidence that you might be more easily seen without dazzling other road users with headlights. Also, because they come on automatically with the ignition, I don't have to think about them and likewise when I switch on any other lights they automatically switch off, even with the standard auto-light feature. And I think they look uber-cool too :grin:

I think they look great and, as I have said on here before, I am a big believer in DRLs being the way forward.

Just wondering if they have some kind of European type approval for the standard Golf, and whether it is therefore technically illegal to fit them to a model they are not designed for?

Be interesting to see how long it will be before you get stopped by plod, and what the outcome would be.

Also wondering if these would fit an A4 where the front fogs usually go.

I think they look great and, as I have said on here before, I am a big believer in DRLs being the way forward.

Just wondering if they have some kind of European type approval for the standard Golf, and whether it is therefore technically illegal to fit them to a model they are not designed for?

Be interesting to see how long it will be before you get stopped by plod, and what the outcome would be.

Also wondering if these would fit an A4 where the front fogs usually go.

....They are a standard size 90 mm diameter and that seems to be a fairly universal size so should probably fit your A4. They are designed for universal use.

The European approval (I don't have the actual ECR refs to hand) is for the lamp and nothing to do with which car they are fitted to. They have to be fixed more than 600 mm apart, above ground 250 mm minimum and 400 mm (IIRC) maximum.

The polycarbonate front glazing carries the EC approval refs embossed and includes the "DRL" letters. Plus I carry the manual in the car to produce to any authority.

The EC rules include how they should be wired to work - On/Off with ignition etc.

I almost want the police to stop me so I can test what happens!

+++