Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
330dcoupe

Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI

17 posts in this topic

n537713428_443489_4344.jpg

Well, I finally said a heartfelt farewell to the BMW 330cd sport, and picked up my new 'run around'... A black, 05, Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI, with 36k on the clock.

So...first impressions: Rather good!

The exterior: It's a nice looking little thing - nothing special, just right...Although The oval exhaust is a bit extravagant, I think - but it also set's the car off well from the standard Ibiza's. Perhaps a smaller one that just fits to the edge of the bodywork would have been better?

Interior: Well, it's a VW based car: so that tells you it's solid and well put together (but I can just see it getting a little rattly in future) - nothing spectacular, all ergonomically well placed. It's black interior with decent Seats - which hold you in place well, but I would prefer them to sit a little lower to the ground\chassis floor.

The car didn't come with many toys, which, I have to admit, is quite hard to get used to - considering I had every toy one needs in a car, in the BMW. It has a decent CD/Stereo system, Air Con and full electrics. But i suppose we get what we pay for. I am planning to get a 'OEM Auto dim' rear view mirror, which I've had in my last 3 cars - It's a massive help for night time driving.

Ride and handling: The ride is my biggest gripe on this car, thus far. It's harsh. Very harsh. The car sits on 17's and from what I can tell, the tyres are low profiles, which probably doesn't help.

On the plus side of the harsh ride, is the handling. It's quite superb. Allot better than I had first initially thought. Which makes it a lovely city and town-town car (unless the road is full of pot holes yelrotflmao.gif). There's no body roll and I'm yet to find a corner that exposes even a hint of under steer.

Engine: It's one of the old 1.9PD engines, that's been tuned by SEAT to produce 160bhp and some 250ib's ft of torque. In a car that weights only c1200kg, it's quite a bit of wallop to have. The car rev's very differently from the two PD engined Golfs I've owned previously. The exhaust gives off a nice rasp, as the car pulls very hard near the 5,000 rpm line. The in gear acceleration is impressive, also. On the motorway, it was pulling very cleanly from 50mph onwards, in 6th. I did 350 miles on my way back home from London (via Birmingham) and it returned an excellent 51mpg. Taking in consideration 50 of those miles were spent in the city of London and Birmingham, and the remainder had to put up with the M25 and M1 roadworks at Luton. So it is doing what I bought it to do, and that's be economical.

So in short:

Pluses: Sounds nice, goes and handles well, quite a funky little car

Minuses: Ride and lack of luxuries!

It's no BMW 330cd sport - but then again, how many cars are? my plan is to keep this for about a year and then chop it in for a year old M3. The thing is though, i have a sneaky feeling that I'll end up keeping it smile.gif - It's cute and funky and I like it

grin.gif

Nice little review, you could have given it a good wash though. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Having had the car for a week now - there's a couple of things I'd like to add to my comments earlier.

I've been very surprised at how much feed back I get from the steering wheel. Having come from the rear-wheel-drive-feel-it-all set up of the BMW - I'd only half hoped the steering would be decent, to say the least. So that's another plus in it's favour. As were on the subject of steering, it does have, at times, horrendous torque steer out of corners. So there's a mark in it's 'minuses' column.

The seating position still bugs me, but I'm getting used to it. The clutch pedal is far too high. I'm used to the almost none existing dip of the BMW (having had 2 previously and a combination of nearly 4 years)

So, for now, that's it. I'll keep adding...so watch this space.

Good review. I've driven the petrol version round a track and it's a great car

Oh and if you fancy more weight to the steering then because it is electric then you can alter the weight via computer (vag-com / dealer).

The other things we did not like about ours was also the wind and road noise is very loud compared to rivals or other SEATs. The dash is solid plastic no touchy feel good stuff in it. For some reason too the radio is a far worse quality tonally than the CD player theres a huge gap between the two.

'Snoopy', I have to agree with you regarding wind\road noise. It can be very tiresome on the ears after a while. As for the cabin, I've already mentioned it, I think it could become quite rattly after a couple of years/higher mileage, simply because the suspension is so firm.

It can from what i read when we had one and i was a regular member of the seatcupra.net forum. Ours was fine though. Main problem was the rear screenwash pipe loves to come off behind the hatch panel in winter, glue that one on and then it comes apart at the join behind the shelf support much easier to get to but still a pain. The Screenwash consentration does not seem to help as there not that tight a fit.

How do you get on with the wind-screen wipers in the SEATs? I find them annoying. In the car I have at the minute they're obviously geared towards left hand drive - they come IN from the OUTside. I.e. when off they rest on the right and left extremes of the window.

Results in the passenger getting a cracking view of the road in the rain but me getting a less good one.

Mac, Snoopy - did either of you chaps every have the Cupra chipped/remapped?

Ooo, not me guv. I only have a Cupra cos it's what was in the car park last week when I finished work grin.gif

Mac,

The current Ibiza has standard wiper setup unlike the new mk2 leons etc.

330dCoupe,

No mate i did not chip mine. I know on seatcupra.net theres quite a few who did.

Ummm, sorry - I know it's a SEAT, I think it's a Cupra.

But it defo has the opposite window wipers smashfreakB.gif

I'll have a look-see what it is when I go down to the garage in the morning UHOH7.GIF

Our Leon has the wipers going up the A pilar. Is this what you mean Mac?

We've never found them to be a problem.

Yes, exactly what I mean. It's annoying.

LOL! Can't say I've taken much notice of the way the wiper works!

Some other things I've found in the last few days: The indicators are those touch indicators. The Stereo tones down, so you can here the fuel light come on (then turns back up again).

The cars performance levels continue to surprise me. Which is nice. It's not 'laugh-out-loud' quick on a motorway, like the BMW was (after re-map) but around town and b roads, it's an absolute hoot. I still think the suspension is too hard though.

Most canbus controled cars i have driven have the indicators that blink 3 times when touched.

At least there not like the Astra setup they drive you mad.

I found them handy in the ibiza myself were as everytime i got back into a car without them i missed them.

I never noticed the stereo do that but i don't think i was ever the one who ran it low enough for the light to come on , it just seemed to be on when i went to use it lol. sekret.gif