Manual or DSG

Moschops

Okay,

Nearly come to a decison on which GTI, normal edition or the ED30.

Now next question, which is better and is there any known problems with either gearbox? I have searched on here, but would like personal opinions.

Hopefully got a text drive in both types tomorrow PM.

Then down to placing an order.... 169144-ok.gif

Thanks Peeps.

And BIG thanks to Claire for the meet this morning to view her ED30 in Candy White 169144-ok.gif

Manual, i've had both. The GTI has so much torque that you dont need to change gear that much unless you live in London.

The DSG is good but removes you from the action that little bit and changes when you dont and sometimes not when you do, i didnt like the loss of control.

ED30 with DSG, you won't look back.

The only way to find out is try a DSG box for an hour or so in different driving conditions and in each of the modes and see how you like it. I dislike automatics but love the DSG box. It's not as involving as a manual but it does have a lot of other benefits and yes it can be annoying at times when it seems to have a mind of it's own but you do have to change your driving style to get the best out of it.

I find the DSG the best thing since sliced bread. Literally. Instant gear change, smooth as silk and so much damn good fun!. Personally speaking, I'll always have to own a VAG car as I can never see myself going back to a manual ever again. DSG is pure awesome grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I drove a Porsche at the weekend and absolutely loved it! However, it was manual - A very nice box, but I so wanted it to have DSG. My left leg aches!!

There's loads posted on the DSG if you do a Search. It's far more than an 'automatic' and it's no less involving than a manual - You just don't need to foot a clutch and can change faultlessly and superhumanly fast using the paddles or floor stick tiptronically if you prefer.

I now drive manually using the paddleshifters all the time and only pop her into D-mode for urban or crawling traffic. You have complete control all the time and can even override D just by using a paddleshift. I can't fault DSG but there is a learning curve because it offers you so many optional combinations of use.

Mechanically it's as reliable as any other car component and in fact clutch wear is reduced because your gf can't slip the clutch! grin.gif

169144-ok.gif

The DSG vs manual decision can only be down to personal preference. My preference until I drove an .:R with DSG was for manual but having driven both I found the manual box quite notchy and the DSG was absolutely fantastic.

Drive both and take your decision from there but don't rule DSG out as being an 'automatic' gearbox - it's much better than any other auto I've driven.

[ QUOTE ]

I drove a Porsche at the weekend and absolutely loved it! However, it was manual - A very nice box, but I so wanted it to have DSG. My left leg aches!!

There's loads posted on the DSG if you do a Search. It's far more than an 'automatic' and it's no less involving than a manual - You just don't need to foot a clutch and can change faultlessly and superhumanly fast using the paddles or floor stick tiptronically if you prefer.

I now drive manually using the paddleshifters all the time and only pop her into D-mode for urban or crawling traffic. You have complete control all the time and can even override D just by using a paddleshift. I can't fault DSG but there is a learning curve because it offers you so many optional combinations of use.

Mechanically it's as reliable as any other car component and in fact clutch wear is reduced because your gf can't slip the clutch! grin.gif

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself. I missed my DSG so much its cost me a packet to change back from an Alfa to another GTi. blush.gif

I arranged a test drive of an R32 with DSG a few weeks back on a friday night. Went on the following monday to test drive and it had been sold. No other DSGs around so they got the keys to the sold car and I had a play.

That combination is what sold the car for me.

Most that have gone for DSG love it as do most people.

Myself i get to drive both a manual and a DSG GTI regular.

If i was buying again today even if they both cost exactly the same i would buy a manual one again simply because i like the interaction.

Blimey what a response.... notworthy.gif

Well had a test drive of both today and both were ED30's, one in grey and one in red.

DSG first, had a drive of this car a couple of weeks ago but it was only for 20 mins or so. My wife wasn't keen so we were both off work today and pre booked the test drives last week.

It was a crap day as I'm sure your all too well aware, well we were both impressed, liked the paddle shift too. Silky smooth change up through the box..nice. Had a good run out and the wife also had a play, I must admit she had me squirming in the seat a couple of times, late breaking and flooring it.... ECLIPSe.gif

Next up the Red manual, well as soon as we drove off it seemed a lot noisier (spell) transmission wise but both mileages were comparable. Had a blat around in this car, for some reason the wife didn't want to drive it after the DSG... wink.gif

Was impressed by both cars in there own way, as some state the manual is more involved and the DSG lazy when you want it to be and involving when you want to play 169144-ok.gif

Anyway the deal has been done (see separate post).... 10-12 weeks wait. How many sleeps is that.... ices_blah.gif

Thanks to all that replied beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure i would have been happy that my car was being used for test drives after it's been sold

[/ QUOTE ]

couldnt agree with you more Cuprabob. Id have gone ballistic if Id found out. I did however take that into consideration during the test drive

DSG..... great for lazy driving but ready and waiting should you want to go psycho.

If you do want to put your foot down you've got to put it in sports mode or paddles only because in normal drive it just seems to rev more and go nowhere.

Was in the same position and don't regret the decision one bit.