18" wheel options on Mk V

Fergy

A friend has a MK V GTi and has the 17" std wheels on.

He wants to fit the 18" but is put off by the refurb if they get scratched. He did mention that there was an anthracite option doing the rounds that isnt polished.

Anyone know of these and any pics?

ta

....Even with white worm surface damage, the Monza 18's look great imo and I've never understood the need to change them on the GTI - They are very much part of the car's whole identity and unique.

When mine have got a lot worse, I'll visit Lepsons and have them powder painted a silver/grey to match the colour of the Ed30 alloys. Then I won't have the white worm problem again.

169144-ok.gif

It's got to be a UK road issue, cos I've not had a problem with white-worm corrosion on my monzas (I'm in Ireland) and I've never seen any other Irish GTI's with the issue either. Its strange how it doesn't seem to happen here, cos we've surely got the worst roads in Europe laugh.gif

VW's corrosion protection is nowhere near as good as BMW's. The wheels on a 10 year old BMW will look perfect, better than a two year old VW. The same applies to other bits of trim and the paintwork itself. However the VW cars are much cheaper, and in the case of the GTI, much better.

[ QUOTE ]

VW's corrosion protection is nowhere near as good as BMW's. The wheels on a 10 year old BMW will look perfect, better than a two year old VW. The same applies to other bits of trim and the paintwork itself. However the VW cars are much cheaper, and in the case of the GTI, much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem hits all similar coated wheels, m3 wheels suffer very badly and vw wheels aren't cheaply made, they are BBS and £370 a corner and up there with the best in the business. smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem hits all similar coated wheels, m3 wheels suffer very badly and vw wheels aren't cheaply made, they are BBS and £370 a corner and up there with the best in the business. smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, Ryan 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

VW's corrosion protection is nowhere near as good as BMW's. The wheels on a 10 year old BMW will look perfect, better than a two year old VW.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Isn't it in fact down to BBS and not VW (or BMW)? I have heard of the same issues on other lacquer finished BBS alloys on other brands of cars.

I don't think it is anything to do with salt or water as when I was getting two of mine replaced it took two goes before I got ones without worms.

These were brand new wheels, still boxed and never been on a car. The white worms were already starting under the laquer.

The other two original wheels, which are now three years old, are still in perfect condition. 169144-ok.gif

....Perhaps it's just down to the lacqueured seal failing then.

My white worms appeared during my car's first Winter with the 18's and after I had not had the opportunity to wash my alloys for about 3 weeks. I usually wash my alloys even if I can't wash the rest of my car.

[ QUOTE ]

It's called filiform corrosion. VW's corrosion scientists are not a patch on BMW's. That's a fact.

I should know, I have a PhD in the damn subject and have acted as consultant for Mercedes during the development of the new (secret) S class.

[/ QUOTE ]

knickers twisted....!!! But fair enough! slap.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It's called filiform corrosion. VW's corrosion scientists are not a patch on BMW's. That's a fact.

I should know, I have a PhD in the damn subject and have acted as consultant for Mercedes during the development of the new (secret) S class.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm sorry but I don't quite fully understand what you're saying.

VW's corrosion scientists may not be or are not indeed a patch on BMW's. I understand that filiform corrosion appears as a network of corrosion trails, of a wormlike structure, particularly beneath thin organic coatings, and that salts containing chlorides, which have been left on the surface prior to coating are suspected. So, my logic is that the problem is either down to the alloy wheel manufacturering (by BBS, not VW in this case), or their applied lacquer coating subsequently failing as an effective seal.

Am I misunderstanding you, and you mean BBS when you write VW? And why the comparison with BMW regarding this specific problem?

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of the above makes any sense!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if a bmw scientist or technician can recitfy the vw alloy corrosion problem? as i am getting annoyed with the alloys corroding!

Only if they order a different finish from a different outsourced company. Remember its down to the companys that make the wheels not the companys that buy them. BBS make the VW wheels god knows why after decades of problems with BBS why VW still go back to them.